Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Any guy that screams he needs TP right now, someone should give him some TP.
    .. I think we ALL need some TP right now!! Lol

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Many people buy the iPad not for its hardware but the software; most tablet makers that are going back to the drawing boards fail to realize this. It's not the hardware, it's the software!

There's a small group, of loyalists, found here on these forums that will buy a TouchPad just because of webOS, but there's a much much larger group out there that won't.
    Yep, it's more about apps then it is about hardware. they won't learn that.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Would the redesign of the iPad be cause by panic at Apple over Android devices, or maybe even the decision by their leading competitor in the technology industry to enter the game?
    Maybe it's prompted by all those tablets that sold real well before the ipad that you were talking about? lol. http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post2898607
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    This sounds more like a natural evolution of HP's strategy to use its resources rather than panic..

Why? HP understands a simple fact, tablets are eating away at the laptop market, why not leverage a team that understands this market and would otherwise become underutilized as tablets emerge.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    This sounds more like a natural evolution of HP's strategy to use its resources rather than panic..

Why? HP understands a simple fact, tablets are eating away at the laptop market, why not leverage a team that understands this market and would otherwise become underutilized as tablets emerge.
    Are you implying that HP's laptop/netbook department understands the tablet market?
    Are you implying that HP's laptop/netbook department understands the tablet market?
    at this point i'm not sure anyone other then Apple fully knows the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    at this point i'm not sure anyone other then Apple fully knows the market.
    At this point it sometimes feels like no-one other than Apple can release anything resonating with the market because the market does not care for a technology unless it's released by Apple.
    The Apple Reality Distortion Field is the only viable explanation for the weird effect you get when any other company improves existing technology and gets called a copycat as opposed to when Apple improves existing technology and gets called revolutionary.

2006: A smart phone? I'm smart enough as it is, thank you. I'm actually glad I don't have to react to emails all the time, and it's just as well that I don't have the internet with me at all times. I don't need it. I don't care for paying extra for "3G", either. And I don't get this touchscreen fad. It's much easier to just type in a number using the number pad, no? And seriously, 200.000 programs available for Windows Mobile? Who cares. If I need programs, I'll just use Windows Regular. Similarly, if I need to listen to music, I'll just use my iPod. No need to put the music on my phone.
    2007: ZOMG the internet - on a phone!? And it can even play my mp3s! Apple just totally changed the world.
    2008: Wow, did you hear that the iPhone now also supports something called "Apps"? They're like computer programs, but you run them on your phone! And it has this new 3G thing that makes your internet positively *fly*. This changes EVERYTHING!
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Every tech blog and 'analyst' predicted exactly what the iPad 2 would be; faster, lighter and thinner. To not be prepared for that is just foolish and quite incomprehensible.
    Did they predict the price? I think that was the most significant aspect of the press conference (along with it being available friday). And I think that is what gave Samsung pause, and may be giving HP pause as well.

At this point given that they held the price point it seems logical to predict that the iPad3 will also debut at the same prices.

Heck if nothing else maybe HP's notebook division has more clout with chipmakers and other suppliers in china.
    Other than the fantastic price, I don't see why anyone would panic about the ipad 2 reveal.

i'm sure moving hardware design to the notebook team is more related to speeding up development cycle, and reshuffling their resources to match market trends. People are buying less notebooks, more tablets.
    I disagree with those that would take palm design over HP's. Though I love the river stone design, and rounded corners on palm designs, I have had 2 HP pavillions, and 3 Macbook Pros and have to say the design on the Pavillion is leaps and bounds over the macbook pro. Its alot more professional looking, and the combination of sleekness, and feel on it makes me never want to go back to a macbook pro. I dont think this move if true is a bad idea at all, as well as reviews of HP top of the line laptops and desktops are very highly rated, so dont get that confused at all like they are inferior to Apple Products on any level.
    [QUOTE=sketch42;2901526]My point was I don't care about the TP2 so much right now as I need some TP right now!!!

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url=

yes please wipe when you done !! Ha ha I agree we all need TP right now !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I don't think this move(if true) has anything to do with the iPad2. It's a great press angle though. I'm not saying what Apple creates does not influence what their competition designs but it's just a tablet. I think HP needs to take to heart about what Apotheker said about bringing new technology to the market. Yes creating good software to use with webOS would be good too but HP has never been a software company till right now with webOS. Apple has been one since it's inception.

HP does need to develop some great basic apps especially with google maps. They are so far behind iOS and Android on this front that it's embarrassing. It wouldn't hurt to develop some media apps that give their platforms users some options similar to iMovie and Garageband which are both vey attractive to the market. Waiting for 3rd parties is useless. This stuff should be included out of the box. Hardware wise, they can always remain competitive. because that's an easy one. Always make it thin, light, attractive, and powerful. I still don't know why they didn't shoot for making it thinner than the ipad 1 right off the bat.
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    Did they predict the price? I think that was the most significant aspect of the press conference (along with it being available friday). And I think that is what gave Samsung pause, and may be giving HP pause as well.

At this point given that they held the price point it seems logical to predict that the iPad3 will also debut at the same prices.

Heck if nothing else maybe HP's notebook division has more clout with chipmakers and other suppliers in china.
    i could be wrong but i dont think Apple ever released a mobile product upgrade that was more expensive than the product it was replacing. Why start now?
    There's a small group, of loyalists, found here on these forums that will buy a TouchPad just because of webOS, but there's a much much larger group out there that won't.
    I think it tremendously ironic that you come to a WebOS forum and talk about "a small group of loyalists, found here on these forums". Have you possibly taken a wrong turn somewhere.

As far as your assertion that "they won't", seems that some of the non-tech pundits disagree with you. I guess we shall see.

If they do buy it, and it becomes popular, will you still be coming around telling us all how the company is going to fail?

I will also add, just for the sake of clarity (and to put us all in our place) there's a much larger group of people that won't buy an IOS tablet than the group that will.

None of these devices have reached 50% saturation world wide yet.
    Did I miss the shock & awe of the ipad2? I didn't find it ground shaking on any level? The only panic I could see were the original ipad owners who had just purchased their device in the past month but that backlash was put down by the refunds that Apple is offering those owners.

HP was already on record (I believe in February which was almost a month prior to the ipad2 release) as saying that they wanted WebOS in a notebook.

As far as Xoom, that device is overpriced IMO. Maybe that's why they are allegedly in a panic?
    Last edited by Achill3s; 03/08/2011 at 01:41 PM.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Don't forget about what the iPad has that other tablets don't: iOS.
    Exactly why I would not want one.

Many people buy the iPad not for its hardware but the software; most tablet makers that are going back to the drawing boards fail to realize this. It's not the hardware, it's the software!

People buy iPad cause of the software — the rest of the world (manufacturers don't get that). People wanting to buy TouchPad cause of the software — seems negatively biased in your next paragraph?! I don't get that ...

And if the hardware don't matter, why are iPhones and iPads getting speced up, and why do people talk about the (visually) lovely HW when it is all about the SW?

In my view the hype is a major thing here, and as for now — most people still don't know that a great alternative exists. Palm failed the most on that part — marketing, availability and shine. You know, plastic just cannot compete with brushed metal and top notch design!

[I it were possible to doctor webOS onto an iPad2, I would do it.
    Oh, yeah! That would be a merger I'd appreciate, if it didn't require me to make Apple any richer. What a dilemma ...
    Last edited by autodidact; 03/08/2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Added another quote

{I never liked playing with cards until webOS made it useful}
    Also don't forget all the rumors about the iPad 2's resolution being four times the iPad's, analogously to the iPhone 4's being four times the iPhone 3GS's. There were also quite a few rumors about an SD card slot. As it is, the iPad 2 is just a tad slimmer and lighter. An incremental update if ever there was one.

If Apple doesn't meet rumored expectations, that doesn't change a damn thing about how brilliant their product is, though. Just another thing that holds Apple apart from the unwashed masses of tech companies. No other company gets away with that; in fact, merely releasing incremental updates is commonly said to have been Palm's downfall.
    Just to be clear concerning Apple's 'software,' it's the apps not iOS. iOS needs a serious revamp for it to be more than just the app portal that it is now. And it needs to become more if Apple wants to retain it's reign.
    -beta testing WebOS since June 2009.
    Quote Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
    The more incredible part of what Apple is forgiven for is how they treat their customers.

I dunno. I get treated pretty well by them. Amazing customer service. Third best customer service for any product category in the WORLD if I remember the research properly.

As a company, Apple's service to me a customer is impeccable. That's not to say I don't hit a nimrod occasionally - they exist in every organization. But as a whole, they take exceptional care of me and my products.
    Quote Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
    I'd love to see them handle that increase in workload.

The more incredible part of what Apple is forgiven for is how they treat their customers. Just release some more smooth looking stuff and we'll all forget and forgive. It is very much like religious people that thanks their god for anything good and excuses all the bad stuff with; God works in mysterious ways ...

I'm getting upset thinking of how mentally ******** some people are within this subject.
    I don't understand how they treat their customers poorly? They follow pretty routine product upgrades to allow for customers to plan accordingly. They give money back when products suddenly drop in price. They have great customer service who will actually fix/replace your products without you having to mail them somewhere (if you have warranty).
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    Woohoo! Touchpad Envy plz!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast