1.    #1  
    Now then, I'm sure you're wondering, "What in god's name is this 'hyperionOS' thing?"

Well, you're probably not, but I'm going to answer that question anyways.

HyperionOS is my pet project, I guess you could call it my baby. It's a concept mobile OS which totally rethinks the role of a smartphone in our lives. It's meant to act more as a friend, than as a tool.

Now then, with that out of the way, let's get to the nitty-gritty.

hyperionOS is very minimalistic, monochromed and text-based. This is done on purpose, to show less clutter and more of what the user actually wants.

In addition, my vision for the future of the OS is to be completely open-sourced, with template-based coding, so that anyone who wishes to modify it may do so and redistribute it at their own leisure.

And now, to the mockups. Keep in mind that these are far from final, and represent a lot of different changes in aesthetic ideas, so please judge accordingly.

Check it out here.

UPDATES SO FAR:

SMS threading - 16 March, 00:05
    Home screen - 16 March, 00:55

Enjoy.
    Last edited by TheAngelOfElysium; 03/16/2011 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Beginning changes
    Let me show you what cynicism looks like.
    No offense, but it somewhat seems like a featurephone version of WP7.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    No offense, but it somewhat seems like a featurephone version of WP7.
    Yeaaaah, that's what I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks for the criticism.
    I like it, definitely a little reminiscent of wp7. If the text were a little smaller it may seem more minimalistic.

Editor02 (from dA)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Keep in mind that icons and groupings are not just to add beauty and clutter. Proper UX design should be based on a careful study of human interactions. The UI portion has moved away from "text-based" to graphical because of the way people think in general (even though text is more productive in some situations). In fact, in many cases, text adds more clutter.

Just putting that out there for consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Keep in mind that icons and groupings are not just to add beauty and clutter.
    I would tend to agree. I understand the goal of ultra-minimalism, but it leaves a UI where its unknown if the text on the screen is just text to be read, or a label to a button to preform an action. Visual recognition by pictrograph rather than words tends to also be faster and require less cognitive thought (simple example is a green handset to make calls rather than "call someone" in a list of other phrases).

Also, I would consider far greater distinction between you/them in the messaging conversation window. Slightly offsetting the otherwise identical text just isn't enough to quickly recognize the origin of the message.

But I really like that "secret question" lockscreen. I don't think I've seen that before. Provides a deliberate lockscreen with a bit security, but should be easier to recognize and remember than some arbitrary number or gesture. Allow for some generic questions, plus some custom ones, and you should be golden there.

Also, being a bit of an engineer, I would like to know more about the underpinnings of hyperionOS. I understand a good UI is a place to start, but what are your thoughts on the actual implementation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    I like it, definitely a little reminiscent of wp7. If the text were a little smaller it may seem more minimalistic.
    Alright then, I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Keep in mind that icons and groupings are not just to add beauty and clutter. Proper UX design should be based on a careful study of human interactions. The UI portion has moved away from "text-based" to graphical because of the way people think in general (even though text is more productive in some situations). In fact, in many cases, text adds more clutter.

Just putting that out there for consideration.
    Yeah, that does make sense. I'm looking at some of these menus, especially the messaging one, and it just looks too busy. I'll have to work on that. Thanks for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    I would tend to agree. I understand the goal of ultra-minimalism, but it leaves a UI where its unknown if the text on the screen is just text to be read, or a label to a button to preform an action. Visual recognition by pictrograph rather than words tends to also be faster and require less cognitive thought (simple example is a green handset to make calls rather than "call someone" in a list of other phrases).

Also, I would consider far greater distinction between you/them in the messaging conversation window. Slightly offsetting the otherwise identical text just isn't enough to quickly recognize the origin of the message.

But I really like that "secret question" lockscreen. I don't think I've seen that before. Provides a deliberate lockscreen with a bit security, but should be easier to recognize and remember than some arbitrary number or gesture. Allow for some generic questions, plus some custom ones, and you should be golden there.

Also, being a bit of an engineer, I would like to know more about the underpinnings of hyperionOS. I understand a good UI is a place to start, but what are your thoughts on the actual implementation?
    That does make sense. I'm thinking of slight design changes to incorporate that, actually, but I don't want to use too many icons, lest it become...well, a featurephone version of Windows Phone 7. I may even make an icon-only UI for even more minimalism. I'll throw up some mockups when I get the chance and see how it looks.

As for the messaging menu, I'm right there with you, now that I take a second look at it. Smaller text is definitely in order, perhaps with some slight coloration, maybe on the bars. We'll see.

I'm glad you like the "secret question" unlock screen! People have been telling me they like that, so I'm glad I may have at least gotten something right.

As for the actual mechanics of hyperionOS, I'm still working on it with a couple of friends of mine, bouncing it off of them. I want to make it as simple as possible so that customization is easy, but we'll see.
  8.    #8  
    Shamelessly bumping because I want to see people's opinions on the updates.