Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60
Like Tree2Likes
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I updated to add ignore: The point is that iPhone does not let you just keep working and leave the notification for later.
    Hmmm. I understand the in your face is annoying and webos handles this better, but what about the fact that applications with notifications have a red indicator appear alerting you there is something there to respond to, like Mail, SMS, banking Apps, etc? Oh well, it's not that important. Thanks for the chart!
  2.    #42  
    I do love the LED notification lights. Going back to Treo's and a Clie...

    Is there an iPhone app to use the camera flash for notifications like you can with webOS and Android? That is such a great feature.

    How many and what colors of LED does the BB Torch use?

    How many and what colors of LED do the Pre 3 and Veer have?
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I do love the LED notification lights. Going back to Treo's and a Clie...

    Is there an iPhone app to use the camera flash for notifications like you can with webOS and Android? That is such a great feature.

    How many and what colors of LED does the BB Torch use?

    How many and what colors of LED do the Pre 3 and Veer have?
    What app uses the camera flash for notifications in webOS? I would love to see that one.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    What app uses the camera flash for notifications in webOS? I would love to see that one.
    There was an app around 1.2 or so on rooted phones someone had emailed me. I just went looking for it but could not find it. I think it just toggled the flashlight service on a notification.

    In an office cubicle you may not notice a little colored LED gently blinking but you will notice the camera LED even if it is laying LED down on a table.

    There are lots of camera LED notification apps for Android. I just did a search and found that there are also iPhone apps like biteSMS (video) and MobileNotifier.
  5. tallarob's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    #45  
    Much to my sadness, my Pre Plus died the other day. I was hoping to wait until the Pre 3 or maybe even the Pre 4 (?) before I upgraded. In particular, I wanted to see if HP could make WebOS a major player. Unfortunately, the demise of my Pre forced my hand.

    At first I thought I would go ahead and pick up a Pre2, but I just felt like it was too much the same as what I already had and just couldn't bring myself to plunk down $150 for something so similar.

    I debated between the Samsung Fascinate and the iPhone 4. After much internal debate, I went with the iPhone.

    I really miss the elegance and the intuitiveness of the Pre, but there is a lot I like about the iPhone as well. First of all, it works really well. It is fast and smooth and the GPS works like a charm. It has a zillion apps - really too many to even consider. I do like a lot of the "specialty" apps that the Pre does not have available, like PGA Tour, Starbucks, Travelocity, etc. The scanner apps are pretty cool as well. The battery also lasts a lot longer!

    On the negative side, I hate having to always close one app to open another. I also miss being able to swipe backwards in an app to return to the previous screen. I really miss the "Just Type" feature of the Pre. To send a text, I have to:
    1. Turn the phone on
    2. Swipe to unlock
    3. Go to contacts
    4. Locate a name (Cannot use 1st initial of 1st name and 1st of last name so have to type a few more letters)
    5. Select a name
    6. Scroll down to where it says messages
    7. Type my message

    On my Pre, I would simply crack it open, type first name initial, 1st 2 letters of last name, select SMS and type my message - much better and faster. With iPhone, I can make it a little faster if I have someone saved as favorite, but still not as fast.

    I also really miss having the notifications present at all times. From what I can tell, you get notified once with the iPhone and if you forget to respond, you're out of luck. Not only that, but the notification is kind of ugly. I really miss my "Baseball Live" app.

    Having now experience both phones, I really believe if HP can come out with hardware that really works (GPS anyone?), get developers on board with more apps and market things properly, they can make this work.

    I'm stuck with my iPhone for 20 months now, but I'm hoping in December, 2012 to be using my new Pre 6 phone!
  6. #46  
    iOS 5 may fix some notification shortcomings. It's claimed Apple is working in a better notification system. For now, get an app that allows multiple reminders. Also texts have multiple reminders if you set it to that.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7. mpfef's Avatar
    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by tallarob View Post
    Much to my sadness, my Pre Plus died the other day. I was hoping to wait until the Pre 3 or maybe even the Pre 4 (?) before I upgraded. In particular, I wanted to see if HP could make WebOS a major player. Unfortunately, the demise of my Pre forced my hand.

    At first I thought I would go ahead and pick up a Pre2, but I just felt like it was too much the same as what I already had and just couldn't bring myself to plunk down $150 for something so similar.

    I debated between the Samsung Fascinate and the iPhone 4. After much internal debate, I went with the iPhone.

    To send a text, I have to:
    1. Turn the phone on
    2. Swipe to unlock
    3. Go to contacts
    4. Locate a name (Cannot use 1st initial of 1st name and 1st of last name so have to type a few more letters)
    5. Select a name
    6. Scroll down to where it says messages
    7. Type my message
    Not exactly true, you can use spotlight instead of the contacts app, and that will at least combine steps 3 & 4.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by tallarob View Post
    To send a text, I have to:
    1. Turn the phone on
    2. Swipe to unlock
    3. Go to contacts
    4. Locate a name (Cannot use 1st initial of 1st name and 1st of last name so have to type a few more letters)
    5. Select a name
    6. Scroll down to where it says messages
    7. Type my message

    On my Pre, I would simply crack it open, type first name initial, 1st 2 letters of last name, select SMS and type my message - much better and faster. With iPhone, I can make it a little faster if I have someone saved as favorite, but still not as fast.
    I don't want to be one of those "you're doing it wrong" people, but you're doing it wrong. In addition to mpfef's method (using Spotlight to find your contact), you can just open the Messages app, hit the New Message button on the upper right, then type the first letter of your contact's name.

    verwon likes this.
  9. hhy2k's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I won't be able to fix the GB units until ttomorrow.

    Voice Control was hot in 2009. Android had Voice Actions a year ago.

    My Ericsson T28 had voice dial in 1999.... I never used it... Nobody did...
  10. #50  
    Palm hit it of of the park two years ago with webos and everybody has been busy playing catch up. Look how many times when they review other platform's updates they say just like webos. Its the greatest operating system that nobody cares about.

    So my girlfriend updated her iphone to the latest version and I wanted to see what they did. Its is still a pain to use. I pulled down the top bar thing and to dismiss it was not half as easy as it should be, kinda had to walk it back up. Maybe neither one of us knew how to use it, maybe an iphone user could let me know.

    And the steps one has to go through to launch bluetooth, shhhh. In webos I have a choice of the top bar or just type, both of which are faster than iphone.

    I was thinking that seri thing would solve these issues by search and launch, but I read that it doesnt do any of that; and even if it did I have come to realize that there is something unnatural about talking to a phone when not actually talking to someone. I was jealous of voice dial for a long time, and now that I have it I never use it.

    I keep hearing that iphone is so simple and easy to use, but I don't see it.
    tonyw likes this.
  11. #51  
    kinda off topic but werent you the one that asked about deleting individual calls in the call history on another thread? and i think i mentioned about jailbreaking?

    if so, fyi, the new version allows you to delete individual calls in your history.

    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Palm hit it of of the park two years ago with webos and everybody has been busy playing catch up. Look how many times when they review other platform's updates they say just like webos. Its the greatest operating system that nobody cares about.

    So my girlfriend updated her iphone to the latest version and I wanted to see what they did. Its is still a pain to use. I pulled down the top bar thing and to dismiss it was not half as easy as it should be, kinda had to walk it back up. Maybe neither one of us knew how to use it, maybe an iphone user could let me know.

    And the steps one has to go through to launch bluetooth, shhhh. In webos I have a choice of the top bar or just type, both of which are faster than iphone.

    I was thinking that seri thing would solve these issues by search and launch, but I read that it doesnt do any of that; and even if it did I have come to realize that there is something unnatural about talking to a phone when not actually talking to someone. I was jealous of voice dial for a long time, and now that I have it I never use it.

    I keep hearing that iphone is so simple and easy to use, but I don't see it.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    kinda off topic but werent you the one that asked about deleting individual calls in the call history on another thread? and i think i mentioned about jailbreaking?

    if so, fyi, the new version allows you to delete individual calls in your history.
    Yes that was me, thanks.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I do love the LED notification lights. Going back to Treo's and a Clie...

    Is there an iPhone app to use the camera flash for notifications like you can with webOS and Android? That is such a great feature.

    How many and what colors of LED does the BB Torch use?

    How many and what colors of LED do the Pre 3 and Veer have?
    The iPhone one that uses the camera flash is in accessibility options, no app, or jb needed. Of course, you have to have the phone facedown to see them....
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  14. #54  
    Wouldn't the flash light be extremely bright?
  15. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    So my girlfriend updated her iphone to the latest version and I wanted to see what they did. Its is still a pain to use. I pulled down the top bar thing and to dismiss it was not half as easy as it should be, kinda had to walk it back up. Maybe neither one of us knew how to use it, maybe an iphone user could let me know.
    Actually, it is quite simple. swipe it down and swipe it back up. It is fairly useful and I think they got the idea--well it kind of reminds me of-from exhibition as it shows the weather, stocks, and notifications. The difference is it isn't there all the time.

    I definitely like webOS better, but I made the switch. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to not just be able to swipe away a card you no longer need. Some have back buttons, some things have home buttons, some...I just start at trying to figure out how to go back a page or get rid of the page I am on. Apple made a great phone/product, but I really miss webOS.

    AND, my 3G speed on Sprint since I got the iPhone has never exceeded .3Mbps and I travel the country/world. I even exchanged for a new iPhone and I get the same results. Apps are great but using the internet has been a bad experience for me.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Actually, it is quite simple. swipe it down and swipe it back up. It is fairly useful and I think they got the idea--well it kind of reminds me of-from exhibition as it shows the weather, stocks, and notifications. The difference is it isn't there all the time.

    I definitely like webOS better, but I made the switch. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to not just be able to swipe away a card you no longer need. Some have back buttons, some things have home buttons, some...I just start at trying to figure out how to go back a page or get rid of the page I am on. Apple made a great phone/product, but I really miss webOS.

    AND, my 3G speed on Sprint since I got the iPhone has never exceeded .3Mbps and I travel the country/world. I even exchanged for a new iPhone and I get the same results. Apps are great but using the internet has been a bad experience for me.
    Yes, I played with the new iphone at the sprint store yesterday, I got the hang of the dropdown thing..swipe up from the bottom.

    Its no webos. We have the toggle action going plus just tap outside of the drop down. The redundancy in webos cant be beat, so many times more than one way to accomplish a task.

    Also, I played with the siri thing, its OK but limited. I said launch wifi and it said no hotspot available, so it looks like it can do that. Then I said launch bluetooth and it said sorry not allowed to do that. Cant remember what happened when I said safari. The search iphone function is a joke, looks like it searches some things, but just type its not.

    Cant imagine giving up my pre2 for no iphone, its not ready yet, overrated if you ask me.
    and no settings inside the app have to go to the setting menu and scroll until you find the app and adjust settings, shhh
    Last edited by laingman; 11/13/2011 at 09:06 PM.
  17. #57  
    well, sounds like you've played with it a couple of times at least like your friends phone i think you mentioned before and found its not for ya.

    the one thing you have to accept with any other phone... is that it's not webos to give yourselve a chance to like it. who knows... after 3-4-5+ more times you find yourself getting use to it and new uses... i think if i gave android a fair shot i might like it more... but i dont, lol.

    i just tried 'load'ing up precentral on siri but just brings me to a google search with precentral found. never tried loading until you mentioned. would be nice but didnt think of it.

    there are other cool stuff though...

    i do like quick reminders... 'remind me to... whatever... when i get to work tomorrow.'

    or does come in handy to press on a email or text and dictate your response and send and be able to keep your eye on the road.

    other stuff.

    if you wanna keep a supply of webos devices to keep ya, check out my post on the pixi forum and pick yourself up a few unlocked pixi's cheap.

    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Yes, I played with the new iphone at the sprint store yesterday, I got the hang of the dropdown thing..swipe up from the bottom.

    Its no webos. We have the toggle action going plus just tap outside of the drop down. The redundancy in webos cant be beat, so many times more than one way to accomplish a task.

    Also, I played with the siri thing, its OK but limited. I said launch wifi and it said no hotspot available, so it looks like it can do that. Then I said launch bluetooth and it said sorry not allowed to do that. Cant remember what happened when I said safari. The search iphone function is a joke, looks like it searches some things, but just type its not.

    Cant imagine giving up my pre2 for no iphone, its not ready yet, overrated if you ask me.
    and no settings inside the app have to go to the setting menu and scroll until you find the app and adjust settings, shhh
  18. #58  
    So lets see

    Switch to iphone and gain:

    1. ability to say I have an iphone
    2. icloud, that seems pretty cool
    3. siri, cool but doubt I would use it much
    4. apps and more apps


    Switch to iphone an lose:

    1. Flash, cant listen to my pirate stations that use ustream (maybe a fix I dont know)
    2. Physical keyboard
    3. touchstone ( I have six, haven't plugged in my phone in years)

    4. Free tether. Cant live without, I heard the sprint rep saying its $30 dollars per month to tether. Dont know if there is a free option and if Spint could find out

    5. Light bar for notifications ( I saw them talking about using iphone camera flash and having to leave the iphone up side down, so funny

    6. The glorious webos: Multitasking,Cards, stacks, notifications, gestures...etc
  19. #59  
    donm527, Thanks for the mention about the pixie, but I already bought a pre2 for backup, not ready to deal with a new OS just yet. I might pick up a pixie for parts, anybody knows if it uses the same speaker as the pre?

    So what dont I like about webos?
    It opens cards to the right of the one in focus. It drives me crazy, I am always moving the newest one to the left. Thats what I want, for it to open new cards to the left of everything, unless its a stack that fine ho it does that.

    The way it is now, depending on whats on the screen the new one could be any where so there is no order. I have resorted to using a workaround of moving everything to the right so the newest one will be second since it cant be first like I want it to be
    Last edited by laingman; 11/13/2011 at 09:47 PM.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    snip...I pulled down the top bar thing and to dismiss it was not half as easy as it should be, kinda had to walk it back up. Maybe neither one of us knew how to use it, maybe an iphone user could let me know.
    You flick down on status bar, you flick up on bottom.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions