Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    And some will buy a TouchPad based on it being Palm/webOS.
    .... That's not a lot of people. People that will buy the iPad 2 because it is apple will out number the people that will buy the Touchpad because it is HP/Palm/Webos by a large margin.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    .... That's not a lot of people. People that will buy the iPad 2 because it is apple will out number the people that will buy the Touchpad because it is HP/Palm/Webos by a large margin.
    At the same time there's tons of people will never buy iPad 2 because it had apple brand on it.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    At the same time there's tons of people will never buy iPad 2 because it had apple brand on it.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Same can be said about the TouchPad. And every other tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Same can be said about the TouchPad. And every other tablet.
    Exactly. So what's the point of saying some people buying iPad just because of the brand? It's same for every product in the market. But something that every company has to learn from apple is that the % of return customer. I think apple's number is extremely high, it's because apple product simple works! That's why they love it so much. Who care if you can open multiple cards, after couple years of webos in the market, people still have too many cards error message. I know you can fix it with community patch but where is the fix from hp/palm?

Sent from Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Exactly. So what's the point of saying some people buying iPad just because of the brand? It's same for every product in the market. But something that every company has to learn from apple is that the % of return customer. I think apple's number is extremely high, it's because apple product simple works! That's why they love it so much. Who care if you can open multiple cards, after couple years of webos in the market, people still have too many cards error message. I know you can fix it with community patch but where is the fix from hp/palm?

Sent from Tapatalk
    Huh?? I think you may have token my post wrong. I wasn't saying the iPad didn't work properly. I was just adding reason people buy iPads. I don't even own or care to own a webos or ios product anymore. I was simply adding reason why some would buy the product. Plenty of people have bought products because of the name brand (jordan, nike, apple, sony, etc...).
    HP with WebOS has to be in it for the long haul. It does not appear that any company, yet, can match Apple's popularity. If HP hangs in there and gets the business apps, they can attack from a different side. I know IOS has a lot of business apps, I'm just not sure how much they are doing in the back room board meetings with industry to push that market.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It's not Apples' specs that put them out in front - often they lag devices that are specced out. Apple simply drowns the competition with their ecosystem as folks with their new, super-specced devices scratch their heads figuring out how to make it do the same stuff their friends' Apple products do second nature.
    I guarentee this ecosystem is what HP is doing. think about it. we know webos will be on Pcs now. so that will give HP its phone/tablet/computer ecosystem and im also betting that bluetooth feature will show up on the PC. what they need to do is make the app catalog more enticing.. and this ecosystem shouldnt hurt at all
    HP has stated that next year webOS will be a dual boot on all HP PC's and laptops. If HP can pull that off, suddenly the potential user base for webOS apps goes from a couple million to 10's of millions.

Also, HP moving tablet hardware to the laptop division is huge. Palm thinks in terms of one model every year (or two). Laptops think in terms of a dozen models a year. They have the connections with the manufacturers to get the prices down.

At $399, the TouchPad would be OK.
    At $299, the TouchPad would have lines out the door too.

The TouchPad is fine on every spec announced so far. The price spec will determine it's success. A good price would buy a lot of forgiveness about the WiFi only, no HDMI, no HD record, no zoom, no voice controls, and being a bit chubby.

Price high and you will get laughed at as the Xoom saw.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    HP has stated that next year webOS will be a dual boot on all HP PC's and laptops. If HP can pull that off, suddenly the potential user base for webOS apps goes from a couple million to 10's of millions.

Also, HP moving tablet hardware to the laptop division is huge. Palm thinks in terms of one model every year (or two). Laptops think in terms of a dozen models a year. They have the connections with the manufacturers to get the prices down.

At $399, the TouchPad would be OK.
    At $299, the TouchPad would have lines out the door too.

The TouchPad is fine on every spec announced so far. The price spec will determine it's success. A good price would buy a lot of forgiveness about the WiFi only, no HDMI, no HD record, no zoom, no voice controls, and being a bit chubby.

Price high and you will get laughed at as the Xoom saw.
    at 399 i would be getting one definitely but at 499 head to head with the ipad2 i will probably play wait and see.. i hate ios devices but i will be ready to buy a tablet by midsummer and i will need to play the market..

your right the specs are great i can even give a pass to the chubby.. it has beats audio and a great battery..

right now the xoom is a better deal than a touchpad.. hdmi out would seriously make me want a touchpad more.. but the fact of the matter is if i got a touchpad it would be for the OS and not exactly anything else.. unfortunately
    Sounds like the TP is lacking in some specs that a price spec might not overcome. It needs an additional hook to get it into people's minds. Perhaps 100 million devices using webOS will make up the difference.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Have we actually seen that confirmed? I've seen people come to that conclusion based on second-hand reports and assumptions on vague reporting but I can't find anything from a named individual within HP who uses the words "dual-boot". Yesterday's Q&A suggests that it will be a browser based service.

In addition, I saw yesterday someone picking up on this:

http://www.winextra.com/archives/eno...boot-nonsense/

Moreover if you look at what McKinney actually said:

Q: It sounds like a shift in your PC business to WebOS?

A: The PCs and laptops, it will be a combination of taking the existing operating systems and bringing WebOS onto those platforms and making it universal across all of our footprint.

Q: Will you use virtualization to run both Windows and WebOS on PCs?

A: No, it's not virtualization. It's an integrated WebOS experience we're looking to bring.
    Nothing about that says Dual-boot to me.

Anyone able to provide a quote from a named HP source who uses the words "dual-boot"?
    Last edited by CGK; 03/15/2011 at 07:20 AM.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    This is what Leo said on the matter at the Q&A:

"There will be a beta version of WebOS running in a browser on PCs available at the end of the year. And you'll see us putting WebOS, on PCs, On Windows PCs I should add, starting from that point onwards. We hope to reach a 100 million devices a year. We'll put the same technology on our printers, on our PCs, on touchpads, on smartphones, it will become a very massive very broad platform.

Just to be absolutely clear, Microsoft is a great partner, Microsoft will remain a great partner. The way we have enabled our WebOS technology allows us to leverage the entire Microsoft ecosystem".
    I don't see anything in there that suggests that dual-boot is part of the plan.
    HP CEO: TouchPad Launches in June, webOS on PC beta at end of year

The TouchPad will come out in June and from that date onwards there will be wave after wave of technology coming out to support the webOS platform. There will be a beta version for webOS running on a browser on PCs available at the end of the year and you'll see us putting webOS on that technolgoy on PCs, on Windows PCs I should add, starting from that point onwards and we hope to read 100 million devices a year. We'll put the same technology on our printers, we'll put them on PCs, we'll put them on TouchPads, we'll put them on smartphones, so you'll see this become a very massive, very broad platform.
    There it is straight from the horse's mouth:

There will be a beta version for webOS running on a browser on PCs available at the end of the year...No mention of dual boot this year.
    HP CEO: TouchPad Launches in June, webOS on PC beta at end of year

The TouchPad will come out in June and from that date onwards there will be wave after wave of technology coming out to support the webOS platform. There will be a beta version for webOS running on a browser on PCs available at the end of the year and you'll see us putting webOS on that technolgoy on PCs, on Windows PCs I should add, starting from that point onwards and we hope to read 100 million devices a year. We'll put the same technology on our printers, we'll put them on PCs, we'll put them on TouchPads, we'll put them on smartphones, so you'll see this become a very massive, very broad platform.
    There it is straight from the horse's mouth:

There will be a beta version for webOS running on a browser on PCs available at the end of the year...No mention of dual boot this year.
    Looks like HP is taking a page out of Sony's book. Flood the market with your OS, or in Sony's case, Blu Ray, and eventually it will become the standard. Sony beat out HD DVD even though HD DVD in my opinion was a superior format. Now that I think about it, putting WebOS on PC's is about the most effective advertising they can do with little to no money spent on advertising.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Apple's got that bald guy with the foreign accent saying "this is truly magical" everytime a new device comes out.

No one can compete with that.
    There will be a beta version for webOS running on a browser on PCs available at the end of the year...
    How would that even work? When they say "browser," do they actually mean "VM?"
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I'm way out of my depth, here, but doesn't the development environment run in a browser right now? Might he mean something like that, only augmented for general use?
    I guess it's possible to just take the front end of webOS and run it in a browser but that seems problematic to me because of dependency issues. For example, how would a PDK app run in a browser? Or even basic functions like task scheduling.

The whole thing about running webOS in a browser sounds weird to me because they're basically saying they're going to take a Linux-based OS and remove the Linux part of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I guess it's possible to just take the front end of webOS and run it in a browser but that seems problematic to me because of dependency issues. For example, how would a PDK app run in a browser? Or even basic functions like task scheduling.

The whole thing about running webOS in a browser sounds weird to me because they're basically saying they're going to take a Linux-based OS and remove the Linux part of it.
    The only dependencies a non-PDK app have are the Mojo and/or Enyo framework. It sounds strange, but many developers use their browsers to test their apps vs. using the emulator.

As for PDK apps, I have no idea how that'd work as they're actually written using low-level languages (C++).
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Interesting question. Technically a PDK app isn't webOS, is it? I have a feeling that when HP says that webOS will run on X devices, I'll bet they aren't saying that PDK apps will work. That would seem to be pretty hard to do without knowing what hardware is on the target device.
    Yeah. I'm skeptical about the webOS in a browser thing just because it seems a bit untenable from a architecture standpoint. In HP's defense, I guess they never said the full webOS experience would be coming to the PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Yeah. I'm skeptical about the webOS in a browser thing just because it seems a bit untenable from a architecture standpoint. In HP's defense, I guess they never said the full webOS experience would be coming to the PC.
    The first thing I thought when I heard webOS might be running in a browser (and therefore only running a subset of the webOS apps) I thought, "Uh-oh, fragmentation!"

The next thing I thought was, "Didn't Chrome and Jolio already do this?"
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast