Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What do you think?

Engadget
    were-all-just-living/#disqus_thread
    Editorial: It's Apple's 'post-PC' world -- we're all just living in it -- Engadget

J. Tops at Engadget is THE worlds biggest WebOS/Palm fan on the planet. Be assured that he does not say what he does out of disrespect for Palm and its legacy. He is also a huge Android fan. Truthfully, he is a huge fan of tech.

This editorial, linked above, is one of the most insightful and provocative pieces I've read all year. I will end my thoughts with a few quotes from the article.

As attached as I am to my Mac, and the PC (generalized) way of doing things, I think SJ may be right in calling the iPad a post-PC device, and by extension, this the beginning of the post-PC age. I believe that may be why the iPad was so successful and struck such a chord with the general public. The iPad didn't launch the post-PC age; it simply resonated with a generation of people who were already well on their way to being post-PC.

We long left the days when people had to understand archaic things like "CD/root", to get things done on a computer. Now we have left the days behind when a person needed to know about graphics co-processors and different types of i/o. The ATX case is no longer required to have a "real" computer. Even the venerable file system is starting to go the way of the floppy.

What defines a PC nowadays? Who even knows? The average smartphone enables more people to do more computerish things than they ever could on a traditional computer. Now, we have iPads. People who didn't understand things like email and twitter, suddenly get it. What is a PC?

Whatever it was, it is quickly becoming something else, and the winners in the tech space will be the ones who define computing for the next generation. Apple is way ahead of the pack in defining what computing will look like.

That is the real triumph of the iPad and iPad 2. Looking at them as mere pieces of consumer electronics is a mistake. Critics said the iPad was not a "real" computer like a PC. Well, the iPad never needed to be a PC to be a "real" computer. They said the device was merely for consumption. The iPad 2 says, "Think again!"

On the PC side, Apple is well into the process of turning Mac OS into iOS Desktop edition. I have been using Lion of the past few days. It is easy to see where Apple sees things heading. The days when the debate was won by spec sheets, speeds and feeds, are almost over. The post-PC world is no longer about the mechanism, and everything about what the mechanism enables you to do, and how it makes you feel when you do it.

Here are a few quotes, but do read the whole article... and discuss:

This week, Apple stepped into the "post-PC" era of computing -- and there's no looking back, at least not for the folks in Cupertino.

By joining the company's ongoing vision of a "different" kind of computing with a soundbite friendly piece of marketing-speak, Apple has changed the rules of the game, and made the competition's efforts not just an uphill battle, but -- at least in the eyes of Steve Jobs and co. -- essentially moot. But what exactly is the "post-PC" world? And why is it significant? Let me explain.

In this new world, Apple no longer has to compete on specs and features, nor does it want to. There is no Mac vs. PC here -- only "the future" versus "the past." It won't be a debate about displays, memory, wireless options -- it will be a debate about the quality of the experience. Apple is not just eschewing the spec conversation in favor of a different conversation -- it's rendering those former conversations useless. It would be like trying to compare a race car to a deeply satisfying book. In a post-PC world, the experience of the product is central and significant above all else. It's not the RAM or CPU speed, screen resolution or number of ports which dictate whether a product is valuable; it becomes purely about the experience of using the device. What that means is that while Motorola and Verizon will spend millions of dollars advertising the Xoom's 4G upgrade options, CPU speed, and high-resolution cameras, Apple need only delight consumers and tell them that specs and and speed are the domain of a dinosaur called the PC. Apple isn't claiming victory in the Space Race -- it's ceding space to the competition.

But guess who gets Earth all to itself? Apple's not saying that it beats other tablets on the market. It's saying "we do one thing, and these guys do something else altogether." They're not competition -- they're not even playing the same game!
    I regularly plan media budgets (for a living) and in allocating resources, my stakeholders and I all agree this:

Mobile is the new desktop, Twitter is the new mobile. And the desktop is dead.

(In "twitter" insert you favorite, up to date social media tool)
    But yet iTunes = tethered to PC. Until OTA updates and cloud sync are allowed on Apple, it's still a PC world.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    <<threads merged>>
    My main take away is that no tech company can market the way Apple does. I would give Apple's marketing the "post PC" award above anything else.

Apple attempted to and will probably succeed in changing the rules, the way these mobile products are thought of. That's power. In one fell swoop, Jobs dismissed all these companies like Moto and HP. They're competing for something else basically.

This is nothing more than marketing. It's what Apple chooses to project. The experience vs a dazzling spec sheet. Nothing is stopping these other companies from doing the same. It'd be a shame if the competition stood by silently while they let Apple set the table but they have in the past..

Apple is the reference point for what defines this tablet market..like it or not. Yesterday, we saw Jobs basically up there painting. We've seen their influence even in these forums. Experience trumps all..specs don't matter. Imagine that, in a smartphone forum, we're seeing "specs don't matter" over and over. Imagine what the masses think. That's the power of apple's marketing. You're all affected.

The Smart Covers video, the garageband demo, ..both of these show that Apple gets it. This was the meat of the event. The specs were just the short appetizer. All peppered throughout was Jobs redefining what this market is about.
    Last edited by cardfan; 03/03/2011 at 09:03 PM.
    With respect, i think there is a lot more than marketing going on. The iPad was successful, not so much because of Apple's vision for it, but because of what people decided it would be. I think SJ was as surprised as anyone that a third of iPad users adopted it as their main PC. That is not what Apple had in mind. The reason the ram turned out to be insufficient is that developers went in directions Apple never anticipated for this device.

With the iPad 2, Apple is just acknowledging what fans of the device already know. It IS a "real" computer. It is just not the PC model of computing that techies are used to. GarageBand and iMovie are Apple's announcement to the world that they are taking the iPad seriously. It is not just a tweener; it's the real deal. They have a tiger by the tail and are taking full advantage of it.

As for changing the rules, that's just good business. If you can't win the game you're competitors are controlling, change the game and make them play by your rules. There is a little more to it than that, though. This is about gazing into the crystal ball and determining what tomorrow will look like.

More to the point, it is about determining what tomorrow SHOULD look like. I am a fan of sci-fi. SF authors are visionaries. In a real sense, they create the future. They imagine what technologies will look like in tomorrow-land. Apple is a company that is in the position of defining the future. Others might disagree with Apple's definition, but very few are offering a better vision. Everyone else seems to be too busy trying to figure out how to make a buck today, to worry about how people will interact with technology tomorrow.

The people who are battling for second-place in the iPad wars have already lost. This is not about iPads; it's about the future. I see a future where this 27" monitor will be irrelevant. Who are the players that are making that happen? Google is definitely one of them. They are indexing the world. IBM is making technology intelligent, and Apple is making technology accessible to the masses.

What is MS doing for the future? In some ways, a post-PC world is a post-MS world. What of HP? instead of doing the important work for posterity, they are busy trying to be cool. Does Sony have a reason for existing these days, Moto, HTC? Is the only thing driving these companies, to live another day and sell another widget? Worthless!

It won't be long before the widget no longer matters. The experience is all that will remain. I am looking forward to that day, though that will leave a lot of widget makers bankrupt. I know, Apple also sells widgets. But only to a point. Apple doesn't really sell widgets; they sell experiences. The widgets are just the delivery system.
    First off... Apples head is way to big. I do believe that tablets one day will surpass pc's but not for a long time. The pc will always be around for cpu intensive applications so they will not go away. Hower everything now is going the way of mobility and information on the go and that's why tablets will prosper. Hp is on the right path buy building out a webos ecosystem of hardware such as printers phones tablets and pc's. The problem for hp is getting the developers attracted to the platform to get the apps webos needs to attract consumers.

Personally for me I will be getting a touchpad instead of the ipad because of the ui and the way webos handles multitasking. With the few apps I use (web, email, messaging) the touchpad works best for me. That being said having netflix would be nice.ac
    It's just amazing times we live in! Best engadget article since open letter to palm.

PC's are trucks and phones+tablets are cars. People use the web, email, and multimedia mostly. Just about everything else is covered by an app.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Apple is amazing at marketing.
    I've used a Mac since I was nine. However, I need my computer. Can't see myself living without it. If apple pushes the whole 'iPad is the future' thing without majorly expanding capabilities and removing limitations... my computer of the future may run Windows 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    But yet iTunes = tethered to PC. Until OTA updates and cloud sync are allowed on Apple, it's still a PC world.
    I have a feeling this little gem popping up in North Carolina will be key in helping completely untether iOS devices from the desktop:

AppleInsider | Apple says NC data center will support iTunes and MobileMe this spring
    Quote Originally Posted by misasi View Post
    First off... Apples head is way to big. I do believe that tablets one day will surpass pc's but not for a long time. The pc will always be around for cpu intensive applications so they will not go away. Hower everything now is going the way of mobility and information on the go and that's why tablets will prosper. Hp is on the right path buy building out a webos ecosystem of hardware such as printers phones tablets and pc's. The problem for hp is getting the developers attracted to the platform to get the apps webos needs to attract consumers.

Personally for me I will be getting a touchpad instead of the ipad because of the ui and the way webos handles multitasking. With the few apps I use (web, email, messaging) the touchpad works best for me. That being said having netflix would be nice.ac
    I don't think they're saying the desktop is dead or will be dead any time soon, but rather the focus is now on mobile by the general public. People want to be less attached to their desktop, in every way possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Apple is amazing at marketing.
    I've used a Mac since I was nine. However, I need my computer. Can't see myself living without it. If apple pushes the whole 'iPad is the future' thing without majorly expanding capabilities and removing limitations... my computer of the future may run Windows 7.
    I don't think you have to worry about that anytime soon. Apple is very committed to the Mac it is still a third of their revenue. I am running Lion, and I can tell you that eventhough it is buggy as a TouchPad demo, it is very cool. Already, I can't go back to Snow Leopard. But I definitely recognize the merging of the operating systems.

GarageBand and iMovie give us another glimpse into the future. Apple is not going to stop making powerful tools and powerful machines. In a few years, though, you will be able to run an optimized version of FCP on an iPad Pro. All you will need is an external monitor and perhaps a keyboard on your desk for occasional use, just like we use laptops today.

The software will merge in three years, IMO. The hardware may take a little longer, but it will follow soon after. The reason GB and iM are so important is that they show us what can happen when you re-imagine desktop apps for a touchscreen paradigm. The future is not dummied down; it is just more accessible.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    As for changing the rules, that's just good business. If you can't win the game you're competitors are controlling, change the game and make them play by your rules. There is a little more to it than that, though. This is about gazing into the crystal ball and determining what tomorrow will look like.

More to the point, it is about determining what tomorrow SHOULD look like. I am a fan of sci-fi. SF authors are visionaries. In a real sense, they create the future. They imagine what technologies will look like in tomorrow-land. Apple is a company that is in the position of defining the future. Others might disagree with Apple's definition, but very few are offering a better vision. Everyone else seems to be too busy trying to figure out how to make a buck today, to worry about how people will interact with technology tomorrow.
    That is marketing.

Let's imagine what Apple's marketing team could have done with Palm's webOS or HP's current version of it.

First, they wouldn't have waited 6 months to launch after the announcement.

They would have had videos and complete tutorials on their website.

They would have some apps developed by themselves to show off. Core apps in the OS would be fully polished.

They would have dismissed virtual kbs as being useful. This is key. Apple sets the rules.

Touchstones would be everywhere in their ads.

They would have given cards multitasking a cute name and promoted being able to pause a game while doing something else.

They would have made sure updates come directly from them and not bottlenecked through carriers.

They would make sure demos were set up in store that worked properly and stood out. No dummy devices.

They would sell the experience of using a Pre and market this effectively.

This list could go on and on...but i'm sure Apple could have been successful with it. Perhaps not as epic as with their own iOS, but good marketing is half the battle. Combining both good marketing plus solid products is just winning the whole battle. This is the combination (that only Apple has) that leads to record revenues and profits.

I'm not dismissing apple's iphone or other products at all. They're great, well ahead of any competition IMO, and I'm one of their iOS customers. But just as beautiful as Apple's ecosystem and products are, the business & marketing model is just as beautiful if not moreso. (I'm a business consultant, CPA, MBA, etc)

It's not enough that a company can put some hardware together along with a licensed OS or their own. That's just one tiny piece of the puzzle. To even hope to compete with Apple, you better have a complete ecosystem, platform, along with business savvy and marketing. This takes years to build. None of the competition comes close. It's not enough to simply hold an event. Jobs took everyone to school a few days ago on how to do one effectively.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    The cars / Trucks metaphor someone used is perfect. We're moving into a time where a full fledged desktop is for the power users or those that want the ability to be a power user.

The only thing keeping me owning a desktop at the moment, to be honest, is gaming and a big screen. And to be honest a xbox or PS3 could potentially cover that first portion in many ways. Plus I think as time goes on and these mobile things get more powerful you'll see bigger and better more full featured desktop-esque games happen. I honestly think there's a gold mine out there for a major software company who spent the resources that are necessary to create an honest to goodness desktop grade MMO that works on iOS and Android. With how dedicated MMO players are, the ability to play anywhere, any time, on a GOOD MMO would be amazing for them.

I think the Atrix gives us a little clue into the future. Give me something like an Ipad with a dock that has the same ports that say an iMAC has. Give me that ability to set it down and see it in a good resolution on a 20+" screen, with a keyboard and mouse, speakers, and external HD.
    I don't think the PC/Mac are dead yet, but the future of computing is mobile. HP knows this -- why else spend 1.2 billion dollars on palm? And the iPad is on top of this "post-pc" era.

Although I don't agree Apple is the only player in the post-pc market.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Although I don't agree Apple is the only player in the post-pc market.
    I think Apple is the only player right now because nobody else offers such a compelling top to bottom experience. Apple just hits you with one little detail after another.

One easy example is Garage Band. The same program exists on OS X but the iPad version just seems like how it's meant to be used. You can't get an app of this quality on Android or webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I think Apple is the only player right now because nobody else offers such a compelling top to bottom experience. Apple just hits you with one little detail after another.

One easy example is Garage Band. The same program exists on OS X but the iPad version just seems like how it's meant to be used. You can't get an app of this quality on Android or webOS.
    If that's what you consider a player to be, then yes Apple is the only player right now. But I consider anyone trying to create tablet devices bc they know its the future. That would be HP and Google. They are players -- or in the case of HP will be when touchpad is released. And I agree GB looks awesome on iPad 2
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    In many places in the third and second world, it's always been a post-pc world.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    If that's what you consider a player to be, then yes Apple is the only player right now. But I consider anyone trying to create tablet devices bc they know its the future. That would be HP and Google. They are players -- or in the case of HP will be when touchpad is released. And I agree GB looks awesome on iPad 2
    I think they're players in the sense that Brian Scalabrine is an NBA player. Yeah, he's there on the bench and he's some sort of option to go to but no franchise will ever go to him for anything more than foul fodder and garbage cleanup.

I think most of Apple's competitors in this space aren't even trying to compete with them in the areas that really count. Tablets are the most personal of devices and experience should be king.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast