Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys

Apple is going to be making a 4" iPhone 5, but where is HP's 4" phone?

iPhone 5 part surfaces, shows larger display and thinner bezel? | 9 to 5 Mac iPhone 5 part surfaces, shows larger display and thinner bezel? | Apple Intelligence

Everyone is going with a 4" display why HP is not?

We should ask HP about this?
    Attack of the massive phones..l
    That was HP's view and correct..

These things are cumbersome to hold properly..seen the samsung desire hd?, its needs 3 hands ! At this rate people will have a ipad sized phone stuck on their ears

I will buy the palm pre form factor any day
    a slab is going to come eventually. Hp's only owned palm for 7 months.
  4.    #4  
    HP should have released the 4" slab on Feb 9th, with carriers in tow. At this I am seriously considering iPhone 5 with iPad 2, if nothing comes out of HP's mouth by summer Sprint with HP will leave me no choice, I will move 5 lines to AT&T, my family already said they will get either the HP 4" slab of iPhone 5 4", I would like everything centralized, since i got iMac would like everything to communicate between each other. My wife said she no like iMac when we got it, now she totally loves and says how simple it is to use and fast no crashes or anything like that, but enough of that. This summer thing with HP is not bolding well for them. iPad 2 coming next week, iPhone 5 summer and where the HELL IS HP? Than HP will say slow sales and blame it on the phone, but if they would have came out already and said who is the carrier then people would wait. I think lot of people will jump on this new iPhone 5, since it will be again complete redesign.

Dont get me wrong I totally love webOS and if I do leave Sprint I might get Pre 3 if Sprint does not pick it up. I just cant understand HP thinking here. The CEO is clueless and has no marketing experience. He awesome BS'er thats about it.
    Did you participate in the webOS poll recently? Virtually none of the users who responded liked the idea of a 4" slab. Most if not all liked a Pre 3 form factor better.

Market research beats trendy idea... show any survey anywhere that shows a high demand for a 4" slab from HP. I think they have to at least assume that their existing customer base would be their first bet for customers - and those customers are generally saying - Give me a vertical slider.
  6.    #6  
    To me as to everyone else here, this is so mind boggling about the road HP is taking here. So frustrated with HP, makes me think that HP should not have bought Palm.
  7.    #7  
    I never said not to release the current Pre 3 but they could have added just one more unit.
    HP did not prove themselves yet to go on island by themselves, they should have made a slab.
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    To me as to everyone else here, this is so mind boggling about the road HP is taking here. So frustrated with HP, makes me think that HP should not have bought Palm.
    See this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/general...ebos-test.html

I'm not following your "everyone" comment. Granted there are only 38 responses and some of those are from the same people who posted earlier in the thread - this is not scientific but it is quite one sided... and not in favor of a slab overall.
    I never said not to release the current Pre 3 but they could have added just one more unit.
    HP did not prove themselves yet to go on island by themselves, they should have made a slab.

Timing. If the existing group wants a Pre3 vs. a Slab - then by all means give them the Pre3 first.

1) No new development costs on how to get the phone functions like copy/paste working.

2) No need to wait for webOS 3 which supports devices without dedicated gesture area.

3) No need to trash existing apps or box them into an emulation jail to run on the new phone to work without gesture area etc.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    See this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/general...ebos-test.html

I'm not following your "everyone" comment. Granted there are only 38 responses and some of those are from the same people who posted earlier in the thread - this is not scientific but it is quite one sided... and not in favor of a slab overall.
    If HP dependent on this forum alone they will be out of biz with the Pre 3 or any other webOS device. This forum is great forum but does not speak for the rest of the world. There are tons of people who prefer the slab and tons of people who dont, the more style phones you put out to the market the better chance you have to gain market shares, and this is what it is all about market shares.
    No sorry to disappoint you I am not "snivelling whiney baby" just stating personal opinion.
    LOL - I think he might have been sarcastic but it fits the avatar picture too. Just laugh it off. I think your not a baby - you have a passionate view and you want to express frustration. If HP/Palm wasn't 10 months behind where they are today I'd be a heck of a lot happier myself. For one thing I'd have a pre2 not a pre Plus.
  12.    #12  
    I still have the original Pre from Sprint and I totally love it, I just think to go to the phone market war you need lots of hardware ( veer, Pre 3 ) lets leave the pad out of this. HP could have easily added another 4" slab that is all what i am saying. HP be better of in the market share, right now the market share is dominated by 4" slabs, HP should have thrown its hat in to the ring, gives HP better position.
  13.    #13  
    If it was up to me I would have made every form factor possible and release it all to the market at same time, since I am 10 months behind I would come out with all guns blazing and catch a good chunk of the market, try to appease all kind of customers. Thats how you capture the market share and make company brand known. If you look at the webOS market share we are at the bottom with like 3+% what is that? That is a disgusting market share. Make all model phone world phones and not waste time with CDMA,GSM, LTE or WiMax.
  14.    #14  
    Look at this link:
    This is what HP SHOULD have announced! - Page 2 - PreCentral Forums

Nothing wrong with making something like this.

I am just very frustrated with HP right now, and I guess I am just venting.
    You can't build a worthwhile house without building a solid foundation first. You personally may have come out into the market with all form factors and guns blazing, but I'm sure the shareholders are glad it wasn't up to you. I'd MUCH rather have HP build and solidify the webOS software and apps first and then expand the hardware lineup. HP has already stated that their intent to keep introducing new hardware. Just do it slow, steady.. and more importantly: correctly, before concentrating on expanding hardware. /2cents
    I still have the original Pre from Sprint and I totally love it, I just think to go to the phone market war you need lots of hardware ( veer, Pre 3 ) lets leave the pad out of this. HP could have easily added another 4" slab that is all what i am saying. HP be better of in the market share, right now the market share is dominated by 4" slabs, HP should have thrown its hat in to the ring, gives HP better position.
    http://forums.precentral.net/2887539-post9.html

I think you missed this? The point is that a slab requires an ecosystem that does not exist right now in webOS. There will be a time for a slab in the future I suspect - but only after those kinds of issues are resolved with the tablet push.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I personally think the iPhone is too big with it's 3.5" screen. I wanted a slightly bigger screen for the Pre, but not iPhone big. 3.3 inches would've been fine by me.

So do I think that the Pre3 is too big? More than likely I will, but I'm still going to get it because it's not as big as the EVO et. al. Those things are humongous.

Part of the reason I think 3.5+ inches is too big is that there are some of us that prefer to keep our phones on our belts. I've always been a belt-clip guy: I never keep a phone in my pants pocket. Phones that big will not be comfortable on our belts while we're sitting down regardless of how thin they are. That is why I could care less about how much thinner a new phone is. The Pre/Pre2 is just fine on my belt. The current iPhone is pushing to the limit and I'm assuming the Pre3 will as well. If the Pre3 had a 4" screen, I honestly think I would have second thoughts of purchasing it.

Yes I believe that HP/Palm should come out with a 4" slab only because the demand is there, but it's the people that are unhappy that are the most vocal. I think they are in the minority.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    I believe, after doing the mockups and designing and modeling in 3D, that the optimial size for a hardware keyboard phone is 3.7 - 3.8" and for one without a physical keyboard, that 4" - 4.3" is really quite good, as the vitrual keyboards really need more screen area to be usable to the wide range of figner sizes in the general consumer market, in the portrait mode (where it's size is limited to the width of the device).

If you are HP, you have looked at the market and the best selling devices, including the iPhone and the Droid, and you will want to compete with these devices, and make an offering that people will not only consider, but, potentially see as a better buy, in one way or another.

That's just good business, and HP is all about business.

If I were HP, right now, I'd be prepping a bar style smartphone for release that would compete with the iPhone and Droid lines that will be state of the art come this summer - there are a whole slew of new processors and displays to consider, and WebOS 3 is really what I would want to drive my device to compete with them, so, the devices I am bringing to the market now will pave the way for me to really know how to implement it on the bar style device to best appeal to the market and consumers.

I'd bet pretty heavily that this is certainly in their plans, and they arent going to tip thier intentions until they are absolutely ready to bring it to market. I would also bet that if the Pre 3, TouchPad and Veer are given good reviews and recieve at least respectable market demand, that they will want to use that to build the brand loyalty into even more demand for the bar-style phone, when it emerges, as well.

A little OT, but, still somewhat related - I bet HP is really scrutinizing carefull over the CPU for that device, as well. It may well be the most important component choice they make, in fact.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

3.6 is perfect. now if it would just come to Sprint.
    What's the best part about this? Same exact device size as the previous yet it would have a bigger display.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast