Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Every day the touchpad isnt available, it is losing ground to ipad and honeycomb. Unlike the cellphone industry, I do not think we can have 3-4 platforms
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Every day the touchpad isnt available, it is losing ground to ipad and honeycomb. Unlike the cellphone industry, I do not think we can have 3-4 platforms
    I don't think HP has to worry too much about the Honeycomb tablets. They generally required a two year contract with data and that is something people don't like. In the tablet market, I think there will be three big players. RIM, HP, and Apple. Thats until they make a wifi only honeycomb. Then that might change things.
    I actually think HP might be on to something here let Motorola/Android rush to market with an inferior product in an atempt to thwart Apple then when the vastly superior webOS shows up as the next challenger to Apple they will be judged against the Xoom, Galaxy Tab, etc. And not be judged as just the latest "iPad Killer".
    @astratih
    You know the Xoom is available wifi only currently. And more (and ill guess cheaper) honeycomb tablets will be out before the touchpad.

@dreadlion42
    Inferior in what way? And to what?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadlion42 View Post
    I actually think HP might be on to something here let Motorola/Android rush to market with an inferior product in an atempt to thwart Apple then when the vastly superior webOS shows up as the next challenger to Apple they will be judged against the Xoom, Galaxy Tab, etc. And not be judged as just the latest "iPad Killer".
    You mean like what Palm did with the Pre when they let others get to market first with "inferior products" before showing the world the vastly superior Pre with webOS? /sarcasm

I think it's more plausible that Palm was simply late to the game and so is HP. They are not "waiting around" to release. The product is simply not ready at the moment. And when they do come out, the blogs will still try and label them as "the latest iPad Killer" because that's just how it goes.

"All of this has happened before and will happen again."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    No it is not.

You know how everyone here complained that the Pre 2 was already obsoleted by the Evo and company? The Xoom is already outdated by the Touchpad.

Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    You mean like what Palm did with the Pre when they let others get to market first with "inferior products" before showing the world the vastly superior Pre with webOS? /sarcasm

I think it's more plausible that Palm was simply late to the game and so is HP. They are not "waiting around" to release. The product is simply not ready at the moment. And when they do come out, the blogs will still try and label them as "the latest iPad Killer" because that's just how it goes.

Touché. Let me re-phrase that. Instead of "HP might be on to something" which implies this is an I intentional strategy on HP's part, I should have said "Being late to market might work out in HP's favor". That said, I think it would be mistake to lump in HP's marketing of webOS tablets with Palm's marketing of webOS smart phones. Different companies, different products and different times.

One more thing, please note, I said vastly superior webOS, not vastly superior Pre
    odd I have yet to see one xoom comericial...
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    odd I have yet to see one xoom comericial...
    I've seen many. But here you go.

Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    @astratih
    You know the Xoom is available wifi only currently. And more (and ill guess cheaper) honeycomb tablets will be out before the touchpad.

@dreadlion42
    Inferior in what way? And to what?
    Specifically the UI. I've used both iOS an Android and in my opinion (and I recognize it's just my opinion) the UI of webOS combined with the gesture area provides for a better user experience.
    I saw two commercials tonight that were products for the iPad specifically but they weren't Apple commercials:

The first one was: The XFINITY TV App
    The second one was:

Oddly enough, they were back-to-back commercials during the Oscars.
    I saw a ton of them during the Heat/Knicks game tonight.

I don't know how well the Xoom will sell but I agree with the premise of the OP. Every Xoom sale is one less potential TouchPad sale.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I saw a ton of them during the Heat/Knicks game tonight.

I don't know how well the Xoom will sell but I agree with the premise of the OP. Every Xoom sale is one less potential TouchPad sale.
    Yes, I was watching that too. And on TNT few days ago, AND on Vs. AND on NHL network AND on NBC.. its crazy!

And they arent that bad either. Wish it was webos
    That said, I think it would be mistake to lump in HP's marketing of webOS tablets with Palm's marketing of webOS smart phones. Different companies, different products and different times.
    Though you've got got to admit there are some striking similarities in the "announce now, don't let anyone touch it during the demos because it's not ready, give a release window that spans enough months that the competition has a chance to minimize any advantage your announcement may have indicated" approach both companies have taken.
    One more thing, please note, I said vastly superior webOS, not vastly superior Pre
    Unfortunately webOS is neither superior nor vastly superior. webOS is pretty and does some things well. It's like saying the pretty girl is automatically the vastly superior person. When the OS matures a bit it may move to an equal footing with the others, but for now, there's work (read: APIs, performance, optimization) to be done by the engineers. Heck, you've still got Palm fans complaining about webOS' lack of basic features.

It's getting better but "vastly superior" is a stretch.
    I'm thinking a lot of the hype on the Xoom is fading fast...

Tablet-centric Android needs work, say early reviews

The crux of this is that while this product is early to market - it isn't ready. The approach taken appears to be causing two types of problems - stabillity and application envy. The apps aren't ready and the platform isn't working in a stable way. Ouch!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I'm thinking a lot of the hype on the Xoom is fading fast...

Tablet-centric Android needs work, say early reviews

The crux of this is that while this product is early to market - it isn't ready. The approach taken appears to be causing two types of problems - stabillity and application envy. The apps aren't ready and the platform isn't working in a stable way. Ouch!
    By the time TouchPad is available, I am sure Xoom HoneyComb OS will be much more stable. And I am sure there will be tons of apps ready. Now all the review will say TouchPad isn't quite ready. By the time, TouchPad gets some apps to run on, we'll be talking about Xoom2, and other next generation Android Tablet and Ipad 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    By the time TouchPad is available, I am sure Xoom HoneyComb OS will be much more stable. And I am sure there will be tons of apps ready. Now all the review will say TouchPad isn't quite ready. By the time, TouchPad gets some apps to run on, we'll be talking about Xoom2, and other next generation Android Tablet and Ipad 3.
    See, this is the thing I've been paying the most attention to. Many people keep assuming that it's a simple matter of "if you build it, they will come." For about 2 years there has been one "the flood gates will burst open as soon as..." statements after the other and not one of them made a difference in the end. So I'm skeptical that simply making a few more of those statements this time will mean anything. The new hooks seem to be "when Enyo is released" and "when the TouchPad is released". Let's see if anything becomes of them.
    It's like saying the pretty girl is automatically the vastly superior person.
    But the pretty girl is automatically the vastly superior person, at least if you ask any male.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast