Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 85
  1. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #1  
    I couldn't think of a place to ask this so I thought maybe cross-platform chat.

    In many threads, people talk about Touchstone as a unique selling point and something that can be used to attract people to the WebOS platform. However, we know that innovation quickly leads to replication and that successful ideas are quickly integrated into other platforms - so why isn't anyone doing this? As far as I can see none of the major platforms are trying to replicate this functionality - it's only being done by people like powermat.

    So if it's such a big selling point - why isn't anyone ripping it off? That's not a dig, I'm very puzzled because people here rave about it and get a lot of benefit out of it.
    Last edited by CGK; 03/04/2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: OP title change requested
  2. #2  
    Most people who don't use one just think that they can plug in their phone easy enough. It is only when you start using one that you discover its usefulness
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have NaN posts.
  3. #3  
    My guess is that they would rather copy battery life, rather than copy expensive ways of charging a weaker battery. It might also be that HP is a bit further down the list of companies worth copying than others.
  4. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_twite View Post
    Most people who don't use one just think that they can plug in their phone easy enough. It is only when you start using one that you discover its usefulness
    Right and we see plenty of that here, people rave about it - however, other companies carefully monitor what their competitor are doing and if there is a feature that scores highly with users, it's pretty quickly ripped off, so if the feedback is as great as it appears here - why aren't we see RIM and others copying it?
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    My guess is that they would rather copy battery life, rather than copy expensive ways of charging a weaker battery. It might also be that HP is a bit further down the list of companies worth copying than others.

    OK that seems logical to me (I wish Android makers would copy the battery life of my other half's BB Bold! ) - anyone want to disagree?
  6. #6  
    one of the android handset makers just announced they are going to do wireless charging.

    LG Revolution Gets Fulton Qi Inductive Wireless Charging Back Cover | GottaBeMobile

    and apple has applied for inductive patent, as well as a solar charging mechanism (imagine if the entire bezel was a solar panel. It would look cool and extend battery life)

    Palm envy: Apple applies for inductive charging dock patent | PreCentral.net
  7. #7  
    I think company should focus on longer battery life. iPad definately doesn't need touchstone charging station since it has amazing battery life. Even iPhone 4 got great battery life, and I am certain that iPhone 5 will have even better battery life and still maintaining the size and faster cpu.

    Touchstone was never been a big selling point to general customers, and never will be.
  8. #8  
    I actually think the ipad's new case is an attempt by Jobs to create an accessory as cool as the touchstone.. Fail.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I think company should focus on longer battery life. iPad definately doesn't need touchstone charging station since it has amazing battery life. Even iPhone 4 got great battery life, and I am certain that iPhone 5 will have even better battery life and still maintaining the size and faster cpu.

    Touchstone was never been a big selling point to general customers, and never will be.

    ^^^ This. Gadgets that have a good battery life don't need tools that allow for constant charging. And promoting them only reminds people that the item needs to be charged all the time.

    I think Pre users are enamored of it because the battery is so poor, and this makes it bearable.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I couldn't think of a place to ask this so I thought maybe cross-platform chat.

    In many threads, people talk about Touchpad as a unique selling point and something that can be used to attract people to the WebOS platform. However, we know that innovation quickly leads to replication and that successful ideas are quickly integrated into other platforms - so why isn't anyone doing this? As far as I can see none of the major platforms are trying to replicate this functionality - it's only being done by people like powermat.

    So if it's such a big selling point - why isn't anyone ripping it off? That's not a dig, I'm very puzzled because people here rave about it and get a lot of benefit out of it.
    Yeah I saw that powermat and it isn't pretty. big, bulky, takes up space, and you need a separate back for each device. I often wondered the same thing why people didn't copy the touchstone. I swear by them.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    ^^^ This. Gadgets that have a good battery life don't need tools that allow for constant charging. And promoting them only reminds people that the item needs to be charged all the time.

    I think Pre users are enamored of it because the battery is so poor, and this makes it bearable.
    Aside from the iPhone, pretty much most other smart phones need to be charged at least once per day.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I think company should focus on longer battery life. iPad definately doesn't need touchstone charging station since it has amazing battery life. Even iPhone 4 got great battery life, and I am certain that iPhone 5 will have even better battery life and still maintaining the size and faster cpu.

    Touchstone was never been a big selling point to general customers, and never will be.
    Can't say I know first hand the battery life of an iPad under use since I haven't used one for an extended amount of time. However I do know that the comment about the iPhone 4 battery is not genuine. The iPhone 4 does not have an impressive battery life it is akin to the industry standard for advanced smartphones, the Pre being below that standard. There's no way my fiancee would make it through the day with an iPhone if I hadn't picked up an add-on battery case for her to use and still needs to charge each day. By contract with a less advanced smartphone, BB Curve and Pixi Plus, she could go 2-3 days between charges. The only thing the iPhone has over other smartphones is battery durability because they use Li-polymer instead of Li-ion.

    For inductive charging I think general consumers have this image of needing to put this big "plate" on the back of their device, i.e. powermat.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Aside from the iPhone, pretty much most other smart phones need to be charged at least once per day.
    Its the phones that need to be charged multiple times a day, where having chargers scattered around your living and working space is necessary - not the one that need to be charged just once a day.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Can't say I know first hand the battery life of an iPad under use since I haven't used one for an extended amount of time. However I do know that the comment about the iPhone 4 battery is not genuine. The iPhone 4 does not have an impressive battery life it is akin to the industry standard for advanced smartphones, the Pre being below that standard. There's no way my fiancee would make it through the day with an iPhone if I hadn't picked up an add-on battery case for her to use and still needs to charge each day....
    Then your fiance should bring it back (if you are talking about an iPhone4) because I didn't charge mine last night, or all day yesterday after taking it off the charger at 8 am yesterday, and I am on 78% right now.

    Granted it was low use (calls, texts, Words with Friends, browsing - no streaming or other games) but charging in the day time is a thing of the past with that phone.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Then your fiance should bring it back (if you are talking about an iPhone4) because I didn't charge mine last night, or all day yesterday after taking it off the charger at 8 am yesterday, and I am on 78% right now.

    Granted it was low use (calls, texts, Words with Friends, browsing - no streaming or other games) but charging in the day time is a thing of the past with that phone.
    See, I've actually heard the opposite of your claim over from the "expert" bloggers of TiPb, that spare battery sources are pretty much a necessity for even the iPhone.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    See, I've actually heard the opposite of your claim over from the "expert" bloggers of TiPb, that spare battery sources are pretty much a necessity for even the iPhone.
    And I know it from someone that has one. He always uses one of the cases that's actually a spare power source.


    Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  17. #17  
    depend on how much you use. However, when my wife got his first verizon iphone, she used it alot. Download tons of stuffs, facetime with her friends, and streaming video. She was able to use it whole day and got atleast 30% left on her iphone before she went to the bed. I don't use iphone but my ipad last several days without charging. If Apple has touchstone for iPad, I wouldn't waste my money on that charger.
  18. #18  
    iPhone battery life is good. All these second hand comments with no real world experience is moot. There is no good way to judge what Johhny does with his iPhone 4 in a day compared to what Sally does with her iphone. The only way to judge fairly is to bench mark each device in question against a set of equal standards. Otherwise all these comments on iPhone battery comments are meaningless.
  19. #19  
    There are similar devices available for other phones. I wouldn't call it a "rip off", but yes, they are available. Palm promoted it heavily because the phone was designed from the ground up to have this capability. I suspect other phone mfgs don't see enough demand to redesign theirs.
  20. #20  
    I have also been surprised it was not copied sooner. Face it, it's easy revenue and probably with high profits. I think early on it was a desire not to produce a "me-too" product. I'm sure when Apple releases theirs it'll have some additional cool features.

    One thing I have thought of though is the fact the pre has a removable battery and case so it can be an add-on. Apple can't really do that.

    In terms of usefulness, I have 3 and I love them. The one in the car is AWESOME, but I found it fell off on bumps when I didn't have a skin on it. Now it's great.
    __________________________________
    Palm Pilot, Palm III, Palm V, Palm Vx, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 700p, Centro, Palm Pre (minus) . . . ???
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions