Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    You missed my point I believe: It may represent a new user, but that would not automatically mean a new user willing to purchase a new iPad later. And like I said, there is no way to count market share increase/decrease for this kind of user.
    And why would you count that? I have been in marketing for 25 years but the particular metric you are describing (potential new users who may potentially upgrade) is something I've never come across.

There is one "upgrade" number we look at: retention. How many users of the product plan on upgrading when given the opportunity.

Whatever you are parsing up there, is not something useful. Except perhaps in weird arguments like this.
    Last edited by finngirl; 03/11/2011 at 09:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    I wonder how HTML5 would affect battery life?
    Chances are that web designers will continue to be "artists" first. It means that if they are going to design a minute to load flash-infested splash page with h.264 videos everywhere, they are going to design the same a minute to load HTML5 splash page with webm videos everywhere.

You are going to have h.264 hardware accelerated flash. You are probably not going to have hardware accelerated webm. Therefore, HTML5 will be even worse in battery life.
    -- A pretty good video of one of many iPad lines today.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    -- A pretty good video of one of many iPad lines today.

This pretty much says everything. Massive appeal. "True multitasking be damned".
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Apps can do certain tasks without being open. For example: open Facebook, upload a photo, close the app and it continues to upload the app in the background.
    But that is severally limited. Depending on the app. And I am not sure why.

Please, do try to stay on topic here.
    I am not an Apple fan, but let me tell you why the iPad 2 is both hype and great. It's not bad hyping your product up, assuming you can meet that hype created around your product. Nintendo understands this, and so does Apple. Palm understands this too, because the original Pre was hyped yet the hardware could not meet the hype expectations.

So lets begin. The iPad 2 being thinner is a plus for many because it feels better in the hands. Being lighter will be a plus to people who hold it for long periods of time. Having Garage Band is a plus, and if you have used that software you'd understand why (who care's about the built in speaker -- buy your own if it is not good enough. It's like $10). iMovie on iPad is a dream come true for me. I wish the TouchPad has an app like that.

These are just some of the reasons why the iPad 2 is both hype and great. Someone else care to expand?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Ok the iPad 2 is hype. The people, like me, who brought one are lemmings. A lemming that is doing Netflix, Slingbox, Citrix, remote control of PCs, streaming my movies on the road, sending 1080p video from my device to my 65inch, playing a couple of games, editing documents and uploading to the cloud so my teammates and get them, and with the Whistler app, I can even make and receive phone calls on the iPad if I chose (speaker or headphones),rebooting servers in Costco, and later today facetiming with my grandchild.

So tell us, what are you doing today? Searching for more articles about how great webos is? I can sit back and relax and not worry about when the touchpad will come out, cause I'm enjoying mobility now. When the Touchpad is out, if it lives up to it's "hype", I'll order one. (Of course I'll have to hit the gym a little harder, being that I'll be used to the weight of the ipad) Just kidding.

One other thing, how exactly will HP market homebrew to the webos novices possibly interested in future webOS devices. The only homebrew I want is the Heinekin I buy at the store

Homebrew is not sales point, it smacks of something lacking.
    'Homebrew smacks of something lacking'?
    I guess to be fair, Jailbreaking would also smack of something lacking.

Wait,
    does homebrew void your warranty?
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    But we are also talking about a device that doesn't give you flash and doesn't give you multitasking.
    Which is why those line ups to buy the Xoom are so much larger than those for the iPad2.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

Wait,
    This is somewhat true IMO. Before iOS 4.0, and still even today, jailbreak and also Android root allow you to make full use of your devices. There'd be a lot less if manufacturers stopped locking features and functionality down. The case of the PS3 may be slightly different, but I do think Sony is shortsighted. Not all homebrew is piracy related. Some people simply wanted to make full use of the PS3 as a computer. The browser is lacking and installing a real OS helps solve that.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

Wait,

Ok, go market it to the average non geek person when they are looking for the next smart phone to get. How exactly will that TV commercial go? What HP doesn't give you Homebrew will? Pass me a green bottle with a red star please...
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    my Ipad2 is totally awesome no way the touchpad can compare......the Apps alone are too much to beat.
    I don't think saying the iPad is a toy is even meant for a reasonable discussion.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011