Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think Apple finally managed to do what others have been trying to do for a while, popularize Internet appliances.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    What do you think?

Engadget
    were-all-just-living/#disqus_thread
    Apple is not saying anything new to anyone in marketing.

Essentially, what they are saying is:
    1. Normal people buy an experience, not specs (in marketing-speak, it's benefits, not features). - NOT NEW
    2. PCs are a mature market and base functionality is good enough that spec bumps are not much of a marginal benefit (e.g. think from v6 to v8 for city driving)

There is nothing revolutionary about that statement. It's also not new that Apple has focused on user experience more the PCs and that they have the rep of making their stuff *****-proof. It is exactly that *****-proofness that has turned off those who prefer the build-your-own PC approach.

What all this means is Apple is likely to be more successful with mass market products just as Sony was in the 80s (e.g. Walkman). As a category matures, it attracts the masses and then *****-proofing is more important because the masses can't be bothered with things that are unintuitive and have a learning curve. Hell, we can even read an instruction manual.

Apple doesn't have a lock on this by the way. Others have mentioned Apple's user experience deficiencies in the name of DRM and control (e.g. iTunes and uniform connectors). Others have also mentioned that webOS and others have great ideas on multitasking, integrated PIM across accounts, etc.

Apple does have the right bias to attack the consumer market and to the extent that the HPs, RIMs and Motorolas want to win on that playground they will need to shed old mindsets at each of those companies. Remember the history and focus of each company. Motorola did a great job straddling that line with the Droids and webOS does a pretty good job too. There is however, much room for improvement all around.

Apple is right that consumers are interacting with phones and tablets for purposes once relegated to PCs and if others think they have PCs wrapped in a different form, they will miss it. I don't think they're that stupid. However the following quote summarizes the challenge.

"It's not about the specs. It's about user experience. It's about the way we use the device and how the device fits itself to the way we want to use it. [the Xoom] is what you get when you let engineers build something without designers and artists cracking the whip and instilling fear into them. Apple's engineers and designers understand touch. They design touch. Touch is not just about sticking a capacitive screen on a computer. It's about designing a different way for users to interact from the ground up. Specs support that design. They don't define it."
    People who truly understand how humans think and interact with their environment are worth their weight in gold for companies trying to sell to the masses particularly when there are well capitalized competitors.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    There is nothing revolutionary about that statement. It's also not new that Apple has focused on user experience more the PCs and that they have the rep of making their stuff *****-proof. It is exactly that *****-proofness that has turned off those who prefer the build-your-own PC approach.
    The key here is the DIY hobbyists are a dying breed. I used to build my own rigs, too, but I don't see the point anymore - that's time that could be spent on other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The key here is the DIY hobbyists are a dying breed. I used to build my own rigs, too, but I don't see the point anymore - that's time that could be spent on other things.
    What other things? Today from parts to boot takes maybe an hour at most and that's if you're doing meticulous component testing. The only thing that would take a real time commitment is if you wanted to do a true custom job where you had to actually tool the case.
    on one level, as the generic onsumer who essentally just surfs and listens to or watches his media, having left his framerate chasing, high end PC building days years ago, I thought it was a letter from Captain Obvious to the editor of Dead People Who Care Quarterly.

on the flip side, I'm an engineer who routinely uses CAD software and specialized enginnering software, including some vintage 16-bit stuff. PCs can't die.

also, the IT world ( not the small shop, 3 laptops and a usb HD IT world) will resist this like the Pole's in 1939.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    What other things? Today from parts to boot takes maybe an hour at most and that's if you're doing meticulous component testing. The only thing that would take a real time commitment is if you wanted to do a true custom job where you had to actually tool the case.
    There's also stuff like speccing out parts, overclocking, and messing around with beta drivers, but that might be the gamer in me talking.
    There's also stuff like speccing out parts, overclocking, and messing around with beta drivers, but that might be the gamer in me talking.
    You mean stuff you'd want to do even if you're getting a "professionally" built system?
    You mean stuff you'd want to do even if you're getting a "professionally" built system?
    Well, no. I haven't done any of that in years.
    pc's arent' going anywhere but when it comes to products apple selling an completee experience and the other guys are just selling a phone with an organizer or a keyboard less notebook.
    The experience still includes iTunes tethering for even activation. I'll say it again, unless the iTunes tethering requirement is dropped, we're done here. Unless it's getting dropped with iOS 5.0!

I still like PC sync for some things. But before anyone(that means anyone, not just Apple) goes talking PC-less, please get rid of it's necessity first.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The Apple new world order will fall apart as soon as SJ is no longer running Apple. No one spins the RDF like SJ, and there is a rumor going around that their lead designer Ives wants to work from the UK and they are giving him grief. SJ is Apple and Forestall, Cook do not have the same Disney effect as SJ. PCs ain't going bye bye anytime soon.
    We're also reaching the point to where, economically, it doesn't make much sense to build your own machine. I know many will argue that, quality pre-built machines are much more affordable today than what they were 5-10 years ago.
    Read the Engadget article, then take a look at Phils' presentation:

Lots of similarities in thinking...?
    I think Apple finally managed to do what others have been trying to do for a while, popularize Internet appliances.
    True. But I can do without the highly Apple controlled 'experience'.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    True. But I can do without the highly Apple controlled 'experience'.
    What does that even mean? Unless you build a product yourself, you're not really 'controlling' the experience delivered.
    well, there are many stories currently that talk about itunes going cloud and their new data center in carolina is almost ready to go... so you just may get your wish. itunes app... wireless (wifi/3g) registration to itunes... that's it.

iTunes could get cloud-based backup solution

there current attempt to allow multiple d/l of music... just one more piece in that puzzle...

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news...Cloud+Play.htm

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The experience still includes iTunes tethering for even activation. I'll say it again, unless the iTunes tethering requirement is dropped, we're done here. Unless it's getting dropped with iOS 5.0!

I still like PC sync for some things. But before anyone(that means anyone, not just Apple) goes talking PC-less, please get rid of it's necessity first.
    that "going cloud" sounds more like a feature addition than anything related to divorcing istuff from itunes.
    -beta testing WebOS since June 2009.
    oh, it's part of a bigger picture...

windows was a necessity in the beginning to get itunes out to the world... like a virus. if microsoft really knew what itunes was going to become, they would have snuffed it out like they tried with browsers and it would only be in macs and be a relative unknown and not sure if all their products would have been so popular as they are now... ipods, iphones and now ipads?

but with the datacenter in place to store all your music and apps and whatever, you dont need to have itunes on windows. apps will keep getting more powerful that they will be able to replace desktop software and tablets more advanced that one day, peoples first computer purchase will not be a PC but a TABLET... and very well could be an ipad. and when that happens, windows system will not be the first choice. look at the mac's new appstore... they are moving their PC OS to that direction too.

even now... right now pc's are not the first computers kids are introduced to now. i go to my daughters elementary and it's all macs in every grade. they do their work and take it home on jump drive i find her work is done in appleworks and she expected my windows7 machine to work with it and she's shocked it didnt.

that's hp's plan with webos and their planned synergy with webos in other devices... they see apples direction and are trying to head them off... except you cant head them off if you are about 1000 miles behind them and they dont have their ecosystem installed in almost all PCs out there like apple does with the itunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurgling View Post
    that "going cloud" sounds more like a feature addition than anything related to divorcing istuff from itunes.
    Last edited by donm527; 03/05/2011 at 06:14 PM.
    cute concept. If this cloud data storage had anything to do with not havig to activate through itunes, or not having to control your cloud data account through itunes, or the possibility of the shift to OTA updates, Apple would have said ti clearly. Don't forget they have a lot of legal issues to wrangle with music & other media already sold and how it can be handled. Sure, maybe someday....but we'll see TouchPad 2 sooner.
    -beta testing WebOS since June 2009.
    issues handled with money that's probably why apple... which is not known to get into politics... has recently lobbied very heavily in getting that tax holiday pushed through so that american companies can bring back an estimated trillion dollars overseas. apple brings money back... and imagine its a large enough amount to warrant all the lobbying, it wont be to create new jobs... it will be to make major purchases.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast