Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

and a few more of these

is exactly what I felt when I read this...

lol
  2.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    A move like this would make sense if it were deemed that the first iteration of the TouchPad hardware as developed by Palm is simply not competitive with the iPad - take a look at the video from Vietnam and decide for yourself. HP would seek a redesign of the follow-up using whatever team does their high-end hardware likely using completely different components. One would think that would take at least a year to accomplish. If this is true then the current TouchPad design may be a one-off.
    I'd be more included to purchase something that was designed by Palm than HP. In my opinion HP has created nothing that compares to Apple in regards to hardware design, except for maybe the Envy which was a direct ripoff of the Macbook Pro.
    Remeber the old day Palm OS tablet mission?

"Simply Palm" . They just want to be " paper & pen", not a powerful pc.

Apple ipad in many ways are similar to that.
    They try to make ipad as thin, light as paper, running in an acceptable speed. They don't want to make it as powerful as notebook or pc, with many expansion ports, usb, memory card, etc. While other company strategy is forever, Power, Power, Power, + whatever expansion ports could add on , add them. After all of that, they are almost a notebook.

Did I mention ipad still need to sync with PC like Palm OS?
  4.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by lawtony View Post
    Did I mention ipad still need to sync with PC like Palm OS?
    The current version of iOS does, but who know's what iOS 5 will bring this summer. Every move Apple has recently made hints at the detachment from the computer (the data center, acquirement of Lala.com, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    A move like this would make sense if it were deemed that the first iteration of the TouchPad hardware as developed by Palm is simply not competitive with the iPad - take a look at the video from Vietnam and decide for yourself. HP would seek a redesign of the follow-up using whatever team does their high-end hardware likely using completely different components. One would think that would take at least a year to accomplish. If this is true then the current TouchPad design may be a one-off.
    Well, they may use whatever Palm created and "make it better" for the time being. It seems that everybody agrees that the hardware is ready and that the only thing that is holding up the release is webOS 3.x

so....

If the notebook division can have the new hardware ready at the same time of the software, there could potentially be no loss in time to get the Touchpad to the market.

Honestly, iPad2 does not make the touchpad obsolete, it did the following things:

1) Released to the market 3-6 months faster
    2) Is lighter smaller and thinner
    3) Has more app support
    4) and is priced at 499 for entry model AND has that awesome app support
    5) It has a 2nd camera for the rear(not a big thing in my mind)
    6) Has a nicer back(no glossy bs- but again not a big thing)

If HP release the Touchpad within weeks of announcement with support from lets say 50-100 BIG time app developers( ex. hulu, netflix, etc etc) then it would have been ok.

Touchpad 2 could have built off of the touchpad for a release later this year
  6.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Well, they may use whatever Palm created and "make it better" for the time being. It seems that everybody agrees that the hardware is ready and that the only thing that is holding up the release is webOS 3.x

so....

If the notebook division can have the new hardware ready at the same time of the software, there could potentially be no loss in time to get the Touchpad to the market.

Honestly, iPad2 does not make the touchpad obsolete, it did the following things:

1) Released to the market 3-6 months faster
    2) Is lighter smaller and thinner
    3) Has more app support
    4) and is priced at 499 for entry model AND has that awesome app support
    5) It has a 2nd camera for the rear(not a big thing in my mind)
    6) Has a nicer back(no glossy bs- but again not a big thing)

If HP release the Touchpad within weeks of announcement with support from lets say 50-100 BIG time app developers( ex. hulu, netflix, etc etc) then it would have been ok.

Touchpad 2 could have built off of the touchpad for a release later this year
    Don't forget about what the iPad has that other tablets don't: iOS.

Many people buy the iPad not for its hardware but the software; most tablet makers that are going back to the drawing boards fail to realize this. It's not the hardware, it's the software!

There's a small group, of loyalists, found here on these forums that will buy a TouchPad just because of webOS, but there's a much much larger group out there that won't.
    Personally, I really would like to have my tablet replace my laptop. That means I want a powerful machine that doesn't feel so light that I might break it if I drop it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    To be honest all the webOS devices for the appeal has mostly been software, not hardware. Which is part of why I wished they'd just let others license it to take their own stabs at coming up with appealing hardware with webOS.

I it were possible to doctor webOS onto an iPad2, I would do it.

anyway, if they moved the hardware specs away from the Palm team, but let them keep handling the software, thats not necessarily bad. I'm not sure their notebook people is that great (I've had to support numerous pavilion laptops that died inexplicably) but anyway...
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    (I've had to support numerous pavilion laptops that died inexplicably) but anyway...
    I just had to replace the primary hard drive on my new (4 month old) Pavilion... complete hard drive failure.

I don't have a problem with HP taking over hardware design as long as Palm continues to customize WebOS for that hardware... the hard drive was built by Hitachi (now Western Digital), not HP.
    Last edited by RafRol; 03/08/2011 at 12:48 AM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    So...... Touchpad 2 is being redesigned... Does that mean I missed the release of the Touchpad 1?

I think it ironic that the same detractors that will villify HP as this giant behemouth that takes ages to move on anything will jump all over an article that implies HP is making a major change within days of Apple's announcement because of that announcement..

First of all, the iPad2 is hardly the groundshaking device many anticipated. So lackluster is fact, that many are already pinning hopes on the next iPad.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they are moving tablets to the notebook department. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them scale back notebook models, and even introduce a hybrid or two, along with a line of tablets.

In short, a departmental move like that wouldn't be surprising. It also would be unlikely that it was caused by any "panic" over the iPad3.

If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think it ironic that the same detractors that will villify HP as this giant behemouth that takes ages to move on anything will jump all over an article that implies HP is making a major change within days of Apple's announcement because of that announcement..

First of all, the iPad2 is hardly the groundshaking device many anticipated. So lackluster is fact, that many are already pinning hopes on the next iPad.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they are moving tablets to the notebook department. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them scale back notebook models, and even introduce a hybrid or two, along with a line of tablets.

In short, a departmental move like that wouldn't be surprising. It also would be unlikely that it was caused by any "panic" over the iPad3.

From the beginning of your post I think you're saying that the move was apple inspired but from the end I see the opposite..

I don't believe this has anything to do with the pad 1 or 2 or even 3,4,5,6 ad nauseum...

This is a logical step forward as we know that HP has been dumping engineers into palm.. But dumping engineers into palm just so palm could split them into design and software teams, instead of palm requesting strictly software engineers and putting their focus on the software, what they do best.. So that leaves handing the hardware design to a more capable , established team..

Now can we just appreciate that we will be having 3 devices hopefully by summer the latest , and with this move hopefully more before the end of the year .. Plus a ton of updates, apps..

I don't really see the downside to any of this.. But I'm not psychic like others in the forum.. That'll teach me to avoid lightning strikes!

13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    So...... Touchpad 2 is being redesigned... Does that mean I missed the release of the Touchpad 1?

It's not uncommon for companies to be working on a products successor before they've even released the product before it. I guarantee the iPad 3, 4, etc. have been in the works for quite some time.
    From the beginning of your post I think you're saying that the move was apple inspired but from the end I see the opposite..
    I pretty much agree. I don't doubt that the change is coming (though I'm not sure of it either); however, I don't think any of their changes have to do with any recent Apple announcements. First of all, they don't move that fast, and secondly like I said, there was nothing earth-shattering about the iPad2. I suspect there would have had to be something much more unexpected to have caused "panic" at HP.

I suspect that any move they make to move the tablet(s) to another division would be based on that department handling hardware. OS would likely still be handled by Palm, or possibly a new division. I suspect Palm (or a new division that's made up mostly of the current Palm team) would still work to keep some cohesiveness between the various devices and services that WebOS will use.

If the changes happen, they will be interesting to watch. But don't think it's because of "panic" over Apple. Apple is pretty much where HP has seen them since taking a look at WebOS last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's not uncommon for companies to be working on a products successor before they've even released the product before it. I guarantee the iPad 3, 4, etc. have been in the works for quite some time.
    My point was I don't care about the TP2 so much right now as I need some TP right now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Would the redesign of the iPad be cause by panic at Apple over Android devices, or maybe even the decision by their leading competitor in the technology industry to enter the game?
    My point was I don't care about the TP2 so much right now as I need some TP right now!!!

Any guy that screams he needs TP right now, someone should give him some TP.
    do these execs live in a cave? Every tech blog and 'analyst' predicted exactly what the iPad 2 would be; faster, lighter and thinner. To not be prepared for that is just foolish and quite incomprehensible.
  19.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Would the redesign of the iPad be cause by panic at Apple over Android devices, or maybe even the decision by their leading competitor in the technology industry to enter the game?
    I'm sure they watch the market, just like everyone else does, and that plays on the design choices they make in later models. How much weight the market actually plays in their decision(s)? Probably very little.

Apple has always been notorious for doing the unpopular thing, only to have it later become the trend.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast