View Poll Results: What should HP copy from the UI of the Playbook?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Look at that Launcher

    3 15.79%
  • Swipe the 'swipe-in' keyboard

    7 36.84%
  • Acquire the 'All singing, all dancing' mode

    4 21.05%
  • Other (mentioned in comments)

    4 21.05%
  • None

    8 42.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
  1. PLinger's Avatar
    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
       #1  
    You've all seen the Playbook by now, and the recent comments from HP about "some uncanny similarities" and "a fast imitation cycle in this market." I can't help but agree that the Playbook was clearly influenced by the webOS although I can't say if the student will be any better than the master. However, once it became clear that a 7" HP tablet won't be released any time soon, I decided to take a closer look at the Playbook. I discovered that it is different in some ways from the TouchPad demoed by HP, and I'm wondering what the community thinks about that...

    1) Blackberry's Launcher: It's like multiple docks, organized on your behalf



    2) Always available software keyboard: get a keyboard at anytime by swiping the corner


    3) All singing, all dancing mode: Configure when apps keep running in card mode


    That's all I've noticed from the previews so far. Anymore?

    As they say, "good artists copy, great artists steal" so I hope HP won't be too bashful about borrowing features from a competitor and making it their own. If there is any advantage from launching last, that would be it.

    (all pictures borrowed from engadget)
  2. #2  
    The first feature HP should copy is speed. They PlayBook seems amazingly responsive and FAST. The TouchPad, not so much.
  3. PLinger's Avatar
    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    The first feature HP should copy is speed. They PlayBook seems amazingly responsive and FAST. The TouchPad, not so much.
    That's true... I don't want to criticize HP/Palm for the laggy demos, as the TouchPad is still far from production, but webOS just doesn't have a track record of speedy devices. By contrast, the speed of the beta Playbook blew my mind,

    That's off topic though, more of an engineering effort that a design/UI decision.
  4. mpfef's Avatar
    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #4  
    They've already copied arguably the biggest 'feature'...the fact that it hasn't shipped and it's been what, 5 months since it was announced at an event where press weren't allowed to touch it?

    Seems like HP is on track.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    The first feature HP should copy is speed. They PlayBook seems amazingly responsive and FAST. The TouchPad, not so much.
    Urg....when the PB was first demoed, it was a bit laggy as well. That was back in September of 2010, so if demos of the device 5 months later are snappy and responsive, there would be a serious problem. Rest assured that the TPad will be good to go by release time.

    (As an aside, check every single user impression from the Pre2 owners and one of the first things they say is "The device is super fast and responsive, and even smoother than my OC Pre+.")
  6. #6  
    Wasn't webOS demoed back in January...of 2009? My apologies if me thinking the demo of the latest version should be much better given the hardware it was demoed on is too crazy for reality. Again, I hope they leverage the speed feature.
  7. PLinger's Avatar
    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Urg....when the PB was first demoed, it was a bit laggy as well. That was back in September of 2010, so if demos of the device 5 months later are snappy and responsive, there would be a serious problem. Rest assured that the TPad will be good to go by release time.

    (As an aside, check every single user impression from the Pre2 owners and one of the first things they say is "The device is super fast and responsive, and even smoother than my OC Pre+.")
    Do you have links for that? I wasn't exactly paying attention to the playbook when it was announced but what I recall is that BB didn't actually show the playbook back in september. All that was shown at the playbook announcement was a video with simulated images not the actual device in real time use (which some pundits found amusing at the time and blasted RIM for that move).

    I have owned a Pre2. While it's better than the Pre plus and pixi plus I had previously, it still has problems.

    This is all besides the point. I wouldn't like to see this thread derailed with release dates and laggy touchscreens when there are much more interesting topics to be discussed.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    Do you have links for that? I wasn't exactly paying attention to the playbook when it was announced but what I recall is that BB didn't actually show the playbook back in september. All that was shown at the playbook announcement was a video with simulated images not the actual device in real time use (which some pundits found amusing at the time and blasted RIM for that move).

    I have owned a Pre2. While it's better than the Pre plus and pixi plus I had previously, it still has problems.

    This is all besides the point. I wouldn't like to see this thread derailed with release dates and laggy touchscreens when there are much more interesting topics to be discussed.
    You can see lots of lag and malfunctions in this vid. It's brand new from the ground up, bugs are a natural part of that. iOS 1.0 was quite terrible in comparison to version 4...



    And some in this one too...

  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    The first feature HP should copy is speed. They PlayBook seems amazingly responsive and FAST. The TouchPad, not so much.
    I like the Playbook and think its a great step forward for the BlackBerry platform. I think that borrowing features from someone elso who made something standard is not a bad idea. Something I like about the Playbook is the music player. And the price. RIM has a winner and I hope HP copies or is better in all areas mentioned
  10. #10  
    Does it seem ironic to anyone else that RIM could start from scratch with a basic OS and allegedly produce something that mimics webOS, but HP, one of the largest tech companies on earth, can't get their own OS up and functioning as quickly as RIM's knockoff?
  11. mpfef's Avatar
    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Does it seem ironic to anyone else that RIM could start from scratch with a basic OS and allegedly produce something that mimics webOS, but HP, one of the largest tech companies on earth, can't get their own OS up and functioning as quickly as RIM's knockoff?
    I must have missed the release of the Playbook, when did it get released again?
  12. #12  
    I like how the playbook has the app name under the cards.
  13. Olidie's Avatar
    Posts
    385 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    I like how the playbook has the app name under the cards.
    Too busy for me.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Does it seem ironic to anyone else that RIM could start from scratch with a basic OS and allegedly produce something that mimics webOS, but HP, one of the largest tech companies on earth, can't get their own OS up and functioning as quickly as RIM's knockoff?
    There are several differences in your comparison that need to be address. First, RIM started to buy QNX on April 9th and about a month later the deal was closed. So, in May QNX was owned by RIM. HP started to buy Palm in or around April 29th-ish. The deal was not closed until June. RIM is a software company, too and HP is a hardware company with little software experience and no OS experience. RIM -- who makes Mobile OS's -- bought a company who makes -- you guessed it -- OS's. I believe the PlayBook is being released in April sometime. Which is 11 months from the date of RIM purchasing and closing on QNX. However, HP closed on Palm in June. That would mean April is 10 months after HP closed on Palm. So, I think it's kinda funny you think RIM is doing some faster then HP when in fact, they are releasing their products around the same time table.

    And HP should copy their tabbed browser. I totally forgot about that.
  15. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #15  
    RIM/QNX deal closed on June 2, 2010. HP/Palm deal closed on July 1, 2010.

    Harman - Harman Announces Successful Conclusion of $200M Sale of QNX Software Unit

    HP Completes Palm Acquisition
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    There are several differences in your comparison that need to be address. First, RIM started to buy QNX on April 9th and about a month later on June 2, the deal was closed. So, in May June QNX was owned by RIM. HP started to buy Palm in or around April 29th-ish. The deal was not closed until June July. RIM is a software company, too and HP is a hardware company with little software experience with significant software experience and no major OS experience building HP-UX. RIM -- who makes Mobile OS's -- bought a company who makes -- you guessed it -- OS's. I believe the PlayBook is being released in April sometime on April 10. Which is 11 10 months from the date of RIM purchasing and closing on QNX. However, HP closed on Palm in June July. That would mean April May is 10 months after HP closed on Palm. So, I think it's kinda funny absolutely correct that you think RIM is doing some faster then HP when in fact, they are releasing their products around the same time table they are releasing their products on clearly different time tables.
    My corrections to your post are imbedded, in red, in the quote above. Some of the original was correct.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    My corrections to your post are imbedded, in red, in the quote above. Some of the original was correct.
    But RIM started to buy April 9th and was suppose to close 30-45 days, which if you count equals within May. RIM Buys QNX to Tie Phones to Cars | News & Opinion | PCMag.com There is my source. I have been unable -- even on QNX web site -- to find a date when it actually closed. Please provide me with a source. I didn't know about HP UX however that does not change the fact RIM has had more time to actually develop the PlayBook then HP. And since July 1st 2010 was the date HP bought Palm that gives them LESS time to develop their tablet. That means when the Playbook is released HP would have NINE MONTHS and when it's released in June or July they would have 11 to 12 months of development time to create the TouchPad. That is what it usually takes to research and develop a good device. If you want an even better product longer. So I think the time frame -- although not perfect -- is understandable and RIM is not doing something faster but just closed on their deal faster and is in a better position because they were able to start in May/June.
  18. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #18  
    I have already provided the source --- the official closing date of June 2 --- announced by Harman International, who was the parent company that owned QNX.

    RIM/QNX deal was announced one month ahead in time and closed the deal one month ahead in time when compared to the HP/Palm deal. There was no closing faster or slower.

    HP has other operating systems as well beside HP-UX (which is their version of Unix), they also sell OpenVMS. And HP also used to sell their own linux distribution (Secure Linux).
  19. #19  
    Sure if QNX was actually already doing the card metaphor like RIM said. But if RIM copied WebOS after the purchase that's pretty impressive.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    That means when the Playbook is released HP would have NINE MONTHS and when it's released in June or July they would have 11 to 12 months of development time to create the TouchPad. That is what it usually takes to research and develop a good device. If you want an even better product longer. So I think the time frame -- although not perfect -- is understandable and RIM is not doing something faster but just closed on their deal faster and is in a better position because they were able to start in May/June.
    Your math is mixed up:

    RIM: 10 months from QNX purchase to Playbook on the streets (Jun 2010-Apr 2011)

    HP: 12-14 months from Palm purchase to Touchpad on the streets (Jul 2010 - "Summer" 2011 [Summer=22 Jun - 23 Sep])

    No matter how you cut it, HP is lagging behind RIM 60-120 days in this race. So much for all their bountiful resources.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions