Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  

HP Veer

iPhone 4

FEATURE COMPARISON
    This compares future HP products with one- and two-year-old Apple products. The iPhone 5, expected to be announced this spring, is not compared.

KEY FEATURES

• webOS: The Pre 3 and Veer webOS experience is unlike anything else.

• Size: The Pre 3 display is similar in size to the iPhone 4 while the iPhone 4 total size at 3.85 in³ is smaller than the Pre 3 (6.94 in³) or Veer (4.2 in³).

• Apps: webOS 2.0 currently has 5,000 apps. iPhone currently has 350,000 but lacks Flash.

• iPhone notifications pop-up and require you to open the app or ignor right away. webOS lets you see and respond later.

• Just Type is similar to similar to iPhone Voice Commands but is just the "Commands" part. HP may be adding the "Voice" part soon as Voice Dial is already announced.

• Synergy will allow developers to sync their apps into contacts and calendar like Android Contact sync. Apple has no ability like this.

• HP ePrint should be similar to iPhone apps like Printopia but Printopia works with almost any network printer and does not require special server software.

• Proximity Transfer allows two devices to transfer information. HP Touch-to-share (TTS) transfers URLs, text, or calls between two HP devices sharing the same profile (Engadget). Bump transfers contacts, songs, photos, events, money, friends, and apps between any two iPhones or Androids. Near Field Communication is expected soon.

• HP Video Chat: should be very similar to iPhone Facetime and Android Qik.

• Folders: iPhone and Android can have 256 apps just 3 taps away.

• Multitasking: See the detailed article comparing Multitasking.

• Cards: When you double tap the iPhone Home button, you can swipe through recent apps but this is not true cards and Stacks.

• Inductive Charging: The Touchstone, Powermat, Enerergizer Wireless Charger, and Duracell myGrid wirelessly (based on Nikola Tesla's induction patents).

• microSD: Neither the HP Palm or Apple phones have a microSD slot.

• CPU Speed, dual cores, and memory are important but so is optimizing the operating system and software. Benchmarks are not reviewed.

For more information, see:
    • HP Can Beat Apple - more resources for these and other technologies.
    • Official iPhone 4 vs. Palm Pre and Pre 2
    • Palm Pixi Plus vs. HP Veer: what's changed? -- Engadget
    • Comparing iPhone 4 vs. HP Pre 3 vs. HP Veer
    • HP Pre3 | HP's official page
    • HP Veer | HP's official page
    • Apple's iPhone 3GS page - Size, weight, battery life, and other specs
    • Apple's iPhone 4 page- Size, weight, battery life, and other specs
    • PDAdb.net Comprehensive Comparison
    • Wikipedia iPhone

Pre 3, Veer, and TouchPad Comparisons:
    • Atrix, Thunderbolt and EVO 3D • iPhone 4 & iPhone 3GS
    • HP TouchPad vs. iPad 2, Xoom, PlayBook, Galaxy Tab

Palm Pre/Pre 2 Comparisons:
    - 4.3" HTC EVO - 4.3" Droid X - 4" Captivate - iPhone 4
    - w/Keyboards: 4" Samsung Epic - 3.7" Droid 2 Global
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/02/2011 at 09:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    You forgot to add Gyroscope:

iPhone4 = Yes

Pre3 = No

Veer = No

and no the compass is not the same thing...
    iPhone4 and most newer Android phones have a compass+gyroscope combination that provides extreme accuracy and movment around virtual gravity
    Last edited by migs; 02/24/2011 at 03:30 PM.
    It would be nice to have the gyroscope, but it's not a deal breaker.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    NFC on the pre3? is that confirmed?
    Pre3 will have voice dial. TTS isn't the same as NFC.

Powermat is a 3rd party product that costs $ and is said to create even more problems with signal strength.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by UnlimiteD3k View Post
    NFC on the pre3? is that confirmed?
    I changed it to say "NFC-like". I will correct the chart tomorrow.

<EDIT>It is now corrected to:

Proximity Transfer allows two devices to transfer information. HP Touch-to-share (TTS) transfers URLs, text, or calls between two HP devices sharing the same profile (Engadget). Bump transfers contacts, songs, photos, events, money, friends, and apps between any two iPhones or Androids. Near Field Communication is expected soon.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 02/25/2011 at 11:05 AM.
    Shouldn't all the Internal memory stats be in GBs rather then MBs?
    Another question. The Voice Control line is rather confusing. Is Just Type a voice command? I thought it wasn't. If so fine. If not wouldn't it make more sense to have a line that says Universal search and one that has voice commands? Since just typing isn't using a voice at all. Again assuming my understanding of just type is correct. I may be wrong, i'm not up on my Pre 3 specs, but i was under the impression that the Pre 3 did not have voice commands. I think that line is either yes or no answer. Maybe separate lines like

• Voice Dial
    • Voice Control
    • Universal text search

point is as far as i understand just type isn't voice at all. correct me if i'm wrong.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 02/24/2011 at 04:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    It would be nice to have the gyroscope, but it's not a deal breaker.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Does seem like a big deal until developers that port games or apps from iphone4/android and have to explain to pre3 owners why the apps are not as precise/accurate as thiers...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Pre3 will have voice dial. TTS isn't the same as NFC.

Powermat is a 3rd party product that costs $ and is said to create even more problems with signal strength.
    Will the Pre3 and Veer come bundled with Touchstones? I thought that the Touchstone was to remain an available accessory. If the Touchstone is included that would be huge. I am showing the Touchstone and Powermat as accessories.

Also could you give the link that shows that the Powermat reduces signal strength? [Edit] I have search forums, blogs, and web pages trying to locate your source but can't find it.

As to VoiceDial, I have read that webOS will get this. The microphone is already there in the Pre 2 as well. Do we know when this will be added to webOS?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 02/24/2011 at 05:27 PM.
    Amazing to see that the voulme of iphone 4 is less than that of the smallest cell phone veer
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Touch-to-share is an NFC-like technology to transfer information much as the Bump app transfers contacts, songs, photos, events, money, friends, etc.
    Currently it's a technology to share information with yourself, you have to be using the same profile on both devices. That's very different from Bump.
    nice point

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Will the Pre3 and Veer come bundled with Touchstones? I thought that the Touchstone was to remain an available accessory. If the Touchstone is included that would be huge. I am showing the Touchstone and Powermat as accessories.
    nice rebuttal. i forgot that it didn't come included.

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Shouldn't there be a column for the iPhone 5 since that will be out in the Summer also?
    don't see how you can include an iphone 5 until it's actually announced. You'd have little but speculation to put in the boxes.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Shouldn't all the Internal memory stats be in GBs rather then MBs?
    Another question. The Voice Control line is rather confusing. Is Just Type a voice command?...
    I won't be able to fix the GB units until ttomorrow.

Voice Control was hot in 2009. Android had Voice Actions a year ago. Just Type is an important step and we have heard the rumor again that HP may be close to offering full voice actions as well. It was just a front page article.

<Edit> MB corrected to GB. And to make it more clear that Just Type is an important step towards being able to offer Voice Commands, I clarified the OP:

• Just Type is similar to similar to iPhone Voice Commands but is just the "Commands" part. HP may be adding the "Voice" part soon as Voice Dial is already announced.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 02/25/2011 at 11:11 AM.
    I doubt Palm will give the pucks away, although I think they are stupid not to. But with the pucks easy to find under $20 and made by palm, vs powermat being more money and not from apple, I just don't think it's fair to credit the iphone for having the feature.

in terms of signal issues, I say that based on seeing it happen with a couole of friends, and what I read about extended batteries and anything that wraps around (covers) the phone with metal, batteries, etc. Nothing scientific. Here is an example: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=699275
    if you want to include features that come from third parties, add battery life the the 3800mAh battery.
    I would expect the iPhone 5 comparison to be more competitive since it will likely be released around the same timeframe as the Pre3 unless HP delivers early.

I haven't read much about the upcoming iPhone but I'd expect something pretty substantial to compete with Android devices (and the Pre3 I suppose). In general I think Apple likes to be an innovation leader instead of follower so we'll see what's in store...
    I don't know if having a carrier is a feature but it helps..
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Pre 3 also has video stabilization (while the iPhones do not), and webOS 2.1 adds voice dialing...While more voice controls look en route (Voice controls in the GPS for the Pre 3, for example).

Also, the iPhone 3GS runs at 600MHz and the iPhone 4 runs at 800MHz. 1420 mAh battery in the iPhone 4, and a 1219 mAh battery is in the 3GS.
    Also, the iPhone 4 has a 1.3 MP front facing camera, better than VGA.

Pre 3 wins in display (in.) and processor speed.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  19.    #19  
    I doubt Palm will give the pucks away, although I think they are stupid not to. But with the pucks easy to find under $20 and made by palm, vs powermat being more money and not from apple, I just don't think it's fair to credit the iphone for having the feature.
    The iPhone PowerMat/back/charger kits are about $20 on eBay too. New kits on Amazon are $44, about the same price as a Touchstone/back/charger kit. Have Palm and Apple ever have made their own chargers or phones?

in terms of signal issues, I say that based on seeing it happen with a couole of friends, and what I read about extended batteries and anything that wraps around (covers) the phone with metal, batteries, etc. Nothing scientific. Here is an example: InCase Power Slider Case Causing Signal Loss - MacRumors Forums
    That's not about a PowerMat, right? That's someone having a problem with a no-name battery?

if you want to include features that come from third parties, add battery life the the 3800mAh battery.
    I can add the links for the aftermarket Veer and Pre3 batteries if you like. Who are they from? I included inductive chargers because they are being hyped. 100 years after Tesla's original patents, Energizer and Duracell are turning them mainstream.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I won't be able to fix the GB units until ttomorrow.

Voice Control was hot in 2009. Android had Voice Actions a year ago. Just Type is an important step and we have heard the rumor again that HP may be close to offering full voice actions as well. It was just a front page article.

I wasn't trying to say just type wasn't useful. just that it's not voice anything. And thus deserves it's own category, separate from voice stuff.

And specifically voice commands are not the same as voice dial or text based searches. Take android. I can use voice commands to say "navigate to Grand Canyon" and it will run the navigation app, plot the route to the grand canyon and you're ready to go. i'm not sure but i didn't think just type did that. Even so, again, it's not voice. And the point of voice is to not use your hands, for example when you're driving. Voice commands are like hands free texting. You say, "text so and so and verbalize the text." no using of you're hands just the voice. so my only point was i don't think they are interchangeable since one is definitely not voice. I think they each deserve their own line, voice dial, voice command, universal search. Just my two cents. Hey it's not my chart. It's you're ball game man. it's not a complaint about the chart or anything. just a friendly comment. Hope you don't take it as a personal attack. It's not remotely a big deal.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast