Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    That explains it. I thought the 2% Palm number was kinda high.
    lol
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    iPhone 4 got enough battery life in the phone that doesn't need to charge whole day. Now that's cool, instead of having charger all over the places and make sure your phone doesn't run out of battery life.

General consumers don't care about how webOS multitask. Maybe two years ago, when webOS was the only mobile device with multitask. But now, everyone got it. Even WP7 will implement card multitask. So here we are, we are trying to tell the world, webOS got TRUE MULTITASKING. What the hell is true multitask? People just care about, if their pandora runs while they are doing something else. They don't need to open 100+ apps!
    The "true multi-tasking" thing always makes me laugh, when did it morph from 'multi-tasking' to 'true multi-tasking'? anyone able to pinpoint it?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The "true multi-tasking" thing always makes me laugh, when did it morph from 'multi-tasking' to 'true multi-tasking'? anyone able to pinpoint it?
    Right around the time Palm realized that the public is aware that webOS is not the only OS with multitasking capabilities. The marketing slogan was amended to add the "true" portion. I don't recall the date, but it was around the time that iOS got fast app switching.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Right around the time Palm realized that the public is aware that webOS is not the only OS with multitasking capabilities. The marketing slogan was amended to add the "true" portion. I don't recall the date, but it was around the time that iOS got fast app switching.
    Marketing slogan? Palm? HP? No way..
    "True" is HP's way of differentiating between pseudo-multitasking i.e. (saved state, fast application switching) and multitasking the way running multiple applications feel to a user on a PC.
    Concurrent visual and background updates.
    And simply because the term was motivated by the need to differentiate from competing OSes (marketing) doesn't mean it is disingenuous.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbPreCommenter View Post
    "True" is HP's way of differentiating between pseudo-multitasking i.e. (saved state, fast application switching) and multitasking the way running multiple applications feel to a user on a PC.
    Concurrent visual and background updates.
    And simply because the term was motivated by the need to differentiate from competing OSes (marketing) doesn't mean it is disingenuous.

Umm....don't games and videos pause on WebOS when you switch away?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Marketing slogan? Palm? HP? No way..
    lol
    This data is obviously total CRAP because Android is CRUSHING iPhone's marketshare so the gen pop couldn't possibly believe iOS is the "coolest" because they are buying Android phones hand over fist above Apple...

Android's U.S. market share hits 53% - Google 24/7 - Fortune Tech

..oh wait, it was the "Apple" (******y) elitists that think their phone makes them "cooler" than everyone else...ah, got it.
    disingenuous.
    I flat out refuse to look this word up.... I get the gist of it but ho-lay....you tryin to make me feel dumb or yourself smart ?
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Yes... but that is by choice.

There's no point in some apps like an action game or a movie running when you can't hit the controls or watch the movie. So the app received the event of not having focus and pauses its action.

But other apps... not just music apps... have good reason to continue to run in the background...

I use various mapping tools to track my various hiking and biking routes, those are ones that do stay active...
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    the whole multitasking thing and flicking cards off the top of the screen is cool, but apparently not enough to sway most consumers into buying a webos phone.

what is undeniably cool is the touchstone charger. when i first purchased the pre+ i had it siting on the touchstone when my 14yr old daughter and her friends came home. upon noticing it, they inquired of its purpose. after explaining the concept of conductive charging, they exclaimed "cool!"

bought another touchstone for work. after observing me use it, had a coworker come up to it place his phone on it in the hopes of watching it stick to the charger. it was fun seeing the dismay on his face when it didn't work for his phone.
    Apparently the Touchstone isn't cool enough to sway anyone to buy a webos device either. Nor does any phone manufacturer think it's good enough to warrant them putting it in there future devices... RIM didn't even try to copy it. Maybe if Apple decides to add it to their devices it will be cool and catch on.
    As a user, what and how you would want things to happen. And if it is different from how webOS handles multitasking, what alternatives would you suggest?

And also consider how you interact with applications on the PC. They have to be in focus for you to interact with them even when you see multiple ones at the same time and you only get one mouse and mouse pointer.

Btw: there was a patch for webOS < 2.0 that would keep videos playing in the background.

What sane man would want a game to continue running when you are doing other tasks and thus can not control your activity in that app/game??????

I can understand the point of videos running in background if you are only interested in the audio portion of it (which defeats the purpose of a video .. but I digress) .. there is a patch to change the behavior.
    As a user, what and how you would want things to happen. And if it is different from how webOS handles multitasking, what alternatives would you suggest?

And also consider how you interact with applications on the PC. They have to be in focus for you to interact with them even when you see multiple ones at the same time and you only get one mouse and mouse pointer.

Btw: there was a patch for webOS < 2.0 that would keep videos playing in the background.

Well if you are talking about patch, jailbreak backgrounder does that too. It will let you run programs in the background iOS. BTW, who needs to run stuffs while in the background except few stuffs that you really need, like music. iOS handles it very well. Like you have GPS program running. And you switch to like pandora or any other problem. GPS is still running in the background, and it tells you which way to go even if it's not on your screen. Not everything in iOS is in save state. And if it has to run in the background, it does it very well. So average user, they really don't care if this is true or psuedo multi-tasking. Not a big selling point.
    Been using an Iphone for a week now, Im never going back to webos. HP/palm failed and failed hard. The iphone just works, no patching, no second battery, no strange restarts. At least as of yet, no problems. BTW you dont notice the multi tasking, as the poster above said. Sad that Palm/HP dropped the ball, they honestly had plenty of time for R&D to do their job.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    This data is obviously total CRAP because Android is CRUSHING iPhone's marketshare so the gen pop couldn't possibly believe iOS is the "coolest" because they are buying Android phones hand over fist above Apple...

Android's U.S. market share hits 53% - Google 24/7 - Fortune Tech

..oh wait, it was the "Apple" (******y) elitists that think their phone makes them "cooler" than everyone else...ah, got it.
    I thought I already responded to that link you posted in the past.

Here it is again...

Two things...

Number one, which Android device is outselling the iPhone 4? Apple has sold well over 30 million iPhone 4's. Please tell me which other Android manufacturer has sold that many of one model of an Android device.

Number two, iOS consists of the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. All three devices run the same OS, all three can run just about all the same apps, excepts the ones specifically made for the iPad.

So, what's the market share of all iOS devices that can all run the same apps compared to all the Android devices that can all run the same apps? Let's not forget about the fragmentation problem on the Android platform when you provide some info.
    How can you include every Android device known to mankind and ignore the iPod touch and iPad in your so called information that you posted?
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    How can you include every Android device known to mankind and ignore the iPod touch and iPad in your so called information that you posted?
    iPod Touch and iPad ARE NOT phones. All the android devices used for the input data ARE phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    iPod Touch and iPad ARE NOT phones. All the android devices used for the input data ARE phones.
    Read this that I posted about flawed Android numbers...

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...ml#post2845599

They were including Chinese versions of Android in those numbers. That version of Android is not a part of the Google Android platform.

Like I said those stats are including every Android device known to mankind.

Also, if you are a developer making an app do you care if the device has a phone or not? Unless, you are making an app to take advantage of the phone function, it's irrelevant.

iOS with it's three devices is just as big as Android with it's hundreds of devices.

I'm sure that when you buy an Android tablet device that is the wifi version only and it is activated on the Google Android platform, they are counting that number on that platform. So, why not the iPod touch and iPad?

Do you think all these market share studies tell you in great detail what they are including and what they are not including? They are looking for headlines to get you to click on a link.
    Last edited by SoFly; 03/03/2011 at 04:31 PM.
    I think there's a number of people that think the device they carry is only one that can be "cool". Ever.

And it shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    ...BTW, who needs to run stuffs while in the background except few stuffs that you really need, like music. iOS handles it very well....
    This will go down as one of my favorite posts on this forum. I think it should be made a "sticky" so we can all remember how "cool" it makes people when they own Apple stuffs.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast