1.    #1  
    When will Google make their own tablet like they do with the Nexus Series? B/c I think that be really cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    When will Google make their own tablet like they do with the Nexus Series? B/c I think that be really cool.
    Isn't that what the Xoom is? It's stock 3.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right on target with that comment. If users are able to update the Xoom on the same aggressive schedule as the Nexus, that would be sweet.
    my guess is never (or at least rarely). My understanding of the Nexus 1 was it was intended to push the envelope and demostrate what android could do because google thought manufactures were not using android to the fullest. Then when the EVO came out (coupled with slow sales) there was no need. Isn't the next Nexus made by samsung? That is a Samsung branded phone rather then Google branded?

I think Google venturing into hardware is a costly venture. I'd predict that like microsoft they very rarely start making hardware. I think they'll stick to software and these internet services. It's the ads from them that are their bread and butter right now.

Xoom is motorola. http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...OOM/index.html

If it's stock i don't think that means it's Google's venture. Especially since Motorola for about two years has made making money off android job 1. i don't see why they'd take a contract for google when they can just make their own android tablet and reap more of the profit. I also don't think it's the only stock android device. like isn't the galaxy tab pretty stock and the G2 mostly stock?
    Samsung honeycomb tablet will be stock OS as well.
  6.    #6  
    No. Look below.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    my guess is never (or at least rarely). My understanding of the Nexus 1 was it was intended to push the envelope and demostrate what android could do because google thought manufactures were not using android to the fullest. Then when the EVO came out (coupled with slow sales) there was no need. Isn't the next Nexus made by samsung? That is a Samsung branded phone rather then Google branded?

I think Google venturing into hardware is a costly venture. I'd predict that like microsoft they very rarely start making hardware. I think they'll stick to software and these internet services. It's the ads from them that are their bread and butter right now.
    I was on my blackberry and didn't have time to explain myself ... I do apologize for that. Anyway the bold text in the quote is correct. They wanted to push the hardware forward -- the Nexus One pretty much defined the "super phone" market and started the tech wars in phones. The Nexus S is also a Google Branded phone, however, and it has a similar goal but kinda fell flat because it's specs was last year tech. But it's still a great design.

So my question is, is Google going to work with HTC, Samsung or someone to kinda push the envelope and show the world whats possible? I am not sure thats needed but we shall see!
    No. Look below.

I was on my blackberry and didn't have time to explain myself ... I do apologize for that. Anyway the bold text in the quote is correct. They wanted to push the hardware forward -- the Nexus One pretty much defined the "super phone" market and started the tech wars in phones. The Nexus S is also a Google Branded phone, however, and it has a similar goal but kinda fell flat because it's specs was last year tech. But it's still a great design.

So my question is, is Google going to work with HTC, Samsung or someone to kinda push the envelope and show the world whats possible? I am not sure thats needed but we shall see!
    Ok i get. it So this time around they seem to have just changed the distribution. Where as the Nexus was only through google this you can get at best buy and the tmobile store, or so i read. I though Samsung just took the name and made a phone.

Well with that in mind i'd still hold to the general thrust of my post that Google won't be rushing to be a hardware company. I'd add to that that Google can easily afford to do stuff like this even at a loss, unlike other companies.

i heard a guy a while back commenting on google and he pointed out how they still make the vast majority of their revenue off ad sales and some enterprise services. But that much of their recent ventures haven't been that successful. Remember Google video, Orkut, latitude, Buzz, Wave, google tv? Add to that they dont' make anything off of Android. Maybe some through app store sales. Well the point was they have yet to truly diversify their revenue streams and they are looking.

So in that sense i can see them trying what ever it takes to think up new stuff to see if they can do more then get just ad revenue. I mean we could see them venture into the hardware to show off a tablet if they don't like what's out their and given apple's dominance that could be a real possibility.