Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love WebOS. have been using a pre plus for over a year. Love multitasking and all. Now I have a new job and my tablet and phone bills are business expenses now. This is really not a thread about how I love Apple and hate H/P. This really is about me trying to figure next two years of technology I and my family would use.

I am actually anti-Apple. Have held away from them for so long, used centro and pre plus instead. I was so looking for Feb announcement from H/P, but it was kind of downer for me. I dont like how Apple controls everything on there device and dont like iTunes either. If I buy music, I go to Amazon.

But Apple keep releasing these awesome hardware, coupled with unreachable software apps, that makes me wonder if I should join the masses and buy Apple.

I have heard Apple is very good in integrating everything Apple. Like iPhone apps are shared with IPAD. One can start music on iPhone and keep it going on IPAD. One can simply send a video from iPhone to Apple TV. Plus send things wirelessly from IPhone to IPad. I have great reviews about Airplay and Airdrop and wireless printing. I have with Apple Airport, one can share any music in the house on all Apple devices.

This just makes me wonder, if I should get IPhone and IPAD instead of PRE-3 and TP. A-5 will be in iPhone-5 for sure, that means a first really good dual core phone. Though Dual core is lost on Apple as they dont multi task. I have a feeling by the time, H/P makes something comparable to IPAD-2, IPAD-3 will be out.

Dont know, what I should do, with this business expense I dont pay anything if I buy Apple and IPAD or TP. Should I invest in Apple and maybe come back in a year or two when Enyo is fully baked? or Should I just buy Apple and maybe Jailbreak, if I am not happy with lack of multi tasking.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    The TouchPAd is comparable to the iPad 2. Why are you saying it's not comparable?
    The lack of multitasking is a myth. Get the Apple products if they meet your needs/wants. It sounds like you are convinced the experience will be much better in the Apple ecosystem, so what's stopping you?
    I have no idea why you are saying lack of multi tasking? There's multitasking in iOS, it's just different. If you really want card multitask, you just need to jailbreak it, and you will have similar type of card multitask as well. It's very stable. Or just default iOS multitasking, double click on home button, you will have icon shows up. Despite what other webOS people are saying, Android and iOS multitasking is more than enough for any kind of mobile experience. They are just different!

2 years ago, we were saying, we have multitasking. Now I have noticed that we are saying, we have true multitasking. Rather it's true or not, as long as if I can run my apps and without reopening between the apps, then I am fine with it. Card view, or icon or whatever.
    its hard to say at this point since we dont have the touchpad, ipad2, iphone5 or pre3 in our grubby mits yet. all we have are announcments and the commentary of tech bloggers

I am waiting untill my sprint contract is up in june to start making decisions, at that point i can at least handle the final hardware of some of these devices.

HP is supposedly going for integration and ecosystems. they make enough products that they could pull it off.

what i would recommend to you is not buying a product, until it is out. IE don't fall for the specs and hype, try it and see.

you already like webOS, you know that well enough, apple is very functional, but IMHO not more of an evolution of the old palmOS in the UI department, not a revolution like webOS.

if you can borrow a friends ipod touch for a while, see how you like it, or perhaps buy one, I think the ipod touch is a fantastic device, bought one for the wife years back, it gathers dust now because everything she used it for her pre does, but it still gets use when we want say netflix or slingbox on the go, you can find out how important all those apps are to you that way.

as far as ecosystem, it will be important for me to see how HP does this, apple is a big offender in the proprietary front, HP is all about open standards in the past, but as we know some things, like touch to share, will be proprietary as well.

sorry if this is rambling but my advice is, as usual in tech, if you can wait, do it.

and never make a decision with at least half the products you are considering actually on the market.
    Last edited by windzilla; 03/03/2011 at 09:25 AM.
    There are four lights.
  6.    #6  
    Can I copy things from Google maps in iOS to paste them in my text messaging?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    First question would be, when are you wanting to purchase this new stuff? If you'd like/need it soon, then the obvious choice is an iPad2 with an iPhone4. They're available now, we have no clue for sure when the Pre3 and TouchPad will be available.

Second question would be, what do you need/want it for? Are you actually interested in the ecosystem nature where your various devices have information flowing to and from them natively? Or is that not a big perk for you? How important is active multi-tasking like WebOS has? How important is a vast app catalog and the likilihood of apps coming out on your platform to you?

The problem with Windz suggestion about making a consideration without actually waiting on the things you want to be on the market is that you can be put in a perpetural wait. By the time the TouchPad launches we'll not be much farther out from the iPad3 then we were to the TouchPad from the iPad2's launch. How soon you want something is a factor in these kind of decisions.
    I have a MacPro for a desk top. I have a MacBook Air for my traveling laptop. I have an older MacBook 17" pro for home. I have a iPad2 on order for my traveling and everyday use.

The fact I have a Pre+ for a phone is an anomaly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The problem with Windz suggestion about making a consideration without actually waiting on the things you want to be on the market is that you can be put in a perpetural wait. By the time the TouchPad launches we'll not be much farther out from the iPad3 then we were to the TouchPad from the iPad2's launch. How soon you want something is a factor in these kind of decisions.

I'm not saying to go into perpetual grass is greener mode, I'm saying set yourself a nice date or timeframe, and make your decision when at least some of those devices are actually available to hold in your hand.

for example, I will make new device decisions in the month and a half after my sprint contract is up, do my homework try some devices and then buy me a smartphone. if HP cant get a pre3 out there for me to play with, then they won't be in the running,

I do have to use the device, spec sheets and gadget lust wont make phone calls.
    There are four lights.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    I have a MacPro for a desk top. I have a MacBook Air for my traveling laptop. I have an older MacBook 17" pro for home. I have a iPad2 on order for my traveling and everyday use.

The fact I have a Pre+ for a phone is an anomaly.
    So do you think Apple products are interconnected? or do you think webOS blows iOS out in interconnecting its devices?
    When TouchPad is available sometime in summer, you still need to wait atleast 6 months before you will see any kind of good apps available. Even then, it's not guarantee that you will see an apps that you really need. It's your money. If you can throw away nice $500+ for some web Browser and email, buy touchpad. But if you buy iPad2, you know what you are going to get for sure. it's good chance that you will find that apps that really understand why you need a tablet instead of laptop.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    So do you think Apple products are interconnected? or do you think webOS blows iOS out in interconnecting its devices?
    Blows as in present tense? Not close.

The potential to do it? Yes. POTENTIALLY WebOS could be leveraged to be extremely interconnected amongst its devices. However, that potential is extremely far from being realized.

Right now, Apple and iOS greatly outpaces HP and WebOS in regards to device interconnectivity and its likely to be that way for at least the next year. Perhaps HP can put together a way to compete against that, but it'll take time to build up to that same ecosystem Apple's created.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    When TouchPad is available sometime in summer, you still need to wait atleast 6 months before you will see any kind of good apps available. Even then, it's not guarantee that you will see an apps that you really need.
    This is the killer for me - let's say the life of your tablet is 2 years, you are suppose to wait at least six months to see if any decent apps arrive?

I'd say buy the Ipad2 and come back in a year or two and see if HP have managed to get developer support and the platform is going anywhere. At worst, if it takes off quicker than expected, you will only have to wait it out on a well-supported platform. If you pick a WebOS tablet and it doesn't take off, you are left standing around in shopping centres proselytizing about "the one true multi-tasking" to non-believers.
    Last edited by CGK; 03/03/2011 at 10:24 AM.
    I love WebOS. have been using a pre plus for over a year. Love multitasking and all. Now I have a new job and my tablet and phone bills are business expenses now. This is really not a thread about how I love Apple and hate H/P. This really is about me trying to figure next two years of technology I and my family would use.

I am actually anti-Apple. Have held away from them for so long, used centro and pre plus instead. I was so looking for Feb announcement from H/P, but it was kind of downer for me. I dont like how Apple controls everything on there device and dont like iTunes either. If I buy music, I go to Amazon.

But Apple keep releasing these awesome hardware, coupled with unreachable software apps, that makes me wonder if I should join the masses and buy Apple.

I have heard Apple is very good in integrating everything Apple. Like iPhone apps are shared with IPAD. One can start music on iPhone and keep it going on IPAD. One can simply send a video from iPhone to Apple TV. Plus send things wirelessly from IPhone to IPad. I have great reviews about Airplay and Airdrop and wireless printing. I have with Apple Airport, one can share any music in the house on all Apple devices.

This just makes me wonder, if I should get IPhone and IPAD instead of PRE-3 and TP. A-5 will be in iPhone-5 for sure, that means a first really good dual core phone. Though Dual core is lost on Apple as they dont multi task. I have a feeling by the time, H/P makes something comparable to IPAD-2, IPAD-3 will be out.

Dont know, what I should do, with this business expense I dont pay anything if I buy Apple and IPAD or TP. Should I invest in Apple and maybe come back in a year or two when Enyo is fully baked? or Should I just buy Apple and maybe Jailbreak, if I am not happy with lack of multi tasking.
    I'm not certain how your phone and tablet bills are business expenses now. What tablet you using now? I see it as more of an entertainment device.

Anyways, i'd go with something you can use today. HP needs time. Give em a year or so. They said 10-12 months sometime back so i'm not sure why people act so surprised by the wait. They did announce way too early IMO. If you don't like iOS, then you'll have more options later. No regrets here since i fully switched to iOS after the Sprint/Palm ordeal (abandonment?). I wouldn't advise a round two of sprint and HP.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'm not certain how your phone and tablet bills are business expenses now. What tablet you using now? I see it as more of an entertainment device.

Anyways, i'd go with something you can use today. HP needs time. Give em a year or so. They said 10-12 months sometime back so i'm not sure why people act so surprised by the wait. They did announce way too early IMO. If you don't like iOS, then you'll have more options later. No regrets here since i fully switched to iOS after the Sprint/Palm ordeal (abandonment?). I wouldn't advise a round two of sprint and HP.
    Since I use my phone for work and keep it for emergencies, it's monthly bill and the cost of equipment is re-imbursed to me. Same for tablet, I am allowed to buy a PC/tablet once every 2-3 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

Currently TouchPad maybe an entertainment device. But ipad isn't. They have tons of apps that can help you with your business. For example, I was in the coffee shop in one saturday afternoon. I got an emergency meeting setup. So we are using webEx conference. so I connected to ipad webEx. And I switched over to office app, and edited out one of the excel spreadsheet, and emailed it out to everyone in the meeting.

If it wasn't for iPad, I had to carry around my laptop and power cord, iPad just make my life much easier.

I go to the meeting with my iPad instead of my laptop. I have all the apps that I need for my work and my personal use. Ipad has all the apps that I need.

I had my ipad for like 6 months now. And I don't reget spended $500 on it. And if I really want it, I can still sell it for good amount of money, Apple has one of the best resell value.
  17.    #17  
    One thing that people mention repeatedly is notifications. Whenever a text message comes in, it disrupts what ever you are doing, what does that mean? Does it mean, lets say I am composing an e-mail and a text comes, and I check my text, do I lose what ever I typed on my e-mail?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    One thing that people mention repeatedly is notifications. Whenever a text message comes in, it disrupts what ever you are doing, what does that mean? Does it mean, lets say I am composing an e-mail and a text comes, and I check my text, do I lose what ever I typed on my e-mail?
    When a notification comes in a box appears on your screen alerting you of it. At that time you can't do anything but acknowledge the notification or dismiss it. If you dismiss it, the notification is gone but not what it was about. For example, if it was a text message if you dismiss it the text message is still there but you've gotten rid of the reminder.

As to whether or not what you were typing would go away or not, I'm not sure with the newer versions of iOS. I believe your words would be saved in your message you were writing and you'd be able to go back and start there after answering the text message.

The difference as I understand it between WebOS notifications and iOS...

WebOS:
    1. Resizes your screen to show it, allowing you to keep using the device
    2. You can either acknowledge the notification taking you to the new app, minimize it to look at it again later, or swipe it away for good.

iOS:
    1. Puts a block on your screen that has to be responded to before you can continue what yo uwere doing
    2. Either can be acknowledged and you go to that app or rejected with the notification going away.
    The waiting to see what touchpad does would be because Op says he doesn't like itunes or the closed Apple system.
    I have a mac and use airport express daily to connect to the stereo but don't buy most of my music from itunes.
    At any rate, with the pace of innovation being so rapid, I am thinking to sign 1 year contracts in the nearterm, not 2 year ones.
    you won't lose your email when you got the notification. Just like windows, while I am typing on my email, and my meeting schedule windows popped up and remind me that I have a meeting in 15 min. just hit dismiss and continue on your work. people are conplaining because it's irritating. Yes, it does irritate a little but I am sure next iOS version will have better notification implement, didn't they hired someone who designed the webOS notification? or was that from google?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast