Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    In Canada, where the iPhone has been on all carriers for quite a while...the iPhone is killing its competitors int he smartphone market with 77% of the market.

    Android and Blackberry each have only 8% (and RIM/Blackberry is a Canadian company). For me, that is very hard to believe! But, it may speak of what's to come in the U.S. market now that AT&T excusivity has ended.

    I guess the only good news here for webOS is that if all the non-iPhones have a small market to share, then you won't have to be very big to be in the running with them.

    Here's a link to stats for other countries: http://paidcontent.org/images/editor...feb.2011-o.png

    EDIT: These stats are based on website hits and I don't think they accurately reflect the market.
    Last edited by bradleyj; 02/26/2011 at 01:11 AM.
  2. TyBec's Avatar
    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    #2  
    I refuse to believe it. Maybe if this is only the consumer market, but even then it seems very wrong.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
  3. #3  
    Last stats reported for the U. S. said Android had passed the iPhone, but this doesn't reflect that.

    Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  4. #4  
    WRONG!

    I have no idea where it got it's data from, but if you live in canada, and see the number of blackberries, you KNOW it's more than 8 percent.

    update:

    Knew I was right:

    http://gs.statcounter.com/faq#methodology

    They have trackers on 3 million sites, and track visitors by OS. This does not equal sales.

    Many BB owners don't have data plans.

    Also: all 3 carriers have had the iphone since the 3gs. Rogers has had it since the 3g. (2g was US only)
  5. #5  
    Iphones are the most overrated phone on the market today. I absolutly hate them i love all the small guys had an android when they first came out and webos when they first came out im completly in love with webos. Webos and android will take the market over. Look at the stats in that os face off webos and windows 7 were in the finals blackberry was out first round and ios was out 2nd round android and webos all the way .
  6.    #6  
    Ah, that makes sense if they are web-analytics based on web traffic from particular devices.

    When I had a blackberry, the browser was so bad and the interface so horrible that I lothed using it to browse the web and would often avoid it. With webOS (and I'm sure iOS) using the internet on a phone is much more enjoyable and thus probably happens more frequently.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by 74sickness View Post
    Iphones are the most overrated phone on the market today. I absolutly hate them i love all the small guys had an android when they first came out and webos when they first came out im completly in love with webos. Webos and android will take the market over. Look at the stats in that os face off webos and windows 7 were in the finals blackberry was out first round and ios was out 2nd round android and webos all the way .
    Why do you have to make it so ideological? Why can't you just enjoy a phone for what it is, not for its place in a market?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Last stats reported for the U. S. said Android had passed the iPhone, but this doesn't reflect that.

    Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Android has taken over the iPhone in market share in the U.S., but not iOS; the iPod touch and iPad helps iOS overtake all others.
  9. #9  
    This is all about what I call usage share, not market share. iOS has significantly higher usage share everywhere it has been measured.
  10. #10  
    Thread title corrected to prevent a firestorm.
  11. #11  
    Sounds about right, really. There hasn't been much of an Android push into Canada over the past few years. Of Motorola's Droid line, I think the only one that actually made it into Canada was the original Milestone.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Thread title corrected to prevent a firestorm.
    thanks, that is better
  13. #13  
    interestingly it says mobile and not mobile phone or smartphone. i wonder if they are considering tablets. Which honestly i wouldn't since personally a phone and a tablet are two different markets for me. But who knows. i was under the impression android had passed apple in the smartphone market.

    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Thread title corrected to prevent a firestorm.
    ah i missed it. What did it say???
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    This is all about what I call usage share, not market share. iOS has significantly higher usage share everywhere it has been measured.
    And to be more specific, this is web page usage. There might be a completely different picture if they tracked total emails sent/received or total texts sent/received. What this report verifies is that iOS devices are, in general, used more to surf the web than other mobile devices.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    And to be more specific, this is web page usage. There might be a completely different picture if they tracked total emails sent/received or total texts sent/received. What this report verifies is that iOS devices are, in general, used more to surf the web than other mobile devices.
    Yes, but what I'm talking about goes beyond web usage. That is not the only usage metric that matters. App purchasing is another. The counter argument is that Android has free apps and ad dollars. True, but iOS leads there as well. Every survey shows that an iOS customer is far more likely to click on an ad and make a purchase as a direct result of the ad. iOS leads in all usage measurements that matter.

    What this means for developers is that if you had two Android users on one side and one iOS user on the other, regardless of whether you were optimizing a web site, making a paid app, or an ad supported free app, you will do better by coding for the one iOS user than the two Android users. Naturally, given a choice, you want to do both. But it does explain why stuff gets written for iOS first.

    WebOS has neither mindshare, marketshare, nor usage share to fall back on. It has a tougher battle than WP7. I think It is reasonable to consider the next couple of years as recruiting years, as they say in sports.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Yes, but what I'm talking about goes beyond web usage. ...

    ...WebOS has neither mindshare, marketshare, nor usage share to fall back on. It has a tougher battle than WP7. I think It is reasonable to consider the next couple of years as recruiting years, as they say in sports.
    How did this turn in to a WebOS discussion? I thought it was about iPhone and Android.

    Oh yeah, forgot, the iPhone fans come here to keep us in our place.

    Didn't someone say something like:
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Why do you have to make it so ideological? Why can't you just enjoy a phone for what it is, not for its place in a market?
  17. #17  
    Why parsons, I thought you would appreciate a WebOS tie-in. Wouldn't want someone to ask why we don't just go somewhere else since this is a WebOS site. Oh, well. Can't please some people.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Why parsons, I thought you would appreciate a WebOS tie-in. Wouldn't want someone to ask why we don't just go somewhere else since this is a WebOS site. Oh, well. Can't please some people.
    So, I take it you weren't really sincere in your comment about simply enjoying a device?

Posting Permissions