1.    #1  
    Well. I've decided to get an iPad2. After spending the last days deciding how I was going to make best use of the device, I've determined, webOS and even Windows 7 tablets have a good chance at success. Why?

Like many users outside of Silicon Valley, I'm tied to MS Office, Exchange, Sharepoint and many other security and firewall issues. I've studied the apps available for workarounds and they are clearly underwhelming.

This is the chance for HP and others. It is surprising how far iPad, etc. are from true integration with these technologies. I have to use three apps and 3rd party services just to integrate tasks and calendar and have them sync with Exchange.

I'm sure HP won't have these issues solved on launch, but they might get their faster than Apple. The fact that OTA tasks, calendar, email and notes aren't integrated like Outlook is a big hit to productivity. Whoever builds a robust Outlook conduit that addresses all the functionality in Outlook with hooks to Sharepoint and OneNote will have a major leg up.

Interestingly, MS is no closer to solving this than most. The third-party MobileNoter is better than their OneNote app.

Those stuck on MS definitely need not think iPad has their productivity needs solved. It doesn't. Let's hope HP gets what the Treo hand for years.
    <thread moved>
    I don't understand this post. It sounds like you are saying full MS Office (productivity tools) is missing from the current mobile OSes. So how does this translate into "hope for webOS" when it is also missing this type of integration? What is it about webOS that leads you to believe it will get such integration first when it's missing so many things that the other mobile OSes have "now"?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I don't understand this post. It sounds like you are saying full MS Office (productivity tools) is missing from the current mobile OSes. So how does this translate into "hope for webOS" when it is also missing this type of integration? What is it about webOS that leads you to believe it will get such integration first when it's missing so many things that the other mobile OSes have "now"?
    I'd be glad to answer that. While you're absolutely right about what lacks, it is also true that HP is more likely to focus on this functionality than Apple. MS should be focusing on it more, but they have the clear head start.

HP is already in the feedback loop of large clients so they are better positioned to try, test and learn than even Blackberry and certainly Apple. Whole companies have their entire infrastructure built around MS and HP.

It will likely hurt consumer demand to focus on this functionality, but frankly with some focus and resources, I could see webOS 4.0 coming out with more functionality than all of them. Why?

As I said, HP and MS are the closest tied to large organizations. MS sells SOFTWARE. As a result, they see that side of the equation and are also trying to maximize revenue on that front. HP is largely a hardware company and sees that angle, but doesn't need to maximize software revenue. They want device revenue. This should allow them to give away software development that MS would never do.

Example: HP should be willing to pay for someone to write the integration code for Pocket Informant or other task/calendar management app. They should be able to pay for a top notch Sharepoint app to be developed. Just like RIM, these additional functionalities make or break the corporate sale.

While Apple will continue to dominate the consumer market with a music, video, photos, social focus, there is AMPLE room for a corporate focus and HP is in a good spot to compete.
    LOL sorry. <slaps self on back of hand/>
    next you'll want 2 + 2 to = 4 and everyone knows it's equals green.

Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Like many users outside of Silicon Valley, I'm tied to MS Office, Exchange, Sharepoint and many other security and firewall issues. I've studied the apps available for workarounds and they are clearly underwhelming.
    sounds like that's just an issue of you don't like the apps. I think hp may face the issue of the app may not exist at all. there is exchange support and share point clients though for ipads. so that's one thing.

i do know apple's gone out of their way to court business http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/integration/ even at the keynote they had a Salesforce.com guy speaking on video. they clearly have a good start. they have a section of their webage dedicated to business ipad apps which should say they aren't exactly ignoring it. http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/apps/

as for office, i have to wonder why if its not on iOS, or Android, why it would be on WebOS, especially given they make money on software and have a competing OS they are trying to get money from too. If i were a betting man i'd bet they'd keep office WP7 only. Especially since it's standard on all WP7 phones and they made a big deal about it as a feature. Wait i'm am a betting man so that turn of phrase probably isn't appropriate.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 03/06/2011 at 11:47 PM.
    Uhm...I think we should just see what they come up with in the way of document editing first. webOS 3.x has not been taken out of the oven yet so I can't even begin to speculate on webOS 4.x (at least not until sometime after this summer).
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    According to the WebOS forum here, basic PIM functions are currently broken or missing, surely that's not a great sign for this stuff being 'enterprise ready' - maybe this stuff is all fixed in 3.x?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    According to the WebOS forum here, basic PIM functions are currently broken or missing, surely that's not a great sign for this stuff being 'enterprise ready' - maybe this stuff is all fixed in 3.x?
    Really??? of all people you should know better.

3.x is going to be another beta. Thats wishful thinking if anyone thinks 3.x is going to make it work with bugs, etc.

In the end, HP just needs to release their new products before any of this has a point to it
    A lot of wishful thinking really....

I mean it's been reported that MS wont have a Tablet OS until fall 2012?! And whatever HP will develop for Office Integration, you know MS will not be helping another platform so they will be on their own and without MS help so who knows how good that will be.

Apple already have the majority of Fortune 500 companies looking and testing ipads already? iphones are commonplace in corporations now with their exchange support. Boy if they come up with an Office Package with anywhere the polish that they do with a $4 garage band or imovie... ugh! So I would imagine they are very serious with enterprise. More so than HP right now I bet.

And do you expect BB or Google to sit around and not do anything in the meantime? BB had the inside track on enterprise use for the longest.... with playbook you think they will try come up with more office integration as mentioned to get that back. And of course Google.
    I could be remembering incorrectly, but I think Quick Office is slated to come with the TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Really??? of all people you should know better.

3.x is going to be another beta. Thats wishful thinking if anyone thinks 3.x is going to make it work with bugs, etc.

In the end, HP just needs to release their new products before any of this has a point to it
    Absolutely 3.x is going to go through a beta phase. However, when it's released to the public as a finished product, it will not be "another beta". Any statements contrary to that are user hyperbole.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I could be remembering incorrectly, but I think Quick Office is slated to come with the TouchPad.
    Which is why I stated in a later post to "lets see what they come up with in terms of document editing". Since it's already available for the other OSes, I still don't understand how does this translates into "hope for webOS".
    Absolutely 3.x is going to go through a beta phase. However, when it's released to the public as a finished product, it will not be "another beta". Any statements contrary to that are user hyperbole.
    webOS from '09 was deemed a finished product as well. Just sayin'. People have a right to their doubts on this one.
    Which is why I stated in a later post to "lets see what they come up with in terms of document editing". Since it's already available for the other OSes, I still don't understand how does this translates into "hope for webOS".
    If it's a workable solution, then indeed it would translate into "hope for WebOS". It may also translate into "hope for xxxx" on other OSs as well, but availability of a solution does not detract from WebOS. Even if that availability exists for other OSs.

That's what seems difficult for many of the detractors on this forum to graps. Success of other OSs does not mean failure for WebOS.
    webOS from '09 was deemed a finished product as well. Just sayin'. People have a right to their doubts on this one.
    Of course they have right to their doubts; however, making up new definitions for words confuses matters.

The WebOS released to the general public in '09 also was not a "beta product". Feel free to describe its shortcomings all you wish, but it was not beta. It was a release product.

BTW, there is a specific thread for WebOS complaints.
    Of course they have right to their doubts; however, making up new definitions for words confuses matters.

The WebOS released to the general public in '09 also was not a "beta product". Feel free to describe its shortcomings all you wish, but it was not beta. It was a release product.

No APIs, no Editing software, PDF problems, many bugs that still exist today...

I know what your saying, but im just sayin what im sayin
    Does iOS sync with the user's Exchange task list yet? The last time I checked with my friends at work with iPhones, that was the a feature that webOS did that their phones couldn't. Calendar and email sync worked fine for both OSes.

No one is making up terms. We all know what is being said here when people state that webOS is still beta. I will not enter the semantic war with you. Thank you for your counter points.
    No one is making up terms.
    No, they are making a sad attempt to misapply them.

We all know what is being said here when people state that webOS is still beta.
    Yes, they are trolling.

<<closed>>
    Just call me Berd.