Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 85
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    didn't say it didn't. in fact i said. It's $40 cheaper to use a cable. Personally It's why i don't use a touchstone too.



    well precentral sells em for $38.95 apparently at a discount from $49.95. http://store.precentral.net/palm-tou...5A100A5015.htm I don't think $10 is a normal price. Even if it was $10, the point is there are free options.

    You're spot on with that last one. Of course, those devices add bulk, aren't nearly as sleek looking, and generally have very much of a "third party" look to them. But, to each their own.

    me i don't need inductive charging. If came free then fine but right now it's just an expensive add on that i don't need. My cable works just fine. Like you said. to each his own.[/QUOTE]

    I used to think the same way until I bought a touchstone. It's worth the extra money.
  2. #62  
    riight now vzw has a touchstone and awesome car charger for $15 delverd fedex free.
  3. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    My guess is that they would rather copy battery life, rather than copy expensive ways of charging a weaker battery. It might also be that HP is a bit further down the list of companies worth copying than others.
    Please...that is why every pad now has a form of inductive charging. Instead of contributing something constructive, you prefer to slightly twist the subject so you can rip the Pre. Good job.

    BTW, not so expensive as you say. Touchstone, car charger and leather case for $15:

    Verizon Accessory Sale is Back! Touchstone, Case, and Car Charger for $15 SHIPPED! | webOSroundup
  4. #64  
    One key thing about the Touchstone compared to the Powermat, Enerergizer Wireless Charger, and Duracell myGrid is how easy it is to put a Touchstone in your car. And it holds tight even if you have to slam on the breaks. Check out this:

    Palm Pre using a Touchstone mounted in your car? Post your pictures here!

    Here are my photos.

    Do we know if the Pre 3 will work with the old Touchstones or if you will need new ones?
  5. #65  
    Pre3 will work fine on existing touchstone.
  6. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    ^^^ This. Gadgets that have a good battery life don't need tools that allow for constant charging. And promoting them only reminds people that the item needs to be charged all the time.

    I think Pre users are enamored of it because the battery is so poor, and this makes it bearable.
    I disagree. We ALL want better battery life, no matter the device. I have tried the Evo & other devices that do have a better battery life, but it doesn't matter. When I come in off the golf course or whatever I was doing & decide to sit down in front of my computer, the 1st thing I do is put the pre on the Touchstone. It is simply convenient.

    When I describe it to others looking for a new phone, you can tell by their interest, this is a selling point.

    I am unsure why this place has become such a magnet for haters of everything formerly Palm.
  7. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    My wife is an average iPhone user. She makes a few calls and plays games on her breaks. She charges every few days.

    I find charging a phone a pain in the ****. The iPhone is one of the fastest charging consumer devices I have ever owns. It takes very little time to go from empty to full, and a long time to go from full to empty.

    I would much prefer a charging case to a charging stand. On the stand, your phone is stationary. You must choose between charging it and using it. In a case, you never have to stop using it. The phone is always mobile.

    You think inductive charging is cool. Great. You know what's even more cool? You show someone your inductive charging. They ask, "Why would anyone charge their phone during the day?" That's cool.
    Wow you all must have friends w/Super batteries on their iPhone 4s because I golf w/buds who use a gps based app to give them yardage on theirs & their battery is usually dead between the 9th & 12th holes.

    Doesn't mean it is not a better battery than the pre & that an inductive charging case--since you have to use one anyway on the iPhone 4 so you don't drop calls--isn't cool, if you don't mind enlarging the phone, but I don't have any friends w/an iPhone (even a 4) that don't charge it over night.

    Maybe about 5 of my friends all got bum iPhone 4s. They already had to get the free case w/it so as not to drop calls.
    Last edited by Mike5; 03/06/2011 at 09:37 AM.
  8. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #68  
    Here is what the Apple website says for iPhone 4 battery life. I am sure if it lasted days at a time, they would be advertising it as they do the "up to 10 hours" on their iPads:

    Talk time:
    Up to 7 hours on 3G
    Up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM model only)
    Standby time: Up to 300 hours
    Internet use:
    Up to 6 hours on 3G
    Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
  9. #69  
    this is cool, and steve has adapted this to touchstone, for the best of both worlds.

    Buy.com - Sprint Palm Pre Naztech 2400mAh Extended External Battery Holster Case with LED
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Here is what the Apple website says for iPhone 4 battery life. I am sure if it lasted days at a time, they would be advertising it as they do the "up to 10 hours" on their iPads:

    Talk time:
    Up to 7 hours on 3G
    Up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM model only)
    Standby time: Up to 300 hours
    Internet use:
    Up to 6 hours on 3G
    Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
    I am not sure of your point; this is pretty consistent with my experience, and seems to be right on. Are you suggesting they aren't advertising it, because it looks like they are?

    If I didn't use my phone, it would probably last ten days, as it says above.

    It's probably difficult to promote battery life with phones because what you do with it so dramatically affects the battery life. But a couple days of light use seems to be supported by the info above.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Wow you all must have friends w/Super batteries on their iPhone 4s because I golf w/buds who use a gps based app to give them yardage on theirs & their battery is usually dead between the 9th & 12th holes.

    Doesn't mean it is not a better battery than the pre & that an inductive charging case--since you have to use one anyway on the iPhone 4 so you don't drop calls--isn't cool, if you don't mind enlarging the phone, but I don't have any friends w/an iPhone (even a 4) that don't charge it over night.

    Maybe about 5 of my friends all got bum iPhone 4s. They already had to get the free case w/it so as not to drop calls.
    GPS apps like TomTom, Navigator, will drain your battery quickly, probably on any phone/tablet. Not sure if that is a good example.
  12. #72  
    Caveat to the Pre 3 working. It will charge fine on the touchstones, but some of the other functionality might be missing (ie no smart-screens dependent on which touchstone it is on).


    Also, to mount them in the car, I used an adhesive disk that came with a garmin GPS (it's a smooth plastic disk/w adhesive on one side that the suction cup can stick to). The touchstone sticks to it like glue!
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    the touchstone has the magnets, not the phone.
    True, however there is residual magnetism left in the coil on the phone side. See the precentral article where someone was able to trigger the macbook's magnetic switch with their pre's back. While it will dissipate over a few days, it is enough to screw up the compass on the EVO when people tried to mod it. That said, with proper layout/design it is possible to have a compass/inductive charging. Obviously the compass probably won't work when it is actively being charged (not 100% sure on that) so it might not be the best setup if you want a true vehicle navigation system.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I am not sure of your point; this is pretty consistent with my experience, and seems to be right on. Are you suggesting they aren't advertising it, because it looks like they are?

    If I didn't use my phone, it would probably last ten days, as it says above.

    It's probably difficult to promote battery life with phones because what you do with it so dramatically affects the battery life. But a couple days of light use seems to be supported by the info above.
    Standby time for these devices literally means you turn on Airplane Mode and leave it that way. Even the Pre can sit several days on a battery charge in Airplane Mode.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Standby time for these devices literally means you turn on Airplane Mode and leave it that way. Even the Pre can sit several days on a battery charge in Airplane Mode.
    Standby is not airplane mode.

    And even in airplane mode, our Pre (granted, OG Pre) drained completely overnight.
  16. #76  
    it's interesting that the OP was askng why other phone makers haven't copied the touchstone (and they are all working on doing inductive charging)...and it has devolved into a discussion as to why you shouldn't have to charge during the day (as if that's the only use for a touchstone) and the superiority of iPhone battery life.

    lets stay on topic please, or just let this thread fade away. There is already a thread fr comparing the iPhone to H/Palm phones. Thanks.
  17. #77  
    Removed to set an example for getting back on topic.
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 03/06/2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Cantaffordit is right.
  18. #78  
    >>>it's interesting that the OP was askng why other phone makers haven't copied the touchstone (and they are all working on doing inductive charging)...and it has devolved into a discussion as to why you shouldn't have to charge during the day>>

    it seems to me as if this answer is very on topic - if you don't have to charge during the day the TS loses its desirability as an add-on.

    From a marketing perspective, its like marketing actual car repairs with your new car, IMO.

    No one denies you need it from time to time but still, that's not what you want to focus on.

    <deleted by moderator>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/06/2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: complaining about moderator comments.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    >>>it's interesting that the OP was askng why other phone makers haven't copied the touchstone (and they are all working on doing inductive charging)...and it has devolved into a discussion as to why you shouldn't have to charge during the day>>

    it seems to me as if this answer is very on topic - if you don't have to charge during the day the TS loses its desirability as an add-on.

    From a marketing perspective, its like marketing actual car repairs with your new car, IMO.

    No one denies you need it from time to time but still, that's not what you want to focus on.

    <deleted by moderator>
    One person's anectdotal "evidence" hardly makes the argument. The very fact that there are multiple "additional charge" options for the iPhone, and the fact that the removable battery was one of the most welcome differences between the Pre and iPhone pretty much settles the notion that there is a demand for additional charging options for other phones.

    Why it hasn't been copied is the question, and "it's not needed" for other phones is definitely not the answer.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/06/2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: edited quoted text
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    >>>it's interesting that the OP was askng why other phone makers haven't copied the touchstone (and they are all working on doing inductive charging)...and it has devolved into a discussion as to why you shouldn't have to charge during the day>>

    it seems to me as if this answer is very on topic - if you don't have to charge during the day the TS loses its desirability as an add-on.

    From a marketing perspective, its like marketing actual car repairs with your new car, IMO.
    i agree. i think it's a very plausible reason not to market it. I think when you want to highlight battery life. Plus i just don't think most people care about a charger. Nothing wrong with inductive charging. I just don't think it's a high priority for most consumers. I think its a convenient add on. But for me there's nothing inconvient about taking an extra one whole second to plug in the cable rather then set it on an inductive charging device. Especially since my Pre has easy access with no door on the charging port.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions