View Poll Results: Who is thinking about getting the WP7 HTC Arrive

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Whats WP7?

7 11.67%
  • I think I will wait until this summer for the Pre3!

46 76.67%
  • I will be getting this!

7 11.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have a use it or lose it upgrade on Sprint and I am actually leaning towards the arrive even though I really dislike the landscape slider. If there is not a Pre3 on Sprint by the 31st, this will probably be my choice as I cannot afford an off-contract replacement for my aging Pre-.
    can someone explain the landscape slider hate? I love my pixi but the spacing of the keys is so much better and typing so much easier with a landscape slider.
    Try using a landscape one handed.
    I arrived at a conclusion, and it wasn't the Arrive... #2.
    good point but the only time I type one handed is if I'm driving in which case I really shouldn't be typing anyways
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkj View Post
    good point but the only time I type one handed is if I'm driving in which case I really shouldn't be typing anyways
    Here's why landscape is less than ideal:

- It forces you to always rotate to type whereas with portrait you can slide up and just type.
    - While it gives you a widescreen look when typing most text and emails run vertical so the result is actually less screen real estate
    - IMO, the horizontal keyboard is actually spaced uncomfortably too wide because it feigns the apearance of a genuine full scale keyboard where you would type with both hands but you still only use your thumb tips.

With phone-size keyboards less is more it seems.
    The most ideal configuration, IMHO, is awesome onscreen keyboard (which WP7 seems to have) + nice, thin landscape keyboard (for when you really need to enter a lot of text). This covers pretty much every orientation and every use case, I think.

A portrait QWERTY is ideal if you are fine with always sliding your device for a physical type, but it is useless in landscape, and I don't particularly care for landscape virtual keyboard typing.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Well I would like to play with the phone before I make my final decision. I am currently sitting on a upgrade that I really want to do something with. Pre3 sounds exciting but what if it never happens on Sprint is my point. I am certainly not going to switch carriers for it but, I just dont want to get burned again.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Here's why landscape is less than ideal:

- It forces you to always rotate to type whereas with portrait you can slide up and just type.
    - While it gives you a widescreen look when typing most text and emails run vertical so the result is actually less screen real estate
    - IMO, the horizontal keyboard is actually spaced uncomfortably too wide because it feigns the apearance of a genuine full scale keyboard where you would type with both hands but you still only use your thumb tips.

With phone-size keyboards less is more it seems.
    This.

I'd add, too, this odd phenomenon: I perceive landscape sliders as thicker, bulkier phones. I know portrait sliders are often just as chunky (or even chunkier), but it seems whenever someone wants to do a smartphone landscape slider, they bulk it up to the point where it's just ridiculous. This may be just a product of my own perception, though.

At one point in my life, the idea of the Arrive's form factor was actually very appealing. I was sorely tempted to get the HTC Tilt ... when I was in college, and sitting behind a desk all day. Popping that mini-laptop open and setting it down in front of me during a lecture would have been great for note-taking or ... let's be real ... surreptitious SMSing. Then the huge landscape keyboard would be an asset, as I could type with fingers as opposed to thumbs.

So if I was still in college, I'd seriously consider it.
    funny after reading the reviews :

HTC 7 Pro review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Mobile phones

HTC 7 Pro Review - Phone Arena

and using is at my job (the htc surround) for a while, I think most if not all webos users will be disappointed. I say this because WP7 lacks alot of functionality (it is still pretty beta) and even so is not as elegant, or as muture as Webos. I was all for getting this device understanding the shortcomings but with things like most scenes wont work in landscape, emailing issues like attachments, no multitasking support, flash, gestures of course, colors are washed out, no options to patch what is not there, and much more. Im thinking for 200 on contract is a bit steep, and may wait and see if something from HP is announced for sprint by may.
    Notwithstanding the fact that its early in WP7's life cycle I gotta see this device for myself before making any concrete decisions.

WellWellWell- What's your take on the OS so far from your use. One of my main requirements is speed and from what I've seen WP7 has it but what's your overall feel.
    Last edited by foosball; 03/03/2011 at 10:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Notwithstanding the fact that its early in WP7's life cycle I gotta see this device for myself before making any concrete decisions.

WellWellWell- What's your take on the OS so far from your use. One of my main requirements is speed and from what I've seen WP7 has it but what's your overall feel.
    def speed is there, Its very clean and if I were to recommend a device other then android it would be WP7. Dont get me wrong I like WP7 alot, but yes I would def try it out in the store, and read the reviews of WP7 in general to make sure it does everything you need in a smartphone according to your daily life. It is very well optimized, and has very little to none hiccups.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    def speed is there, Its very clean and if I were to recommend a device other then android it would be WP7. Dont get me wrong I like WP7 alot, but yes I would def try it out in the store, and read the reviews of WP7 in general to make sure it does everything you need in a smartphone according to your daily life. It is very well optimized, and has very little to none hiccups.
    Thanks, man. I don't think it does everything I want but those are compromises I can deal with... we shall see.

If it turns out the OS is as promising as it looks the HTC Arrive will be my gateway drug anyway and will be on ebay as soon as another CDMA phone hits the market.
    if your gunna buy this device you gotta take in the fact thats it 1.0 software but that M$ is working fast and hard to compete with the fast moving market and in time it will be a great OS

and the thing that worries me with the arrive is the specs which are last gen, i dont want a last gen device and sprint only seems to have last gen right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by djfu3l3r View Post
    okay sorry to bust Ur bubble guys but I just played with the phone last night at the engadget reader meetup. And that thing has some major oreo effect. And the hardware feels cheap. I know its by htc but it didn't feel as solid as some of their other phones
    From one who owns a Pixi, I'm not familiar with what the "oreo effect" is. Someone care to fill me in?
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    From one who owns a Pixi, I'm not familiar with what the "oreo effect" is. Someone care to fill me in?
    From someone who owns a Pre and thinks that oreo has been wildly overstated it's the twisting laterally that potentially can occur on slider-designed devices.
    also people understand just because a device is running at a lower GHZ or less ram dosent mean it is last generation. Its how well the OS is optimized, look at the Iphone generations. Even when the 3Gs was out it ran circles around phones like the nexus one and was clocked half as fast. WP7 is very optimized at that, as well as besides a handful of phones like the thunderbolt, the Pre3, and the Atrix most phones are still only clocked at 1ghz, and with 516mb of ram or so. As well though as a alternative for people wantin to stay on webos until something new comes to their carrier, consider the convert to webos 2.1. The directions on here is very simple (since the meta doctor you dont have to build yourself, the script for your specific device is already compiled). I have a Sprint Pre Plus (vz version) and with 2.1 its very clean looking more on the lines of how Apples Iphone transitions through applications. It also fixed alot of things on the OS that makes it more professional looking, and homebrew now has 1ghz kernels to run the pre devices very well.
    I don't know what to call it BEFORE March 20th...I mean...we can't call it ARRIVE when it hasn't...yet. This is making my brown eyes hurt.

Oh! This is a PARADOX, isn't it? Let's call it PARADOX...for now.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I might give the Arrive a try. I love webOS and still have my original launch day Spint Pre. The Pre 3 looks great but I'm kind of tired of this form factor and plastic hardware. With no guarantee of Sprint getting the Pre3 anytime soon, I figured now is a good time to try Windows Phone 7, play with a new toy, and finally use some decent hardware. If Sprint does get a new webOS phone later this year that I want, I'm sure I'll be able to get one on ebay.
    So I called to plop down my pre-order at Radio Shack for the Arrive and the sales-chick says:

You'll be very happy with this phone. It has "Windows webOS".

I wonder how many Windows webOS phones she has sold.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast