Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    But yet iTunes = tethered to PC. Until OTA updates and cloud sync are allowed on Apple, it's still a PC world.
    so true
    I'll believe it's a "post-PC" world when Apple stops requiring PC's to activate all their products.

As for me, it won't be a post-PC world until I can do everything I do on a PC on some other device. A 1.2GHz dual-core device with 1GB RAM will not be replacing my PC any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    that's hp's plan with webos and their planned synergy with webos in other devices... they see apples direction and are trying to head them off... except you cant head them off if you are about 1000 miles behind them and they dont have their ecosystem installed in almost all PCs out there like apple does with the itunes.
    iTunes the concept is working great for Apple. However, iTunes as an ecosystem is ridiculous. HP has made their vision for webOS clear: that they want webOS itself to be the ecosystem. Not some third-party program that you have to set up when you buy any new device, not even the device itself, but the OS. Touch-To-Share between the new phones and the TouchPad is the first step. HP will put webOS on PCs, notebooks, laptops, any computing device currently used by consumers. Where you had to install an "ecosystem" on your PC, the PC will be part of an ecosystem by default with HP. A large majority of "almost all PCs" are sold by HP after all.

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    What does that even mean? Unless you build a product yourself, you're not really 'controlling' the experience delivered.
    The fact that he gets to choose what to buy is much more control than you could ever get with Apple. There's a reason why "hackintosh" exists: you can't really control what hardware you want to run OS X on. If you don't like the design of MacBook or iMac, you're out of luck (unless you go the hackintosh route).
    Last edited by rsanchez1; 03/05/2011 at 10:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I have a feeling this little gem popping up in North Carolina will be key in helping completely untether iOS devices from the desktop:

AppleInsider | Apple says NC data center will support iTunes and MobileMe this spring
    And this from the article is also important, IMO: "It was also said that Apple has considered making MobileMe, which currently costs $99 per year, a free service."

I used MobileMe for 1 year & it simply amazed me how many people are willing to pay $99/year for it. Maybe not enough or maybe they feel they can expand their market share by making it free.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The Smart Covers video, the garageband demo, ..both of these show that Apple gets it. This was the meat of the event. The specs were just the short appetizer. All peppered throughout was Jobs redefining what this market is about.
    I have had a MacBook Pro & an iMac for years. I have never used GarageBand & probably never will. Demo was cool, but I guess what speaks to some doesn't speak to others.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    GarageBand and iMovie give us another glimpse into the future.

Not sure what you mean. They upgrade the software every year, but these aren't new features. Have had them on my iMac & MacBookPro for years. Have they made a leap in the software that make this "the future?"
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I regularly plan media budgets (for a living) and in allocating resources, my stakeholders and I all agree this:

Mobile is the new desktop, Twitter is the new mobile. And the desktop is dead.

(In "twitter" insert you favorite, up to date social media tool)
    Cept for hardcore or MMORPG gamers. Is there money to be made in World of Warcraft?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Not sure what you mean. They upgrade the software every year, but these aren't new features. Have had them on my iMac & MacBookPro for years. Have they made a leap in the software that make this "the future?"
    It's a glimpse of how well made a music app can be. It's a portable touch controlled garageband, pretty new if you ask me.

Yes, they introduced the best mobile movie editing experience to date. Definitely a look into the not so distant future. (March 11th)

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    What does that even mean? Unless you build a product yourself, you're not really 'controlling' the experience delivered.
    So you're ok with Apple being the gatekeeper for what software the owners of those devices are allowed to use?
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    So you're ok with Apple being the gatekeeper for what software the owners of those devices are allowed to use?
    I think the issue is more like if you're not okay with it, don't buy their products.

If you buy them, you are accepting that.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I think the issue is more like if you're not okay with it, don't buy their products.

If you buy them, you are accepting that.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Which is fine, that's their choice.

But then we have people championing them on these boards, wanting HP to try to be the same as Apple.

IMO if I wanted something the "same" as Apple I'd just go buy FROM Apple...
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Ultimately, the only gatekeeper are the developers. What is it exactly you're losing control over? The idea of something, or the practicality?
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    It's a glimpse of how well made a music app can be. It's a portable touch controlled garageband, pretty new if you ask me.
    I just don't think this is as earth shattering as some are making it out to be. It was cool on the demo, but I had dinner tonight w/4 Apple users, 2 very much in to music (one plays 3 instruments, the other 2, and they both sing) & they have NEVER used GarageBand.

They thought it was cool it would be more portable being available on the iPad, but neither had any intentions of using it.

IMO, it isn't a game changer unless tons of people use it. Again, I think the app looked cool, but it doesn't mean the hordes will be using it.
    Last edited by Mike5; 03/06/2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: spelling
    Ultimately, the only gatekeeper are the developers. What is it exactly you're losing control over? The idea of something, or the practicality?
    No, the gatekeeper (on iOS devices) is Apple. Developers are at Apple's mercy. Apple decides whether or not developers make it, and Apple makes it difficult to get around the App Store by making it difficult to "jailbreak", breaking the process on each OS update.

Another example of developers being "gatekeepers", let's look at webOS. There are many, many Twitter apps out there. So, you have control over your Twitter experience. If you don't like how one developer does it, you can switch to a new app. There are several examples of this, so I don't really see why you would say developers are the "gatekeepers".
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    No, the gatekeeper (on iOS devices) is Apple. Developers are at Apple's mercy. Apple decides whether or not developers make it, and Apple makes it difficult to get around the App Store by making it difficult to "jailbreak", breaking the process on each OS update.

Another example of developers being "gatekeepers", let's look at webOS. There are many, many Twitter apps out there. So, you have control over your Twitter experience. If you don't like how one developer does it, you can switch to a new app. There are several examples of this, so I don't really see why you would say developers are the "gatekeepers".
    Wouldn't it be more accurate to say developers can decide whether or not they want to pass through Apple's gates? The App Store rules aren't a mystery and developers can decide if they want to abide by them or not before writing a single line of code.

As for the Twitter example, doesn't the same situation applies for the App Store?

Actually, Apple and every other app-market-having-company is at the mercy of the developers. Which platform have the developers chosen to develop for and which has been most successful for developers?

You're at the mercy of what developers create, not the other way around.

If there's something you feel you're not getting because of Apple or whatever other reason, then feel free to develop it yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    ...we have people championing them on these boards, wanting HP to try to be the same as Apple.

IMO if I wanted something the "same" as Apple I'd just go buy FROM Apple...
    I thought it was HP that said they wanted people to see them in the same light as Apple.
    Post PC world? It's ironic that they said all this and the first thing you need to do to use an iPod, iPhone, or iPad is...

Connect it to a PC!

Until that step is removed, it will never be a post PC world.
    Actually, Apple and every other app-market-having-company is at the mercy of the developers. Which platform have the developers chosen to develop for and which has been most successful for developers?

You're at the mercy of what developers create, not the other way around.

If there's something you feel you're not getting because of Apple or whatever other reason, then feel free to develop it yourself.
    Maybe at the beginning that's how it was, but recent developments show that Apple calls the shots now. The 30% "tax" Apple is imposing on subscription services would have been unthinkable when the App Store launched, but now that the App Store is the biggest money maker in mobile, Apple has the power to determine who "lives" and who "dies".

I bet Sony also thought that Apple was at the mercy of their decisions until Apple decided to pull Sony's ebook app to finally enforce App Store rules.

And the last little line, that's easy for a developer to say, but believe it or not, not everyone can develop apps.

Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I thought it was HP that said they wanted people to see them in the same light as Apple.
    Not in the same light as Apple exactly, HP just wants people to see them as the "cool" company.
    Maybe at the beginning that's how it was, but recent developments show that Apple calls the shots now. The 30% "tax" Apple is imposing on subscription services would have been unthinkable when the App Store launched, but now that the App Store is the biggest money maker in mobile, Apple has the power to determine who "lives" and who "dies".

I bet Sony also thought that Apple was at the mercy of their decisions until Apple decided to pull Sony's ebook app to finally enforce App Store rules.

And the last little line, that's easy for a developer to say, but believe it or not, not everyone can develop apps.

Not in the same light as Apple exactly, HP just wants people to see them as the "cool" company.
    As a friend of mine recently said, and I quote her:

Ever notice how Apple's content "wins" tend to be in industries that are flailing (music, print publishing)? TV and movies aren't there yet.
    There's a huge difference between post-desktop and post-PC. This is just Apple working bottom-up since top-down hasn't worked out.

What the world needs is a touchscreen 11" Air or similar.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast