1.    #1  
    Sony does it again.

They just announced the NX series of the Clie line.

Here's whats on Sony's pre-order page for the NX70V.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The new Palm Powered™ PEG-NX70V CLIÉ™ handheld is our most powerful handheld yet, featuring the new Palm OS® v. 5.0.*1 as well as an ARM-compliant 200 MHz CPU for enhanced overall performance and exceptional multimedia experience.

PEG-NX70V comes equipped with a built-in digital camera (310,000 effective pixels) for taking digital pictures and video. The camera resolution has been improved to 640 x 480 pixels (VGA) with an option to save the images on Memory Stick® media*2 in JPEG format. Furthermore, PEG-NX70V will record and playback video (MPEG-4) and store it on Memory Stick media.

PEG-NX70V is equipped with a wireless communication slot for adding optional wireless LAN (802.11b) card.*3 Browse the web, check emails and synchronize data wirelessly with your PC via wireless local area network (LAN access point sold separately and internet service provider required).

This new CLIÉ also incorporates a voice recorder feature to record and playback voice memo. Approximately 535 minutes on 128 MB Memory Stick*2 can be recorded in LP model.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nice specs but i wish the wireless was built in.

Sony is pushing the Palm platform the way I like.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Nice specs but i wish the wireless was built in.
    That would probably add another $100 to the retail price, at least. I just don't think SONY would sell a PDA at a $600 and $700 retail price.

Anyway, it seems great, but all it really is, is kind of an updated NR70. No surprise, SONY has done this with all its other models.
    710 -> 760
    300 -> 360
    615 -> 665

However, that 200 MHz processor is niice...and we'll have to see how great OS 5 is...
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    i don't know... it's a very BIG improvement over the NR70,

they've put all the features that the Prism had with the modules into one PDA, no need to purchase modules. The price is hefty, but I've spent $600+ on my Prism with modules and memory upgrade, etc.. and the NX70 will still kick it's ****!

dont' get me wrong, I love my Prism, but since Handspring is no longer in the PDA business, my next purchase will have to be a Sony as they are the only company making anything for the palm os worth buying.
    SONY has always made improvements and new models like this, nothing new.

The NR70 has the same amount of memory and the Memory Stick. Same design, screen, etc. However, the ROM is larger, and the processor much faster. Yet, that's all relative, how much faster will it really run the apps written now? We'll have to wait for apps to take advantage of the ARM processor....That's like...how much faster will a 2.8 GHz P4 preform than a 1 GHz P3 in web browsing and email?

Don't get me wrong, the NX70 is niice...and we should expect this kind of improvement in our handhelds...especially with SONY, so it's a good thing
    nelson.hsieh
  5.    #5  
    Amen brother
    -Mikedemo
    Haha, so you gonna be gettin a NX70 when it comes out Mike?
    nelson.hsieh
    Pretty cool. Be nice to see what real world performance gains look like with current software and software written specifically for OS5.

Odd that Sony has announced a PalmOS 5 device _before_ Palm, Inc.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Palm has announced an OS5 device. It's expected to be released Oct 28th(Gleamed from PIC). The Sony propaganda .pdf mentions Early November as a release date (poke around my links ), but PIC gives it the same release date as Palm's offering.
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    Palm has announced an OS5 device. It's expected to be released Oct 28th(Gleamed from PIC). The Sony propaganda .pdf mentions Early November as a release date (poke around my links ), but PIC gives it the same release date as Palm's offering.
    That makes sense. I jumped on Palm's site and really saw nothing mentioned about it. Obviously Palm would be working on an OS5 device, I just had heard no official release date.

Thanks for the info.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Sure, but can you pre-order the new Palm device with OS5? Not that it really matters since they come out on the same day.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    Haha, so you gonna be gettin a NX70 when it comes out Mike?
    I am tempted. I wish it had more memory. This is a device i have to see in action before I buy. But theres a good chance I will
    -Mikedemo