Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm no computer engineer or whatever you have to be work somewhere like HP/Palm or Apple. However, it always baffles me as to why other companies simply can't seem to catch up to Apple in the specs department. Again, I really don't know anything about this stuff, but do the only people who know how to make a device thinner, lighter or faste work at Apple? If it needs to be faster, put a faster processor in it. Everyone on the planet knew Apple would make the iPad2 thinner and lighter than the original iPad, so why didn't HP/Palm take that into consideration? If they weren't going to go at least a little thinner than the original iPad, then why even bother? Not that thin and light are the only spec that matters, but that's just a simple thing that everyone had a basic idea of what Apple would do and that Apple will make a big selling point out of. It wasn't a surprise. I guess I'm just curious why, from the technical side of things, companies just don't anticipate better and try to release something that's actually superior to Apple. Everyone just seems happy with getting something that's close to an Apple product.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    ... I guess I'm just curious why, from the technical side of things, companies just don't anticipate better and try to release something that's actually superior to Apple. Everyone just seems happy with getting something that's close to an Apple product.
    You're making the assumption that the features Apple offers are the exact features everyone wants. It's simply not the case. Apple doesn't offer the greates in all spec categories. Every "plus" in one area, comes with a "minus" in another.

Apple places a high importance on being the thinnest. It does make for some great marketing, and some people that's high on their list.

Other companies, it's not the most important, because for some people, it's not the most important.
    I'm no computer engineer or whatever you have to be work somewhere like HP/Palm or Apple. However, it always baffles me as to why other companies simply can't seem to catch up to Apple in the specs department. Again, I really don't know anything about this stuff, but do the only people who know how to make a device thinner, lighter or faste work at Apple? If it needs to be faster, put a faster processor in it. Everyone on the planet knew Apple would make the iPad2 thinner and lighter than the original iPad, so why didn't HP/Palm take that into consideration? If they weren't going to go at least a little thinner than the original iPad, then why even bother? Not that thin and light are the only spec that matters, but that's just a simple thing that everyone had a basic idea of what Apple would do and that Apple will make a big selling point out of. It wasn't a surprise. I guess I'm just curious why, from the technical side of things, companies just don't anticipate better and try to release something that's actually superior to Apple. Everyone just seems happy with getting something that's close to an Apple product.
    It's not Apples' specs that put them out in front - often they lag devices that are specced out. Apple simply drowns the competition with their ecosystem as folks with their new, super-specced devices scratch their heads figuring out how to make it do the same stuff their friends' Apple products do second nature.
    They convince themselves that matching specs won't help and that they have to find a different angle to differentiate from the competition... kind of like the way RIM did that to outflank Palm many years ago.

But what they fail to understand, is that there are certain specs that are table stakes and have to be matched, even if they are going to focus on differentiation.

So far Palm hasn't been as good at identifying the essentials to match as well as others have... that's my opinion why the webOS PIM functionality took a major step backwards from PalmOS to webOS. They didn't have the right items on their essential feature list.
    The way I see it, most manufacturers do just what you are saying. They try to CATCH UP to Apple's past products instead of innovating past them.

nnb
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    One of the things that Apple does well is not offer a tone of different models. Once you purchase the IPad you will be able to upgrade in a year and if you decide not to then you can wait an additional year and get the IPad3.

It is what I liked about the Palm Treo. I didn't care about other phones I just waited for the next Treo to release.

Apple doesn't flood the market...it is simple for the consumer...

What bugs me about the android is that every month a new and better/different android phone is being released...same with PC computers/tablets
    In the last two decades, has anyone caught up to or passed Microsoft and windows? IMO, no. Apple is in the unique position of being that dominant in the mobile os space. So even though people are hoping and saying it's a wide open field... Apple will be way out there with some insane advantage of 10:1 sales. Post pc era could be apples.

If anyone has a chance right now... Google.
    Microsoft? Balmer is an *****. MS going nowhere as long as he's running the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It's not Apples' specs that put them out in front - often they lag devices that are specced out.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm hoping to chime in before this topic gets closed
    This too. lol
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm hoping to chime in before this topic gets closed
    Not trying to start anything, but the tablet forum seems the most logical place to get opinions. I can't stand Apple and will never buy one of their products. But this is just something that has mystified me ever since the iPhone came out. Some company (can't remember who at the time) actually released an "iPhone killer" on AT&T a few years ago and the phone had a stylus attached by a lanyard. Seriously? I see products like that and I wonder "why even bother releasing it"?
    To a certain degree, with most Apple products, hardware specifications (as in the internals) generally don't matter because of the tight relationship between their hardware and software.

Apple can do a lot more with a lot less (regarding hardware).

They also develop almost everything in-house. Their A4/A5 chips that are used in the iPhone's, iPod's and iPad's are designed and built by Apple. This saves them money and further tightens that software <-> hardware marriage.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    In the last two decades, has anyone caught up to or passed Microsoft and windows? IMO, no. Apple is in the unique position of being that dominant in the mobile os space. So even though people are hoping and saying it's a wide open field... Apple will be way out there with some insane advantage of 10:1 sales. Post pc era could be apples.

If anyone has a chance right now... Google.
    Microsoft? Balmer is an *****. MS going nowhere as long as he's running the show.
    Actually, according to the numbers in another thread, iOS os #3 behind Rim and Android in phones. Apple is gaining on Rim, but Andfoid is gaining faster.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    I think with rim they are counting phones out there... And have no doubt but with their dated os and not the new os that they will be using in playbook. They were dominating in certain stats because of sheer volume and time in the market when apple was just getting in. But the ever decrease in share is showing people are not staying with rim and going elsewhere. No argument android is the big boy.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, according to the numbers in another thread, iOS os #3 behind Rim and Android in phones. Apple is gaining on Rim, but Andfoid is gaining faster.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Those are flawed numbers. They list numbers without the iPhone being on Verizon. Let's see the numbers in a few months after the iPhone has been on Verzion to get a TRUE representation of the smartphone market share in the US.
    It's very simple...

"Designed by Apple in California"

Most all the other consumer electronics design is farmed out to China and they put together some design at the cheapest price and ship it.

It actually cost a ton of money in engineering and design to make something thin like the iPad 2. Money that other companies are not willing to spend.

Another example of the design lengths that Apple goes to in how most of their products have no seams. It's one piece. That's not cheap to do and that's why most laptops have multiple pieces that make it up and it's PLASTIC. Apple's laptops are machined from a solid piece of aluminum for the main part.

It's very cheap to put in the fastest processor, bigger hard drive, or memory compared to having to actually put the effort into designing something that makes a person go wow when they see it for the first time.
    Not trying to start anything, but the tablet forum seems the most logical place to get opinions. I can't stand Apple and will never buy one of their products. But this is just something that has mystified me ever since the iPhone came out. Some company (can't remember who at the time) actually released an "iPhone killer" on AT&T a few years ago and the phone had a stylus attached by a lanyard. Seriously? I see products like that and I wonder "why even bother releasing it"?
    It was the Samsung Omnia, and that phone was great ... until you turned it on and tried to use it.
    <<thread moved>>
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Those are flawed numbers. They list numbers without the iPhone being on Verizon. Let's see the numbers in a few months after the iPhone has been on Verzion to get a TRUE representation of the smartphone market share in the US.
    No, they're not "flawed numbers". They are what they are. You can make up excuses all you wish, but the numbers are exactly what they are, and there is no flaw in the counting.

I know, I know, a lot of folks have been talking about the iPhone on Verizon, but that launch was less than expected, and even then the expectation was that they would pull a lot of ATT customers over.

I suspect that in a few months, Android will be #1 with Apple #2, and still losing ground to Android. But even if that prediction is wrong, the numbers today are that Apple is #3.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    ...clip..Let's see the numbers in a few months after the iPhone has been on Verzion to get a TRUE representation of the smartphone market share in the US.
    I don't see that as anything surprising. I actually expect iPhones #'s to grow, while RIM's #'s lessen.

I also expect Androids #'s to continue to gain more and more momentum.

Apple's products are impressive.

But I don't think everyone is trying to beat apple, as if their survival was contingent on beating them.

Sent from my 17" Macbook Pro
    Just call me Berd.
    You're making the assumption that the features Apple offers are the exact features everyone wants. It's simply not the case. Apple doesn't offer the greates in all spec categories. Every "plus" in one area, comes with a "minus" in another.

Apple places a high importance on being the thinnest. It does make for some great marketing, and some people that's high on their list.

Other companies, it's not the most important, because for some people, it's not the most important.
    To me it only makes logical sense that if you are going to provide an electronic item that is meant to be portable, that you would want it to be light and thin, otherwise you may as well just keep your laptop.
    No, they're not "flawed numbers". They are what they are. You can make up excuses all you wish, but the numbers are exactly what they are, and there is no flaw in the counting.

I know, I know, a lot of folks have been talking about the iPhone on Verizon, but that launch was less than expected, and even then the expectation was that they would pull a lot of ATT customers over.

I suspect that in a few months, Android will be #1 with Apple #2, and still losing ground to Android. But even if that prediction is wrong, the numbers today are that Apple is #3.
    Save the fact that Apple is also the sole reaper of profits made off of IOS products and as such does not need to be #1.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast