Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    They need a platform that can grab the largest swath of developers. The new development environment is better than the old.

I think there is so much hand ringing on this forum that it's now comical. If HP would have announced in February and released in February, we'd see tons of threads of people *****ing about the lack of apps. The simple fact is, that some of you no matter what HP does will not be pleased because you're not going to purchase the products. You want an iPad. Which is great. I'm buying one as well. But, to try to transpose Apple and what their current environment is to HP is just daft. It would have been better for HP do launch and have everything ready as soon as possible. But, trying to meet some artificial timeline to make some people on the internet happy is going to hurt them in the long run.
    But aren't most of the people that are complaining people who want a TouchPad? <-- honest question
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    But aren't most of the people that are complaining people who want a TouchPad? <-- honest question

Some do. But, I think a lot of people who are complaining and this is based on the content of their complaints were never going to get a TouchPad.
    They need a platform that can grab the largest swath of developers. The new development environment is better than the old.

I think there is so much hand ringing on this forum that it's now comical. If HP would have announced in February and released in February, we'd see tons of threads of people *****ing about the lack of apps. The simple fact is, that some of you no matter what HP does will not be pleased because you're not going to purchase the products. You want an iPad. Which is great. I'm buying one as well. But, to try to transpose Apple and what their current environment is to HP is just daft. It would have been better for HP do launch and have everything ready as soon as possible. But, trying to meet some artificial timeline to make some people on the internet happy is going to hurt them in the long run.
    I think people are genuinely wondering when this platform will announce new products that are mature with developer/app support and then release them in a timely and abundant fashion. It's not unreasonable to expect timely launches and finished software to support them. Apple does it. HP controls the hardware and software as Apple does, has plenty of money and apparently has way more employee resources to draw from.

Every excuse was made for why Palm couldn't do this. Now, new ones are being trotted out for HP, whose leverage, scale, and engineering corps appears to be having no effect whatsoever.

I know, I know...it's only been 9 months since the merger. Maybe around the 18-24 month period, they'll be ready to compete. Good thing the tablet market will stay still until they get their act together.

WebOS is competing against iOS (or trying to). HP is competing against Apple. If you want to compete against Apple, you need to deliver products that are at least as good in a timeframe that is in the same ballpark. A day late and a dollar short doesn't really cut it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I think people are genuinely wondering when this platform will announce new products that are mature with developer/app support and then release them in a timely and abundant fashion. It's not unreasonable to expect timely launches and finished software to support them. Apple does it. HP controls the hardware and software as Apple does, has plenty of money and apparently has way more employee resources to draw from.

Every excuse was made for why Palm couldn't do this. Now, new ones are being trotted out for HP, whose leverage, scale, and engineering corps appears to be having no effect whatsoever.

I know, I know...it's only been 9 months since the merger. Maybe around the 18-24 month period, they'll be ready to compete. Good thing the tablet market will stay still until they get their act together.
    New excuse, get rid of Rubenstein. He is a liability.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    WebOS is competing against iOS (or trying to). HP is competing against Apple. If you want to compete against Apple, you need to deliver products that are at least as good in a timeframe that is in the same ballpark. A day late and a dollar short doesn't really cut it.
    Webos is competing against itself. New PDK vs old, 3.0 vs older OSes. It's not competing against IOS because it does not exist in the market place in any numbers. For the amount of handset's and developers in the wild it might as well not exist. HP would have done better to not release a 2.0 device but to recall all webos devices and give a refund. Then it will be truly a new product when released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    No company spends billions to enter a business, simply to treat it as a 'side business'. They want return on their investment.

HP is releasing the touchpad this summer because that's when the CAN get it done. If they would have released it 2 weeks after Feb9th, it would have been a beta project with no developer tools. If they waited 2 weeks before the summer release to announce it, we'd have to deal with whiny threads worse than this one all spring.... similar to the whining leading up to Feb9th because of all the unknowns.

do you people really think either of those options would have been better than HP's current course?

Ofcourse it would have been better if they were finished developing their webOS products by now, but they aren't, and their release schedule is governed by that. They can't just snap their fingers and get 3 months worth of development time completed over night.

Yes, as we move into the future, HP will have to LEARN, to speed up their product cycles. Yes, Apple has perfected this concept throughout their YEARS OF EXPERIENCE in the mobile market. This is what we know. That said, is the continued whining really neccisary?
    MSFT did. Danger is dismantled and they never seemed to take it as seriously as one would think, including that huge Kin disaster which was related. I guess those huge losses are tax write offs? Danger was treated as a side business.

As for HP, looking at how they handled this and what advertisements I get from them in my email. yes Palm is not a priority. True I could be wrong, but they seem more interested in selling business and consumer machines and printers. And perhaps servers too. I got an email about their enterprise services too. They don't have any problem selling their core products in a timely manner.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123