Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    I just picked up my first Touchstone a few weeks ago and I'm glad I did. Its certainly not a need thing, but based on how I use my phone its simplified things for me. This first Touchstone sits on my bed stand which: gets my phone back up to 100% overnight, props it up on a nice angle to make it a more useful alarm clock, and makes answering support calls that wake me up in the morning SO much easier (which happens frequently enough that its worth pointing out).

I'm also in the crowd of "chargers for everywhere I'm usually at" so thanks to Mike5 up there, I'm getting my 2nd Touchstone for my van. I listen to Pandora all the time while I'm driving, now I won't have to worry about draining the battery while I do it. I know I could just use a car charger, and I had one rigged up for my old BlackBerry with a belt clip jammed into one of the vents to hold it up there. It worked but I was never happy with it. Now, with the Touchstone, I can stick it on the steering column (with a little Velcro if the sticky bottom of the Touchstone isn't up to the job) and it'll always be within sight, always charging, and much easier to hook up and remove.

My 3rd Touchstone later down the road will be at work because I get almost no reception inside the building.

It really boils down to walking in, setting my phone down, and getting on with the next thing I want/need to do. Instead of opening up my backpack, unwinding my charger, plugging it in to the wall, then plugging my phone in. To me that's worth the extra $5'ish versus a standard charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    One person's anectdotal "evidence" hardly makes the argument. The very fact that there are multiple "additional charge" options for the iPhone, and the fact that the removable battery was one of the most welcome differences between the Pre and iPhone pretty much settles the notion that there is a demand for additional charging options for other phones.

Why it hasn't been copied is the question, and "it's not needed" for other phones is definitely not the answer.
    So you don't like my answer. No biggie. These things don't have cut and dried answers, and if they did, it wouldn't be much of a discussion forum, now would it?

I stick by my opinion (which by they way, is not "anecdotal evidence" - its an opinion, more as a marketer than anything else).
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshamano View Post
    I just picked up my first Touchstone a few weeks ago and I'm glad I did. Its certainly not a need thing, but based on how I use my phone its simplified things for me. This first Touchstone sits on my bed stand which: gets my phone back up to 100% overnight, props it up on a nice angle to make it a more useful alarm clock, and makes answering support calls that wake me up in the morning SO much easier (which happens frequently enough that its worth pointing out).

I'm also in the crowd of "chargers for everywhere I'm usually at" so thanks to Mike5 up there, I'm getting my 2nd Touchstone for my van. I listen to Pandora all the time while I'm driving, now I won't have to worry about draining the battery while I do it. I know I could just use a car charger, and I had one rigged up for my old BlackBerry with a belt clip jammed into one of the vents to hold it up there. It worked but I was never happy with it. Now, with the Touchstone, I can stick it on the steering column (with a little Velcro if the sticky bottom of the Touchstone isn't up to the job) and it'll always be within sight, always charging, and much easier to hook up and remove.

My 3rd Touchstone later down the road will be at work because I get almost no reception inside the building.

It really boils down to walking in, setting my phone down, and getting on with the next thing I want/need to do. Instead of opening up my backpack, unwinding my charger, plugging it in to the wall, then plugging my phone in. To me that's worth the extra $5'ish versus a standard charger.
    I think the reason it's not really being copied is it's just one of those things you don't realize you want until you actually start integrating it into your daily life.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    So you don't like my answer. No biggie. These things don't have cut and dried answers, and if they did, it wouldn't be much of a discussion forum, now would it?

I stick by my opinion (which by they way, is not "anecdotal evidence" - its an opinion, more as a marketer than anything else).
    Just so we're clear, I didn't call your opinion "anectdotal evidence", only the example you gave to back it up - that being the experience you've had with battery life on your device.

Just like for the Pre, there have been numerous discussions about poor battery life on the iPhone, how to improve it, and how to live with it. And even more than with the Pre, there have been devices created to help with the problem that many are having. Since the battery can't be replaced like it can on the Pre, these have consisted mainly of devices you carry with you to give a quick charge, or inductive chargers as add-ons. Which led to my point - it may be your opinion that they're not needed and that's why the option hasn't been picked up by Apple, but the existence of these add-on devices, and the complaints voiced over battery life indicate that there's enough of a demand to create a market.

I do agree though, that I can understand why Apple wouldn't want to be the company to fill that demand. Possibly that's the reason they haven't adopted it.

However, I think they haven't because of the reasons I've stated before. The device would have to be re-engineered for inductive charging to be simple add-on, and they don't see that as feature as important enough.
    This thread has ran its course.
    <closed>
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345