Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Its actually pretty nice. Its fun to sit and watch Palm's ideas get nitpicked. For a OS that's used/known by so few, it sure has been inspirational.

I wonder if Palm will move to get this app blocked, i noticed they did have a pending patent on the wave launcher.
    Well yeah, that's the whole point! The wave is a way to get those favorite apps without having to change to card view. Since you never used it, I can see why you might not get the purpose, meaning that was of no use to you. But for me, it's yet another way that webOS uses a gesture to make it easy to quickly transition from one activity to another. Why would I want it to not have the same apps I selected for the launcher?

Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    In webOS, the wave launcher just brings that up and whatever is on it.

On Android, you can have one set there, then bring up this wave launcher and have completely different stuff on it.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Wave Launcher is very cool. Good chance it will be gone soon. there was the wave launcher for the Centro ( still use on my sons centro) and it was forced to be discontinued by Palm after they were threatened legal action. WEB OS is a cool OS that the best parts of were or are taken by the popular OS makers. If the hardware for the Pre was any good WEBOS might be a competitor today instead of the joke it has become. If Only Palm did it right. anyways the transition to Android was pretty seamless for me after I got used to not using gestures and the wave launcher . now that all the things Webos can do are not unique anymore there really is no transition anymore.
    It was the whole point but this is an improvment on that.having more options. Again it all comes down to personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    Well yeah, that's the whole point! The wave is a way to get those favorite apps without having to change to card view. Since you never used it, I can see why you might not get the purpose, meaning that was of no use to you. But for me, it's yet another way that webOS uses a gesture to make it easy to quickly transition from one activity to another. Why would I want it to not have the same apps I selected for the launcher?
    The combination of this plus SwipePad and QuickDesk gives me even more task switching/multitasking power. Swipe up for 5 apps, swipe right for a different 12, double tap home for 16 more plus last 16 used and hold home for last 8. The only reason to go to my home screen now is to use my widgets. Very cool!

The wave bar could use some tweaks though so looking forward to the updates.
    Last edited by taharka; 03/05/2011 at 10:20 AM.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    If I understand it correctly, it ONLY works from the Android home screen... So no use what so ever. You have to switch to the home screen first. You would have your favorite apps there anyway. Why need an additional wave launcher...

That's the cool thing of the webOS wave launcher. It works EVERYWHERE!
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    now that all the things Webos can do are not unique anymore there really is no transition anymore.
    There is still the Touchstone, which is better than any Powermat solution in my mind because of the fit. Won't be enough to hold most people over though and they all carry one flaw that many have complained about. If you're not in a situation where you can use the speaker phone, you can't charge and talk wirelessly.

In the end, you are correct. There isn't much that is both unique to webOS and matters to the masses.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    If I understand it correctly, it ONLY works from the Android home screen... So no use what so ever. You have to switch to the home screen first. You would have your favorite apps there anyway. Why need an additional wave launcher...

Your understanding is incorrect. It can be used everywhere. You can also tell it to trigger from a swipe up, swipe left or swipe right.
    Last edited by taharka; 03/05/2011 at 10:21 AM.
    incorrect . it works everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post

True , I have the touchstone and while I am not sure about others opinion but it wasnt a nessecity for me. I got one only after radioshack dumped the palm stuff and got rid of the touchstones for almost nothing. While cool and all I could live without a touchstone.

Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    There is still the Touchstone, which is better than any Powermat solution in my mind because of the fit. Won't be enough to hold most people over though and they all carry one flaw that many have complained about. If you're not in a situation where you can use the speaker phone, you can't charge and talk wirelessly.

In the end, you are correct. There isn't much that is both unique to webOS and matters to the masses.
    LOL! The transition really didn't bother me much. The biggest change for me was that, before I'd always had a physical keyboard.

Do you miss it?
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    Do you miss it?
    Nope, took a couple of days to get used to the virtual keyboard and now, I don't miss it at all. I like having no moving parts to worry about.

Sent from my favorite gadget!
    i agree I was a hard keyboard guy until I started using a virtual keyboard and will never go back. No moving parts. takes up no space . only there when you need it. Physical buttons sukck.
    I like having no moving parts to worry about
    This would be very useful on the Pre if you could change the apps to launch. Funny, no one created a patch for that on 1.4.5.
    Anyone know if it's possible to make the wave launcher display your recent apps? That'd be great!
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    don't really use it ad currently have it disabled in favor of the Virtual Keyboard in 2.1.0
    aside from that, the android implementation in that video just looks bad. they need to make it look nicer, although that's my opinion of the OS in general and the problem with many open source softwares.
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    i agree I was a hard keyboard guy until I started using a virtual keyboard and will never go back. No moving parts. takes up no space . only there when you need it. Physical buttons sukck.
    I actually am comfortable with either, but I couldn't resist the irony here....thinking about you typing on your VKB about how physical KBs suck and...well....you see the result above in bold
    Our sister-site, AndroidCentral, has an article and discussion in place about this product. Please feel free to continue the discussion here: Android Quick-App: Wave Launcher | Android Central
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12