Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    If the touchstone allowed a computer to connect to the device as if it was plugged into the USB port, it would be even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    And I know it from someone that has one. He always uses one of the cases that's actually a spare power source.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo

Again, if its the iPhone4, he should return it for a bad battery.

If its not the iPhone4, well, you're talking about a different phone than I was. The battery on my 3G was okay but nothing -- nothing -- like this.

I haven't used my car charger in 6 months. It's tossed in my back seat somewhere because I never, ever use it.
    My wife is an average iPhone user. She makes a few calls and plays games on her breaks. She charges every few days.

I find charging a phone a pain in the ****. The iPhone is one of the fastest charging consumer devices I have ever owns. It takes very little time to go from empty to full, and a long time to go from full to empty.

I would much prefer a charging case to a charging stand. On the stand, your phone is stationary. You must choose between charging it and using it. In a case, you never have to stop using it. The phone is always mobile.

You think inductive charging is cool. Great. You know what's even more cool? You show someone your inductive charging. They ask, "Why would anyone charge their phone during the day?" That's cool.
    I have never had anyone ask why i would charge my phone during the day.. everyone i have shown the touchstone to has thought it was amazing.. Family and friends that own iPhone's tell me how they wish their phone could do the same thing, without that weird case thing.

Also, i dont get why people think the touchstone charges slowly.. in my experience the phone always gets fully charged within an hour or two. i just opened up govnah and the currents for the touchstone, and for directly charging were both around 480mA

That being said, the pre does have an abysmal battery life =(
    I think inductive charging will catch on more as time marches on. Just like "multi-tasking" did.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I couldn't think of a place to ask this so I thought maybe cross-platform chat.

In many threads, people talk about Touchpad as a unique selling point and something that can be used to attract people to the WebOS platform. However, we know that innovation quickly leads to replication and that successful ideas are quickly integrated into other platforms - so why isn't anyone doing this? As far as I can see none of the major platforms are trying to replicate this functionality - it's only being done by people like powermat.

So if it's such a big selling point - why isn't anyone ripping it off? That's not a dig, I'm very puzzled because people here rave about it and get a lot of benefit out of it.
    Palm is the only company actually making a first party accessory, however you can use the power matt to wirelessly charge just about any device. So my guess is they don't think they could make it cheaper then them and choose not to. I am however surpised Apple hasn't implimented that tech in their ipad and iphone dock. Not bc I think they copy but bc its a good iidea and I remember them having a patent for it.
    ** This thread is not about another 'multitasking' debate. Please stay on-topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    My wife is an average iPhone user. She makes a few calls and plays games on her breaks. She charges every few days.

I find charging a phone a pain in the ****. The iPhone is one of the fastest charging consumer devices I have ever owns. It takes very little time to go from empty to full, and a long time to go from full to empty.

I would much prefer a charging case to a charging stand. On the stand, your phone is stationary. You must choose between charging it and using it. In a case, you never have to stop using it. The phone is always mobile.

You think inductive charging is cool. Great. You know what's even more cool? You show someone your inductive charging. They ask, "Why would anyone charge their phone during the day?" That's cool.
    Apparently, someone saw enough of a deman for chargin iPhones this way that they've engineered a solution for it. Inductive charging is only one of the many add-on options for the iPhone for those that have battery use options. Apparently, there are enough problems out there, cool or not, that folks have come up with solutions.

However, back to the topic, i don't think most mfgs of phones saw enough demand/desire for this that they would re-engineer their phones to have it a basic accessory the way it is with Palm devices.

It will be interesting to see if the newer version of TouchStone (which does more) will "inspire" others.
    Even if I had 10 hour battery life like iPad, I'd like the comfort of having the place I set it down be charging, syncing, whatever. Sure, if all that could happen automagically and remotely, that would be grand. Until then, the stone serves a great purpose, not to mention, it has the side benefit of me not misplacing my phone.
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    What extra features does the new version have?
    Front-page article about the new Touchstones:
    Touchstone v2 will communicate its identity, probably isn't NFC | PreCentral.net
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

I'd much prefer being able to swap a battery to having to use a case with a built in battery. Those charging cases do add bulk to your device after all.

Quote Originally Posted by wesleymarin View Post
    I have never had anyone ask why i would charge my phone during the day.. everyone i have shown the touchstone to has thought it was amazing.. Family and friends that own iPhone's tell me how they wish their phone could do the same thing, without that weird case thing.

Also, i dont get why people think the touchstone charges slowly.. in my experience the phone always gets fully charged within an hour or two. i just opened up govnah and the currents for the touchstone, and for directly charging were both around 480mA

That being said, the pre does have an abysmal battery life =(
    Yep, and if you plug in directly to the USB port it charges even faster. It's actually comparable to the charge rate of any iPhone/iTouch.
    The newer TSs operate at a different frequency. I've read that (among other things) that supports the "location awarene" feature that was talked about. I can't imagine though HP completely re-engineering the device for that one simple feature, so I'm sure there will be others.

Maybe your "inside guy" at HP can tell you more?
    >>Even if I had 10 hour battery life like iPad, I'd like the comfort of having the place I set it down be charging, syncing, whatever.>>

Syncing? Now THAT would be cool. As long as I could set it to only sync what I wanted it to sync.

>>I'd much prefer being able to swap a battery to having to use a case with a built in battery. Those charging cases do add bulk to your device after all.>>

That comes with a bigger build, smaller battery, more weight and more wear and tear. Its a trade off. And people can pick those how it best suits them.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post

>>I'd much prefer being able to swap a battery to having to use a case with a built in battery. Those charging cases do add bulk to your device after all.>>

That comes with a bigger build, smaller battery, more weight and more wear and tear. Its a trade off. And people can pick those how it best suits them.
    Not more wear and tear unless you planned to leave the device in the battery case. In that case it makes it considerably more bulky and heavier than the overhead of a swappable battery design.

So yea, there are definitely trade-offs.
    More wear and tear on the phone, opening and closing whatever part of the phone covers the cavity that holds the battery. To wit, the fiddly USB cover. Even the most well made little cover would have come off, under regular use.
    I drove up to the mountains with a friend over the weekend. He thought the dash mount touchstone was the coolest thing ever. It's not just that it charges, it's that it is a "smart" magnetic mount. I'd get a call, pick it up and start talking, stick back on the dash when I'm done and the internet music streaming starts right back up. You'd need quite a battery to run internet streaming, bluetooth and Sprint Nav on a 3 hr road trip - no problem with the TS.

I thought that Hpalm had a patent on magnetic induction chargers, but I'm probably wrong because I didn't see it mentioned in this thread.
    Batteries don't matter with car solutions, you should be plugging into a power source regardless of what device you are using.

And actually using a device as your nav system or "radio" could remove the need for a secondary battery since it'll be charging as your using it through out the day anyways.
    1. if you have a docking system like apple it syncs data too. so no need.
    2. it's $40 cheaper to just use a cable and it charges faster.
    3. There are inductive chargers available at stores like target and best buy if people want one.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    1. if you have a docking system like apple it syncs data too. so no need.
    2. it's $40 cheaper to just use a cable and it charges faster.
    3. There are inductive chargers available at stores like target and best buy if people want one.
    Actually, the Pre comes with a device for those that don't mind plugging and unplugging to charge or sync. It's free too.

I paid $10 new for my last Touchstone.

You're spot on with that last one. Of course, those devices add bulk, aren't nearly as sleek looking, and generally have very much of a "third party" look to them. But, to each their own.

Seriously though, if I had a device that wasn't designed for inductive charging, I'd probably go with that myself. It's nice to have a better option.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast