Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    As a friend of mine recently said, and I quote her:
    Ever notice how Apple's content "wins" tend to be in industries that are flailing (music, print publishing)? TV and movies aren't there yet.
    Has Apple won something with print? I thought Apple's attempts to "help" print were floundering just as much as print media already was?

Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    What the world needs is a touchscreen 11" Air or similar.
    You mean like the HP TouchSmart tm2t ultra-light/tablet hybrid?

And it looks like they put out a new web coupon for it too: Get $300 Coupon HP TouchSmart tm2 and tm2t Core i5 Tablet Review and Deal - LogicBUY
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 03/07/2011 at 07:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    The real place that Apple is killing everyone in "post PC" is price.

I guess Job's intersection of Tech and Liberal Arts is rather dangerous for Chinese workers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    You mean like the HP TouchSmart tm2t ultra-light/tablet hybrid?
    Well, actually, I've never been much of a fan for HP's hardware...

I'm also not all that hyped on the whole swivel/rotating-screen-to-tablet solution. Much too bulky and fragile, IMO. I'd prefer something Air-sized with a regular hinge that just rotates all the way over, and maybe disables the keyboard while it's doing it.
    Something is bugging me now with what Apple says. The iPad can not be a post-PC device since you still need your PC to do common things. Try playing a flash game on the iPad. Will it work? Well, not on your iPad. I understand why Apple decides not to support flash -- but they do with their Mac. If they really believe their iPad is a better product without flash (they said flash makes Safari crash on their iMac more then anything else) then why not allow Flash anymore on their iMac? If it's really not that important it wouldn't matter, right?

The answer is Apple doesn't want to take away Flash, but don't want their iPad's and iPhones to be threatened with instability. But because of that choice, the iPad can not be a post-PC device because you still need a PC. Plus, if you want to get your music from your PC to your iPad you need to sync it with a cable. Although the iPad can still buy music from iTunes, there is no other way to "sync" your music. And if you have an iPhone you can't sync your iPhone using your iPad but must sync it from the PC. That means you still need a PC to support each device. Which means, once again, the iPad can not be a post-PC event.
    I don't think "post PC" and "PC replacement" are the same thing. For example, PCs are post mainframe and mini computer devices yet many large corporation still rely on mainframes for certain functions. Post PC is more about a different class of computing devices which come with a different set of rules and ramifications.

Needing to connect to a PC for certain things is OK. There will also be lots of overlaps between PC and Post PC devices. While I'm personally looking forward to PC replacements, we are not there yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    then why not allow Flash anymore on their iMac? If it's really not that important it wouldn't matter, right?

The answer is Apple doesn't want to take away Flash, but don't want their iPad's and iPhones to be threatened with instability.
    There is a big difference in the power requirements of a mobile device, vs. a plugged in desktop. Poorly running, energy consuming flash on my desktop is simply annoying. The same on a mobile device cripples it (burns through the battery).
    @ taharka
    That is possible thats what they meant, but I took it a different way. Maybe Apple should explain what they mean by post'PC event, but I doubt they will.

Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    There is a big difference in the power requirements of a mobile device, vs. a plugged in desktop. Poorly running, energy consuming flash on my desktop is simply annoying. The same on a mobile device cripples it (burns through the battery).
    Flash running on a mobile device can happen and happen well on other devices. I actually like the way it runs on WebOS 2.0. It does not load unless you tell it to. And on a tablet with 10 hours of battery life, I am sure that wont be a problem with the iPad.
    @ taharka
    Flash running on a mobile device can happen and happen well on other devices. I actually like the way it runs on WebOS 2.0. It does not load unless you tell it to. And on a tablet with 10 hours of battery life, I am sure that wont be a problem with the iPad.
    Flash on a laptop cuts the battery life by more than half, I'm sure it'd do the equivalent, if not worse, on a tablet.
    Does it really? I would never know cuz I keep my laptop in. But that does not change the fact Apple continues to support flash on a MacBook Pro where it cuts the battery life down in half (I assume this is continus use) and don't with their iPad.
    Does it really? I would never know cuz I keep my laptop in. But that does not change the fact Apple continues to support flash on a MacBook Pro where it cuts the battery life down in half (I assume this is continus use) and don't with their iPad.
    Resources and performance are probably issues. There are reasons why it's been delayed on the Xoom and was delayed for so long on webOS (and many claim it's terrible on webOS, but I can't back this up as I haven't personally experienced it on webOS).

I know when I tried it on Android it just wasn't worth it. But that was ~6-8 months ago.

Most video content is now formatted for non-Flash, so it really has become a non-issue, most continue to think it is for some reason. They continue to perpetuate the idea of flash being needed, that you're missing so much without it. You're not.

The difference between not running flash on your desktop vs say an iPad, sites expect you to have flash installed on the desktop and don't content adapt. With mobile devices, they do.
    Well, Apple doesn't ship MacBooks with Flash. They just don't do anything to prevent Adobe from releasing Flash on Macs because OS X is a more open development environment.

The battery hit really is that bad, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Well, Apple doesn't ship MacBooks with Flash. They just don't do anything to prevent Adobe from releasing Flash on Macs because OS X is a more open development environment.

The battery hit really is that bad, though.
    Thats actually very true. I forgot about that. I haven't bought a new computer in so long I forgot Apple stopped auto loading Flash. But it's stil supported.

If you're a web developer you'd better understand, but since you're not I don't expect you to.
    I actually do understand what your saying, as I use to be a web developer when I was younger (couldn't keep up with evolving code and don't have time anymore). However, my point (I think) still stands: you can't call something a post-PC device if you still need a PC. Unless it's not a post-PC device like tek was trying to say. And Flash is just one aspect of that equation. You can't sync with your iPhone or iPods (unless you use your PC/Mac) and you cant (yet) edit photos with photoshop and I am sure there are many things that people still need PC's for. Some are more valid then others, however (the photoshop thing is a very minor point and that will be changing soon with iPad 2 and TouchPad being both very powerful devices.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Well, looks like Adobe is bringing out an Flash to HTML 5 converter.

Adobe Gives In To Apple, Releases Flash-to-HTML Converter

Glad to see Adobe doing their part to banish Flash from existence.
    I am actually happy to see that as well.
    I actually do understand what your saying, as I use to be a web developer when I was younger (couldn't keep up with evolving code and don't have time anymore). However, my point (I think) still stands: you can't call something a post-PC device if you still need a PC. Unless it's not a post-PC device like tek was trying to say. And Flash is just one aspect of that equation. You can't sync with your iPhone or iPods (unless you use your PC/Mac) and you cant (yet) edit photos with photoshop and I am sure there are many things that people still need PC's for. Some are more valid then others, however (the photoshop thing is a very minor point and that will be changing soon with iPad 2 and TouchPad being both very powerful devices.
    Personally, I think there's a distinct difference between the claim of post-PC and PC replacement.

I haven't been following this whole post-PC thing too closely, but from my understanding, the context in which it was used in Apple's iPad 2 unveiling was they're classifying the iPod, iPhone and iPad as post-PC devices. How you interpret that and what exactly they mean, who knows?

Maybe Steve means they're devices that move ones primary usage away from the PC, rather than entirely eliminating it.
    Personally, I think there's a distinct difference between the claim of post-PC and PC replacement.

I haven't been following this whole post-PC thing too closely, but from my understanding, the context in which it was used in Apple's iPad 2 unveiling was they're classifying the iPod, iPhone and iPad as post-PC devices. How you interpret that and what exactly they mean, who knows?

Maybe Steve means they're devices that move ones primary usage away from the PC, rather than entirely eliminating it.
    And that was tek's point: what I took post-PC to mean is not what they meant. But when you think post WWII or post-anything it means after said topic is over. But who knows?
    Yeah, I'm with astraith on the strict definition of what post-PC is -- it should mean something that supercedes the PC form factor, and the iPad definitely isn't that yet.

I agree with it being some sort of transitional period. I know I use a PC less and less these days because my iPad and iPhone can duplicate so much of its functionality in a more convenient form factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Yeah, I'm with astraith on the strict definition of what post-PC is -- it should mean something that supercedes the PC form factor, and the iPad definitely isn't that yet.

I agree with it being some sort of transitional period. I know I use a PC less and less these days because my iPad and iPhone can duplicate so much of its functionality in a more convenient form factor.
    Exactly. And your exactly right that the iPad 2 is the first to transition from using PC's to just tablets. I think Apple knows this, thats why they are using touch more in their computers. I also believe HP understands this -- which is why I think they are doing good with their TouchPad (but I know thats to be debated). But the key for Apple is to move the iPad away from being part of the iPhone family (it shouldn't be a "large iPhone") and more part of the notebook family. And it should be able to sync -- via the cloud -- to their iPhones and iPods. Who knows, they might be doing that right now.

Anyway ... glad someone agrees with me!
    Exactly. And your exactly right that the iPad 2 is the first to transition from using PC's to just tablets. I think Apple knows this, thats why they are using touch more in their computers. I also believe HP understands this -- which is why I think they are doing good with their TouchPad (but I know thats to be debated). But the key for Apple is to move the iPad away from being part of the iPhone family (it shouldn't be a "large iPhone") and more part of the notebook family. And it should be able to sync -- via the cloud -- to their iPhones and iPods. Who knows, they might be doing that right now.

Anyway ... glad someone agrees with me!
    I agree with you as well, in a sense. On the same token, I don't think the iPad, iPhone or any other i device is as tethered to the PC as many like to make it out to be.

After that initial connection to the PC to activate, you never have to connect it to a PC again, unless you want to sync or update, but for any other reason you simply don't have to if you don't want to.

I know many are waiting for that complete disconnect, but is it really necessary? Is it even possible on the level many demonstrate it needs to be right now?

Like I said above though, I don't think Apple meant post-PC in place of sans PC.
    I agree with you as well, in a sense. On the same token, I don't think the iPad, iPhone or any other i device is as tethered to the PC as many like to make it out to be.

After that initial connection to the PC to activate, you never have to connect it to a PC again, unless you want to sync or update, but for any other reason you simply don't have to if you don't want to.

I know many are waiting for that complete disconnect, but is it really necessary? Is it even possible on the level many demonstrate it needs to be right now?

Like I said above though, I don't think Apple meant post-PC in place of sans PC.
    Now that I can agree with. It's possible never to have to re-sync your iPhone, depending on how you want to get your music. So i can see that point!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234