Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    It would be great if someow HP could get money from RIM or prevent them from using the card metaphor. But I doubt its something that can be prevented.
    Copying is going to happen in this space... I'll live with that. What bothers me more is RIM's response:

"Well, when you’re trying to optimize user experience that juggles multitasking, multiple apps open at once and on a small screen, you’re going to get people landing on similar kinds of designs."

That's pretty disingenuous, because there ARE, in fact, other ways of doing it. They just chose to use the exact display and the exact method of ending an app as webOS. So of course I had to leave a comment calling that out.
  3.    #4  
    They could have had a different way to do multitasking. Android and iOS have their own brand of showing multiple apps different from webOS's card metaphor. RIM could have done something different, but they did what webOS was already doing. There are more than three ways to do multitasking.

I don't think its the card metaphor alone that makes it a rip off. But when you factor in them copying the gesture area with the same gestures it really becomes apparent they had a mission to rip off webOS.

I don't let it bother me too much though, I've seen too many designs get ripped off in this space to let that kind of stuff matter anymore. Copying helps innovation by forcing companies to keep working on their design in order to differentiate. Hopefully HP will take note and update their ui design a bit.
  5.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I don't let it bother me too much though, I've seen too many designs get ripped off in this space to let that kind of stuff matter anymore. Copying helps innovation by forcing companies to keep working on their design in order to differentiate. Hopefully HP will take note and update their ui design a bit.
    That seems to be the stance that HP is taking. On Engadget, HP was quoted as saying, "We'll keep innovating, we'll keep honing and those guys hopefully will continue to see the value in it and keep following us by about a year."

Well most people have never seen a webos phone(or at least how it works), so when rim, ms, google have cards they'll think its fresh.
    Laingman - somebody said something similar in another thread "Just wait till Apple uses it [some WebOS feature] - then it will be fresh and innovative.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    QNX had always ported their OS to different form factors to attract potential customers --- they ported their OS to run on Compaq iPAQ PDA's in 2002.

QNX iPAQ User's Guide

It would not surprise me that QNX had tablet mock-ups already in place --- before RIM bought them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    It would be great if someow HP could get money from RIM or prevent them from using the card metaphor. But I doubt its something that can be prevented.
    I doubt they'd even try to attack thme based on something so general. After all, HP isn't Apple.
    annoyed at first, but now glad to hear rim is copying the webos features i love. rimm makes phones with great keyboards. getting a webos ui on them would make them perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    Copying is going to happen in this space... I'll live with that. What bothers me more is RIM's response:

"Well, when you’re trying to optimize user experience that juggles multitasking, multiple apps open at once and on a small screen, you’re going to get people landing on similar kinds of designs."

That's pretty disingenuous, because there ARE, in fact, other ways of doing it. They just chose to use the exact display and the exact method of ending an app as webOS. So of course I had to leave a comment calling that out.
    The thing is, especially when talking tablets, there isn't a better way of doing it. And if RIM is coping WebOS, then Palm coped Mac OS X with OS X Expose All Windows feature. It's a similar concept -- and in fact its why I like WebOS because it's more like my desktop experience and I understand it. I don't like the way other people do it because they choose to make it like Windows, where you have to select it from some sort of menu.

So I am fine with the PlayBook and in fact, it's why I am excited for the device. It looks pretty good. Of course, I prefer HP TouchPad if I have a choice -- but both are good.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Well most people have never seen a webos phone(or at least how it works), so when rim, ms, google have cards they'll think its fresh.
    Exactly! Even read the responses below the article. A few people think the card metaphor is something released as a new feature on the TP when it's been with webOS sense 2009.
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    It would not surprise me that QNX had tablet mock-ups already in place --- before RIM bought them out.
    If they already had mockups, why is it taking so long for them to release the Playbook?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    If they already had mockups, why is it taking so long for them to release the Playbook?
    They might have mockups running on completely different platforms (like x86). They got mockups of everything --- QNX is currently hiring engineers for their camera team (the hiring notes talked about point-and-shoot camera).

That QNX iPAQ mockup I cited --- was created by a few smart QNX people --- including Bill Bull (who later was an UI manager for ipod at Apple) and Chris McKillop (who was in the iphone team before he jumped ship to Palm to become director of software).
    I just hate the thought that all Palm's great innovation has been copied into another company's device. This would be fine if there weren't people unaware that this multitasking concept wasn't originally RIM's idea.

Last thing I want is for people to see webOS devices and say, 'Urrgh look at that, stupid Palm copying RIM's intuitive UI from their Playbook!! I won't buy their unoriginal products.'

Disgusting thought.

Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    the funny thing is... that's exactly what's going to happen. and especially if the playbook comes to market first.

years later, most people still dont know what a pre or webos on a phone is. my coworker that had a pre a year ago already went with evo after exchanging it enough times and has been happy to buy a phone and not have problems anymore and i havent seen a pre around since!

there are more people that have touched a blackberry than iphone that they'll look at it and give them full cred.

The palm finally comes out and they'll say, "hey it's just like the playbook... what a ripoff from hp."

Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    I just hate the thought that all Palm's great innovation has been copied into another company's device. This would be fine if there weren't people unaware that this multitasking concept wasn't originally RIM's idea.

Last thing I want is for people to see webOS devices and say, 'Urrgh look at that, stupid Palm copying RIM's intuitive UI from their Playbook!! I won't buy their unoriginal products.'

Disgusting thought.

Last edited by donm527; 03/05/2011 at 06:10 PM.
    This commercial def proves tha they are copying

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    This is a very good point and speaks to current HP/WebOS mindshare, or lack thereof.
    We'll see what people will say when they put the QNX system on the Torch...

If by then people still don't think it's a rip off, it would mean that HP failed horribly at advertising webOS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast