Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 60
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    ...Also, the iPhone 4 has a 1.3 MP front facing camera, better than VGA.

    Pre 3 wins in display (in.) and processor speed.
    Could you give us the link that says that the iPhone 4 front camera is 1.3 MP? I have found dozens of sources but they all say that the iPhone 4 front camera is VGA 640x320.

    As to the Pre 3 display wins against the iPhone 4 Retina display... While the screen sizes are almost identical, the iPhone 4 has nearly double the pixel resolution: Pre 3 at 800x480 = 384,000 pixels vs. the iPhone 4 at 3.5" 960x640 = 614,400 pixels.

    How do you feel that the Pre 3 display wins against the iPhone 4 display?
  2.    #22  
    Thank you for your feedback. Please keep it coming! I corrected and updated the opening post to address many great points that were raised.

    The MB errors are fixed. **blush**

    The opening post is clarified to show that the 2009 iPhone Voice Commands includes two subsets: "Voice" and "Commands". Just Type addresses the "Commands" part. There was a front page article saying that HP may be adding the "Voice" part soon. Voice Dial is already announced. The same Speech Recognition engine needed for Voice Dial could be used to give the remaining Voice Commands.

    NFC is changed to more accurately say Proximity Transfer as neither TTS or Bump are using Near Field Communication. I noted that Touch-to-share will be limited to HP devices sharing the same profile while Bump works with any two iPhones or Androids.

    The wording on Inductive Charging is clarified. As noted in a previous post, this dates back to Nikola Tesla's induction patents and others from 100 years ago. The HP Touchstone and iPhone Powermat were good accessories but it will be the Enerergizer and Duracell brands that will bring inductive charging to the mainstream. I am still looking for a link that shows that any of the inductive charging products reduce signal strength.

    Please keep the ideas coming. If you have any links for information to add or correct, please share them.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Could you give us the link that says that the iPhone 4 front camera is 1.3 MP? I have found dozens of sources but they all say that the iPhone 4 front camera is VGA 640x320.
    Yeah, the front camera is definitely 0.3MP. I just took a picture with it to verify.
  4. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Could you give us the link that says that the iPhone 4 front camera is 1.3 MP? I have found dozens of sources but they all say that the iPhone 4 front camera is VGA 640x320.

    As to the Pre 3 display wins against the iPhone 4 Retina display... While the screen sizes are almost identical, the iPhone 4 has nearly double the pixel resolution: Pre 3 at 800x480 = 384,000 pixels vs. the iPhone 4 at 3.5" 960x640 = 614,400 pixels.

    How do you feel that the Pre 3 display wins against the iPhone 4 display?
    I was mistaken, the iPhone 4's camera is VGA.
    The screen's larger in inches, not the amount of pixels in it.
    And RAM is in MB, not GB.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    ...The screen's larger in inches, not the amount of pixels in it.
    The specs that are clearly better are highlighted in green. When the phones are side-by-side at Best Buy, no one will be able to see an eight hundredths of an inch difference. For this same reason, I did not note that the total volume of the Veer is bigger than the Pixi. They will notice that the Pre 3 will have nearly half the pixels and will be nearly twice the volume.

    The iPhone 5 is rumored to be 4" and the iPhone Nano smaller but that needs to be a different topic.

    And RAM is in MB, not GB.
    Thanks. <Edit> Fixed.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 02/26/2011 at 11:54 AM.
  6.    #26  
    Opening post updated with links for other comparisons.
  7. #27  
    It's a given that the volume will be more considering the sliding physical keyboard, this way typing doesn't take up half the screen. The veer may have slightly more volume than the iPhone4, but will be more pocketable. Volume doesn't always translate into how an object fits in a pocket. Length of a phone in a pocket prevents one from squatting or bending over. it only stands to reason. I carry my Pre- in my jeans front pocket all the time, my nephew doesn't carry his iphone4 in his front pocket.
  8. #28  
    I'm kinda surprised about RIM. Apple has a dominant lead, and Motorola and HTC are a hair above average. Palm is below average but higher than Samsung and RIM which really isn't too bad!
  9. #29  
    I think the ** damental problem with this thread is that by the time pre is released, iphine 5 will be around the corner. So it would be more fair to compare then. Rather than compare hardware that is almost one year old to one that has not been released yet. Don't you think? The ultimate winner will be pre just because it has superior software. :-)
  10. #30  
    ...snip
    KEY FEATURES

    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    webOS: The Pre 3 and Veer webOS experience is unlike anything else.
    Is this still true with the Playbook in the mix?

    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    iPhone notifications pop-up and require you to open the app right away. webOS lets you see and respond later.
    This is not true. You can open the app or ignore.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    This is not true. You can open the app or ignore.
    I updated to add ignore:
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    iPhone notifications pop-up and require you to open the app or ignor right away. webOS lets you see and respond later.
    The point is that iPhone does not let you just keep working and leave the notification for later.
  12. #32  
    The flip side of that is even though that may be annoying for minor tasks, etc. depending on what the notification is, you may not want to "leave it for later". "In your face" notifications have actually reminded me of imporatnt things I needed to do. The iOS method can be viewed both ways.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The flip side of that is even though that may be annoying for minor tasks, etc. depending on what the notification is, you may not want to "leave it for later". "In your face" notifications have actually reminded me of imporatnt things I needed to do. The iOS method can be viewed both ways.
    ??? You don't have to ignore our notifications or leave them for later. Nor would you ever miss them--unless you choose to miss them. I don't quite understand your post as it is the 1st time I have heard anyone stick up for the "in your face" notifications. As much as I loved my Treo in the day, those "in your face" notifications were the most annoying thing about the phone IMO.
  14. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #34  
    I think the larger total volume of the Pre should be in Green (vs red) because it is due to a physical keyboard which I like & is one of the primary reasons I bought the phone. I also don't think the Veer/Pixi screen size should be in red because the people who purchase those phones PREFER the smaller size. What makes bigger necessarily better? I guess you have decided a larger volume (Evo) is bad and smaller screens are bad as well. I think those things need to be compared but are subjective/personal preferences whereas, resolution, processor speed, camera pixels, etc. are less subjective to personal likes/dislikes.

    I also don't like that you choose to decide if something is just barely better, it doesn't need to be highlighted green--talking about that .08" of screen real estate on the Pre 3.. If this is about specs, make it about specs, not about something you think people won't notice.

    Also, why isn't the 1.4GHz processor of the Pre in green?

    I know you tried to include the inductive charging, but as long as you are going to include it, I don't think their is any question the touchstone is better than the mat as it ties into other software. IMO, if included, it should be in green. There is no way these are equal IMO.

    Thanks for the effort in putting up these charts.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    I think the larger total volume of the Pre should be in Green (vs red) because it is due to a physical keyboard which I like & is one of the primary reasons I bought the phone. I also don't think the Veer/Pixi screen size should be in red because the people who purchase those phones PREFER the smaller size. What makes bigger necessarily better? I guess you have decided a larger volume (Evo) is bad and smaller screens are bad as well. I think those things need to be compared but are subjective/personal preferences whereas, resolution, processor speed, camera pixels, etc. are less subjective to personal likes/dislikes.

    I also don't like that you choose to decide if something is just barely better, it doesn't need to be highlighted green--talking about that .08" of screen real estate on the Pre 3.. If this is about specs, make it about specs, not about something you think people won't notice.

    Also, why isn't the 1.4GHz processor of the Pre in green?

    I know you tried to include the inductive charging, but as long as you are going to include it, I don't think their is any question the touchstone is better than the mat as it ties into other software. IMO, if included, it should be in green. There is no way these are equal IMO.

    Thanks for the effort in putting up these charts.
    This ^ ... I noticed all of this myself.. Dunno .. Milo is usually on the ball when it comes to these things.. But here he was off.. Powermat isnt even an apple product!! You cant include third party accessories.. !!

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    ??? You don't have to ignore our notifications or leave them for later. Nor would you ever miss them--unless you choose to miss them. I don't quite understand your post as it is the 1st time I have heard anyone stick up for the "in your face" notifications. As much as I loved my Treo in the day, those "in your face" notifications were the most annoying thing about the phone IMO.
    You're not a procrastinator, I see.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You're not a procrastinator, I see.
    Lol.. You can simply leave the notification in the notification bar, if you want to procrastinate


    EDIT: What happened to purple/blue text??? Too late???

    Double Edit: something wrong with my eyes or something cuz now all your text is blue.. Must get sleep... But cant... Sprintifying a pre2

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  18. #38  
    No I mean the "in your face" notification actually gets me to do something. Being bugged works for me.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    No I mean the "in your face" notification actually gets me to do something. Being bugged works for me.
    But webos has both.. The unobtrusive IN YOUR FACE notifications.. They popup and you can choose to act or not..

    iOS if you ignore youll forget.. I know your saying that bc of that you act on it now... Bah.. Round and round we go


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  20. #40  
    In certain task and calendar apps, you can set multiple reminders. Believe me, I need them.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions