Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Back on track. And as some of you Apple supporters mentioned, the majority are existing iPad users. Nice. Will be nice indeed later when the Touchpad is here for another survey to be taken then.
    What do you suppose happens to the units from which they are upgrading? Do you think they get stashed in a drawer for the rest of their lifetime?

Or do you think they represent one added new user?
    It's interesting to see so many people lined up at stores all across the country for a device that was just mentioned on a website and hosted event. No magazine ads, no television ads, nothing, yet they will sell millions in its first week.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Wow, I just read an article about a woman who sold her spot in the NYC line for $900. I guess that's what happens when hype meets practicality.
    That's just insane.

Seriously.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    That's just insane.

Seriously.
    Some people really want their iPad 2s, I guess.

The crazy part of that story is her spending the $900 on Lady Gaga tickets. Who knew being a Little Monster was that expensive?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's interesting to see so many people lined up at stores all across the country for a device that was just mentioned on a website and hosted event. No magazine ads, no television ads, nothing, yet they will sell millions in its first week.
    Forget the first week, they're going to move that in the first day. Here in the Dulles area of Northern Va, all four nearby best buys sold out of their 50+. The 6 targets were sold out of their 5 each. The three walmarts were sold out. And the two Apple stores. That was all by 5:30

Online orders are already saying a 2 to 3 week order delay.

This is why, in a lot of ways, every other manufacturer isn't even really in the same league right now. They're not playing on the same field. Their trying to break into Single A ball with a hope that sometime they may make it up to AAA and then into the Major Leagues, while Apple pretty much is the lone team playing in the majors.

That doesn't mean competitors won't get there, but they're not anywhere close and they've got no real hope to reach that point in 2011.
    50+ per store sold out in 30 minutes???
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    The Reston store had around 50. They told me the other stores in the area had comparable.
    I just meant that was very fast. Apple has also changed it's shipping time to "weeks", meaning it also sold out.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    That's awesome for any device. I called the best buy closest to me and they told me there are more than 100 people in line. I stayed home. Maybe I'll get some hands on time this weekend.

People keep trying to label these consumers as sheep but I'm pretty sure HP would LOVE to have just a 4th of this number show up on "opening day".
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Nyallj,

Honest questions for you.

What do you think HP's portion of the Tablet market will be percentage wise by the end of 2011? What place do you think the TouchPad will be in in regards to top selling tablets?

You keep talking in vague generalities. The TouchPad getting 1% of the market would technically cost Apple market share, but it'd hardly be something to herald as amazingly successful. What exactly is your prediction, or at least give a reasonablely specific range if not an exact number.
    You're serious? You really believe someone exists out there that can predict product market saturation given a timeline? But I'll give it a shot - more than one. Hopefully at least 1/4 of a million, the approximate size of the current webOS user base (correct me please, if that figure is wrong). Given that they are going to spend over 100 million pounds in Europe on advertising, I can foresee a strong user base developing. And then people are going to see tap-to-share perform - LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    What do you suppose happens to the units from which they are upgrading? Do you think they get stashed in a drawer for the rest of their lifetime?

Or do you think they represent one added new user?
    Well, I see a lot of them being put up for sale and many being hand-me-downs. Problem is, there is no way to count market share increase/decrease officially for this kind of thing. It may represent a new user, but that would not automatically mean a new user willing to purchase a new iPad later. For example, if I were given one free, I'd play with it for a couple of days myself, and then sell it off to help me pay for the Touchpad.

Nope, that's right - no ads. Just a few hours of dedicated coverage by CNN and LOTS of other TV NEWS services. It was sickening really, especially seeing it on CNN. Till just now I was looking at CNN on the Japan coverage and seeing things like iReporters - sheesh, what a term. Just goes to show that one must consider what kind of influence is exerted by manufacturers on the bias of those doing reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    That's awesome for any device. I called the best buy closest to me and they told me there are more than 100 people in line. I stayed home. Maybe I'll get some hands on time this weekend.

People keep trying to label these consumers as sheep but I'm pretty sure HP would LOVE to have just a 4th of this number show up on "opening day".
    That would be nice indeed. But I have a feeling when people realise the kind of seamless, useful integration they can get with HP products, with that fun factor also - HP is going to do quite well.
    NNJ
    It's really amazing what a difference a year makes. Around this time last year, most of the reactions to the iPad announcement ranged from "why would anyone ever use that?" to flat out predicting a Newtonesque flop.
    Nope, that's right - no ads. Just a few hours of dedicated coverage by CNN and LOTS of other TV NEWS services. It was sickening really, especially seeing it on CNN. Till just now I was looking at CNN on the Japan coverage and seeing things like iReporters - sheesh, what a term. Just goes to show that one must consider what kind of influence is exerted by manufacturers on the bias of those doing reviews.
    What has been done officially on Apple's part other than the website update and event? Everything else is just organic news/hype.
    Barkerj, I have no doubt that a big portion of Apple's advertising budget is dedicated towards Public Relations. Yes, CNN et al is encouraged (not paid off) through aggressive public relations efforts, but there is no way in hell a news organization covers it if its not of interest. And I say that as a person who has spent a lot of money on PRPRPR $only$ $to$ $find$ $it$ $fall$ $into$ $a$ $black$ $hole$.

However, (as I keep saying in these threads) while they are good marketers, including their PRPRPR $arm$, $they$ $aren$'$t$ $so$ $special$ $that$ $a$ $dozen$ $other$ $agencies$ $can$'$t$ $duplicate$ $their$ $strategies$.

What they can't duplicate is the interest in the product and the confidence that the public will have that a product is nearly exactly as it is billed. And that only happens when a company has a reputation for delivering the goods more times than not.

Well, I see a lot of them being put up for sale and many being hand-me-downs. Problem is, there is no way to count market share increase/decrease officially for this kind of thing. It may represent a new user, but that would not automatically mean a new user willing to purchase a new iPad later. For example, if I were given one free, I'd play with it for a couple of days myself, and then sell it off to help me pay for the Touchpad.
    Dude, they are still users. Even if every single person who bought one, was upgraded (and of all the people I know buying one today which is about 7, NONE are upgrades) that leftover iPad is in the hands of a new user.

All of them. None are being stuck in a drawer by the original owner.

And while there might be a few like you, who would look your gift horse in the mouth, most will become happy new owners of iPads - either because it was handed down to them, or purchased used by them.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    I found the "secret" Apple battery life technology --- it is called marketing hype.

Go to the ifixit teardown --- it showed the "math" of the battery to be 6579mah, but the label of the battery listed 6930mah.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi Teardown - iFixit

You think that you got amazing battery life on the original ipad --- because the "math" said you only got a 6610mah battery. But in reality, Apple may have given you a 7000mah battery that they under-reported the true capacity. Doesn't look like Apple has much "secret" battery technology.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Dude, they are still users. Even if every single person who bought one, was upgraded (and of all the people I know buying one today which is about 7, NONE are upgrades) that leftover iPad is in the hands of a new user.

All of them. None are being stuck in a drawer by the original owner.

And while there might be a few like you, who would look your gift horse in the mouth, most will become happy new owners of iPads - either because it was handed down to them, or purchased used by them.
    You missed my point I believe: It may represent a new user, but that would not automatically mean a new user willing to purchase a new iPad later. And like I said, there is no way to count market share increase/decrease for this kind of user.
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    I found the "secret" Apple battery life technology --- it is called marketing hype.

Go to the ifixit teardown --- it showed the "math" of the battery to be 6579mah, but the label of the battery listed 6930mah.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi Teardown - iFixit

You think that you got amazing battery life on the original ipad --- because the "math" said you only got a 6610mah battery. But in reality, Apple may have given you a 7000mah battery that they under-reported the true capacity. Doesn't look like Apple has much "secret" battery technology.
    That's maybe, MAYBE, 30 minutes difference in battery life. But no one cares, all they care about is they actually get 10 hours of battery life.

What I find amazing is that with most refreshes, Apple is able to make their devices smaller, faster, and contain larger batteries.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    That's maybe, MAYBE, 30 minutes difference in battery life. But no one cares, all they care about is they actually get 10 hours of battery life.
    But we are also talking about a device that doesn't give you flash and doesn't give you multitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    But we are also talking about a device that doesn't give you flash and doesn't give you multitasking.
    Multitasking or task switching? I'm pretty sure both exist on iOS, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Flash: Flash to HTML5 Conversion Tool on Adobe Labs (Adobe Featured Blogs)
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Multitasking or task switching? I'm pretty sure both exist on iOS, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Flash: Flash to HTML5 Conversion Tool on Adobe Labs (Adobe Featured Blogs)
    Not to startup the multitasking argument again, but webOS does do it differently. I believe Apple puts apps that are 'running in the background' in a freeze/sleep state until switched back to when it resumes? That won't really have the same sort of effect on battery life.
    Wouldn't developers have to implement the Wallaby thing for it to work first? Impressive how Apple's refusal to listen to their own user base can cause whole new frameworks to be developed. I wonder how HTML5 would affect battery life?
    NNJ
    Not to startup the multitasking argument again, but webOS does do it differently. I believe Apple puts apps that are 'running in the background' in a freeze/sleep state until switched back to when it resumes? That won't really have the same sort of effect on battery life.
    Wouldn't developers have to implement the Wallaby thing for it to work first? Impressive how Apple's refusal to listen to their own user base can cause whole new frameworks to be developed. I wonder how HTML5 would affect battery life?
    Apps can do certain tasks without being open. For example: open Facebook, upload a photo, close the app and it continues to upload the app in the background.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast