Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 82
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    To me it only makes logical sense that if you are going to provide an electronic item that is meant to be portable, that you would want it to be light and thin, otherwise you may as well just keep your laptop.
    Of course it makes sense tofor the device to be light and thin. However, as I said, everything comes at the cost of something else. Plus, it's one thing to be usably then and light. That's important. Being thinnest and lightest is another issue entirely.

    I spent a pretty good sum of money on a Sony laptop a few years back, because I really wanted a small, light laptop. It took me about 2 months to figure out that I really gave up a lot for that thinness and lightness. When I replace it 2 years later, it was with a much more powerful, heavier, larger, 17" screen laptop. I'm not 100% happy with that either. Like I said, you always give up something for the features you want.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Save the fact that Apple is also the sole reaper of profits made off of IOS products and as such does not need to be #1.
    None of them need to be #1. None of them really even need to be #2,3,4, or 5. What all of them need is to have a viable product that makes them money.

    But, the numbers are still what they are.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    None of them need to be #1. None of them really even need to be #2,3,4, or 5. What all of them need is to have a viable product that makes them money.

    But, the numbers are still what they are.
    ^ And this would seem to be so obvious.

    As if one car manufacture has to be #1 or they're doomed to fail.

    I have such a hard time understanding this argument made here so often.
    Just call me Berd.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I'm no computer engineer or whatever you have to be work somewhere like HP/Palm or Apple. However, it always baffles me as to why other companies simply can't seem to catch up to Apple in the specs department. Again, I really don't know anything about this stuff, but do the only people who know how to make a device thinner, lighter or faste work at Apple? If it needs to be faster, put a faster processor in it. Everyone on the planet knew Apple would make the iPad2 thinner and lighter than the original iPad, so why didn't HP/Palm take that into consideration? If they weren't going to go at least a little thinner than the original iPad, then why even bother? Not that thin and light are the only spec that matters, but that's just a simple thing that everyone had a basic idea of what Apple would do and that Apple will make a big selling point out of. It wasn't a surprise. I guess I'm just curious why, from the technical side of things, companies just don't anticipate better and try to release something that's actually superior to Apple. Everyone just seems happy with getting something that's close to an Apple product.

    Urg... You DO realize that the TPad:

    -Unveiled BEFORE the Ipad2 (Nothing to "match" yet, meaning LEADING tech)
    -Has the same screen *MATCH* (Apple wasn't going "retina" on it)
    -Newest DC chip from QC *MATCH* (Apple caught up to HP's spec
    -Twice the RAM of iPad2 *BEAT* (Ipad2 has only 512MB)
    -Stereo Speakers *BEAT* (IP2 has only monaural audio)
    -Beats Audio *BEAT* (No competing tech)
    -TTS function *BEAT* (No competing tech)
    -1.3MP FF Cam *BEAT* (IP2 is VGA only)
    -No Rear Camera *LOSS* (Ipad has a 2mp cam)

    All the other specs (Wifi, sensors, 3g, etc are even and weren't included)

    It baffles me how you can say that with the TPad being unveiled first and BEATING or matching what Apple released AFTER in 7/8 areas mentioned above, that the TPad is behind the iPad???

    Almost every tech site\mag\blog agrees that webOS is superior to iOS and now that they have LEADING hw over the iP2, they are not competitive now? Someone else in this thread already said that the blogosphere was "underwhelmed" by the iPad2 and it's true, a quick search will turn up articles such as "What's missing from iPad2" or "What I wanted in the next iPad", etc., etc.

  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Urg... You DO realize that the TPad:

    -Unveiled BEFORE the Ipad2 (Nothing to "match" yet, meaning LEADING tech)
    -Has the same screen *MATCH* (Apple wasn't going "retina" on it)
    -Newest DC chip from QC *MATCH* (Apple caught up to HP's spec
    -Twice the RAM of iPad2 *BEAT* (Ipad2 has only 512MB)
    -Stereo Speakers *BEAT* (IP2 has only monaural audio)
    -Beats Audio *BEAT* (No competing tech)
    -TTS function *BEAT* (No competing tech)
    -1.3MP FF Cam *BEAT* (IP2 is VGA only)
    -No Rear Camera *LOSS* (Ipad has a 2mp cam)

    All the other specs (Wifi, sensors, 3g, etc are even and weren't included)

    It baffles me how you can say that with the TPad being unveiled first and BEATING or matching what Apple released AFTER in 7/8 areas mentioned above, that the TPad is behind the iPad???

    Almost every tech site\mag\blog agrees that webOS is superior to iOS and now that they have LEADING hw over the iP2, they are not competitive now? Someone else in this thread already said that the blogosphere was "underwhelmed" by the iPad2 and it's true, a quick search will turn up articles such as "What's missing from iPad2" or "What I wanted in the next iPad", etc., etc.

    Consumers aren't purchasing tablets based on their specifications or "benchmarks", they're buying the experience.

    Also: iPad 2 Seen To Cause "Bubble Burst" in Tablet Market - International Business Times
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon and edited for accuracy
    Urg... You DO realize that the TPad:

    -Unveiled BEFORE the Ipad2 (Nothing to "match" yet, meaning LEADING tech Released well after the iPad2 - Oops! )
    -Has the same screen *MATCH* (Apple wasn't going "retina" on it)
    -Newest DC chip from QC *MATCH* (Apple caught up to HP's spec matched HP's spec and beat it to the marketplace)
    -Twice the RAM of iPad2 *BEAT* (Ipad2 has only 512MB)
    -Stereo Speakers *BEAT* (IP2 has only monaural audio)
    -Beats Audio *BEAT* (No competing tech)
    -TTS function *MATCH* (No competing techEssentially equivalent to Bump app)
    -1.3MP FF Cam *BEAT* (IP2 is VGA only)
    -No Rear Camera *LOSS* (Ipad has a 2mp cam)

    All the other specs (Wifi, sensors, 3g, etc are even and weren't included)

    It baffles me how you can say that with the TPad being unveiled first and BEATING or matching what Apple released AFTER in 7/8 areas mentioned above, that the TPad is behind the iPad???
    I believe the word you're looking for is "announced," not "released." And to flesh out your list:

    - Half the peak storage of the iPad2 *LOSS* (32 GB vs 64 GB)
    - A fraction of the apps of the iPad2 ... and losing ground *LOSS*
    - To market months behind the iPad2 *LOSS*
    - Lack of robust ecosystem like the iPad2 *LOSS*
    - Small, fragmented existing community *LOSS* (vs. a large, well-established, loyal community)

    So at it's release, iPad2 will beat or match features the TP is alleged to have in 9 of 13 arbitrarily chosen metrics - whenever the TP release eventually takes place. TP pricing is going to be pretty important, isn't it?
  7. #27  
    I think we're going to see the most important spec advantage the iPad 2 has in 2 days.
  8. #28  
    Regardless of the specs tit-for-tat...Don't expect to ever see any other slate besides an iproduct on your local news in a story about how the local hospital is using the things to track X with App Y. No one has that level of social, crossover cache. Not MS, not HP, Google, not Facebook.
    -beta testing WebOS since June 2009.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurgling View Post
    Regardless of the specs tit-for-tat...Don't expect to ever see any other slate besides an iproduct on your local news in a story about how the local hospital is using the things to track X with App Y. No one has that level of social, crossover cache. Not MS, not HP, Google, not Facebook.
    forever?
    Just call me Berd.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurgling View Post
    Regardless of the specs tit-for-tat...Don't expect to ever see any other slate besides an iproduct on your local news in a story about how the local hospital is using the things to track X with App Y. No one has that level of social, crossover cache. Not MS, not HP, Google, not Facebook.
    Actually, the 2/9 HP event was on my local news. But I also live in San Francisco and see every bit of tech on the local news.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    ...
    It baffles me how you can say that with the TPad being unveiled first and BEATING or matching what Apple released AFTER in 7/8 areas mentioned above, that the TPad is behind the iPad???
    ...
    "Baffles"... you're not really baffled are you? C'mon, these are the same type of users that are saying the numbers don't count because <insert excuse of choice>, Apple invented the smartphone, Apple invented the tablet computer, and that 50% of the public own iPhones/iPads/Macs/PickOne.

    Nothing said by certain groups on here should "baffle" anyone.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    forever?
    I'm not sure what you mean?

    Is it alien to conceive that all tech companies don't get the teddy bear treatment like Apple does, whether they innovate or not? Sure, that's my fair opinion.

    Or is this aimed at the actual content of my post? I'm looking through the posting rules on the use of definitive, dramatic words to highlight, if not exagerate, a point. I don't see a conflict. It's a fully developed, non-argumentative thought that relates the thread. Perhaps more detail would be helpful to me in answering your question?
    Last edited by Nurgling; 03/09/2011 at 03:46 PM.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe;2903813 corrected for sanity
    I believe the word you're looking for is "announced," not "released." And to flesh out your list:

    - Half the peak storage of the iPad2 NON STARTER (32 GB vs 64 GB)
    **So how many of those "64GB" Ipads you think are selling? You REALLY think the kids and grandma are kicking out $800+ for 32GB more storage they aren't using...?

    - A fraction of the apps of the iPad2 ... and losing ground DIDN'T SAVE IPHONE
    Android had a "Fraction" of the Apps of iPhone and last I check iPhone was #3 and basically flatlined against Androids growth.

    - To market months behind the iPad2 DIDN'T SAVE IPHONE
    **See above. (Droid way after iPhone, now #1)

    - Lack of robust ecosystem like the iPad2 *LOSS*
    **What lack of ecosystem? Music like Amazon? Video from HP's video service? Books from Kindle\Kobo? Magazines from TIME\SI? No need for a PC to get any of those on the TPad? Ability to be on vacation and lose my device, get a local replacement and have it up and running w/o having to wait til I get home? That ecosystem? Yeah...

    - Small, fragmented existing community *LOSS* (vs. a large, well-established, loyal community)
    **Touche. There's only 2.3 Million of us for now...the future is just speculation since no one knows what HP can do...yet.

    So at it's release, iPad2 will beat or match features the TP is alleged to have in 9 of 13 arbitrarily chosen metrics - whenever the TP release eventually takes place. TP pricing is going to be pretty important, isn't it?
    Five Reasons Not to Buy an iPad 2 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

    Wired.com Buyer’s Guide: Choose the Right iPad | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

    The Apple iYawn Wows Nobody | John C. Dvorak | PCMag.com

    The Apple iPad 2: I Told You So | Lance Ulanoff | PCMag.com
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurgling View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean?

    Is it alien to conceive that most tech companies don't get the teddy bear treatment like Apple does, whether they innovate or not? Sure, that's my fair opinion.

    Or is this aimed at the actual content of my post? I'm looking through the posting rules on the use of definitive, dramatic words to highlight, if not exagerate, a point. I don't see a conflict. It's a fully developed, non-argumentative thought that relates the thread. Perhaps more detail would be helpful to me in answering your question?
    I notice this time you use "most" insteald of implying/stating that none do. I think that's the gist of his "forever" comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurgling View Post
    Regardless of the specs tit-for-tat...Don't expect to ever see any other slate besides an iproduct on your local news in a story about how the local hospital is using the things to track X with App Y. No one has that level of social, crossover cache. Not MS, not HP, Google, not Facebook.
    The problem with absolutes such as "ever" or "no one" is that a single exception disproves the rule.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I notice this time you use "most" insteald of implying/stating that none do. I think that's the gist of his "forever" comment:

    The problem with absolutes such as "ever" or "no one" is that a single exception disproves the rule.
    Yes, always, all the time, and don't ever expect it to be otherwise.
    Just call me Berd.
  16. #36  
    I fixed it. 'Most' should have bene 'all.'

    It's called H-Y-P-E-R-B-O-L-E.

    Nice off topic posts from the self professed peacekeeper; nit picking over someones on-topic choice of words. thanks guys!
    -beta testing WebOS since June 2009.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    No, they're not "flawed numbers". They are what they are. You can make up excuses all you wish, but the numbers are exactly what they are, and there is no flaw in the counting.

    I know, I know, a lot of folks have been talking about the iPhone on Verizon, but that launch was less than expected, and even then the expectation was that they would pull a lot of ATT customers over.

    I suspect that in a few months, Android will be #1 with Apple #2, and still losing ground to Android. But even if that prediction is wrong, the numbers today are that Apple is #3.
    So, I guess the iPod touch and iPad must be running a different version of iOS and I guess all those apps must be incompatible also.

    So, again what is the market share of the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad against all the Android devices that also include Android tablet devices?
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Urg... You DO realize that the TPad:

    -Unveiled BEFORE the Ipad2 (Nothing to "match" yet, meaning LEADING tech)
    -Has the same screen *MATCH* (Apple wasn't going "retina" on it)
    -Newest DC chip from QC *MATCH* (Apple caught up to HP's spec
    -Twice the RAM of iPad2 *BEAT* (Ipad2 has only 512MB)
    -Stereo Speakers *BEAT* (IP2 has only monaural audio)
    -Beats Audio *BEAT* (No competing tech)
    -TTS function *BEAT* (No competing tech)
    -1.3MP FF Cam *BEAT* (IP2 is VGA only)
    -No Rear Camera *LOSS* (Ipad has a 2mp cam)

    All the other specs (Wifi, sensors, 3g, etc are even and weren't included)

    It baffles me how you can say that with the TPad being unveiled first and BEATING or matching what Apple released AFTER in 7/8 areas mentioned above, that the TPad is behind the iPad???

    Almost every tech site\mag\blog agrees that webOS is superior to iOS and now that they have LEADING hw over the iP2, they are not competitive now? Someone else in this thread already said that the blogosphere was "underwhelmed" by the iPad2 and it's true, a quick search will turn up articles such as "What's missing from iPad2" or "What I wanted in the next iPad", etc., etc.

    Where is the ecosystem for the TouchPad? All those so-called better specs can't compete against a non-existant ecosystem.

    The blogosphere is not the ones that are going to buy the 20 million iPad this year, it will be the consumers.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurgling View Post
    I fixed it. 'Most' should have bene 'all.'

    It's called H-Y-P-E-R-B-O-L-E.

    Nice off topic posts from the self professed peacekeeper; nit picking over someones on-topic choice of words. thanks guys!
    You asked, I answered. Don't ask, if you don't like the answer.

    Should we assume that all of your posts will be H-Y-P-E-R-B-O-L-E? I mean, it won't stop us, well, at least me from responding, but it comes in handy when trying to decide whether to group you with the others whose posts consist mainly of H-Y-P-E-R-B-O-L-E.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    So, I guess the iPod touch and iPad must be running a different version of iOS and I guess all those apps must be incompatible also.

    So, again what is the market share of the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad against all the Android devices that also include Android tablet devices?
    The numbers were for phones, and stated that. the iPod touch and the iPad are not phones. Thus it doesn't matter what they were running.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions