View Poll Results: What would it take for you to buy the Touchpad over any other tablet?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Price of $701 - $800

0 0%
  • Price of $601 - $700

4 3.60%
  • Price of $501 - $600

16 14.41%
  • Price of $401 - $500

27 24.32%
  • Price of $301 - $400

12 10.81%
  • Price of $201 - $300

13 11.71%
  • A Combo of the Touchpad and Pre 3 on your carrier

26 23.42%
  • A Combo of the Touchpad and Veer on your carrier

1 0.90%
  • A Combo of the Touchpad and Pre 2 on your carrier

0 0%
  • Something else (please explain)

12 10.81%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Assuming the Touchpad doesn't change at all in specs and releases in summer (let's say around the same time as the iPad 2 and numerous android devices), what would it take for you to buy the Touchpad over the other devices?
    Comparable pricing is all it would take for me.

However that carrier combo sounds like an interesting marketing match-up if done right.
    I am extremely impressed by what I have seen and I am beginning to get over the lack of gesture area. (As an aside I think there needs to be a way for developers to specify the back, forward, and meta tap gestures and have them exist as gesture area swipes on the phones and as multitouch gestures on the touchpad through Enyo without having to switch back and forth)

If the price is right I am not interested in Android or the iPad so this would be fantastic. I am just going to assume that most of the big name apps I want will be there (Kindle was the biggest for me and that is already confirmed).
    Palm Devices: Palm IIIe -> Palm IIIxe -> CLIÉ N760C -> Tungsten T3 -> Pre Plus
    If they would release the product, I'd buy it. Simple as that.

I just want the wifi version, not 3g/4g nonsense by carriers.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Fundamentally Apps - I really like the tablet and I perfer the GUI to what's on the market currently but I'd need to some decent value added apps to make it worth my while.

Oh and I'd prefer they'd bake in proper NFC support than TTS which is of no use at all to me.
    For me, I would definitely get this if it had dlna and if tts could also stream other data like docs, pics music, etc. If tts can do what nfc can the better, proprietary freq would make that much better for security. Then again I don't know the specifics of tts.

For the most part, I want the glossy plastic back changed with the soft touch back as the pre and veer.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Assuming the Touchpad doesn't change at all in specs and releases in summer (let's say around the same time as the iPad 2 and numerous android devices), what would it take for you to buy the Touchpad over the other devices?
    A comprehensive and dedicated content store controlled by HP, and not a third-party.

A price not too far above what a Galaxy Tab costs on carriers now.

Music content creation software and hardware interfaces (even USB ones).

Basically, a completely different developer ecosystem than they have now.
    Sprint + Pre3 + Touchpad = dent in bank account!!
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    For it to be on the market and ready to purchase is all it would take.
    All I need is for it to be available for purchase, and for me to be working so I can be responsible. After that, gonna buy one as my annual toy purchase.
    It will take a lot for me to leave the HP/Palm right now, due to the fact that I have invested a lot of money into apps, but at the same time it would be the lack of apps, that will force me to leave also. It's like a love, hate relationship for me at this point.
    PSN
    Twitter
    Palm Centro - Palm/HP Pre+ w/webos 2.1.0
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    If they would release the product, I'd buy it. Simple as that.

I just want the wifi version, not 3g/4g nonsense by carriers.
    Especially if I can tether it to me Pre X. Since I rarely don't have my phone on me or close by, I don't really see needing two devices on my carrier's network, when one will work fine. (I already tether laptops to my work blackberry when I need a connection, I'm not forking out a bunch of money for a broadband modem and the extra data plan.)
    Dont want the Tablet to be tied to any carrier gimme the wifi version and PUT the dang phone on Sprint =)
    A 7-8" screen size.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Sprint (3G/4G)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I don't think I understand the question. The iPad 2 release is imminent. The Xoom is already out. PlayBook is right around the corner. By the time the TP is out, pretty much everything we have heard about will be on a second software rev.

Are you asking this of people who are not already invested in WebOS? If this question is for the typical WebOS user on this board, I would think the question would be, "What would it take for you NOT to buy the TP over a competitor?

If you are asking this of those who are more inclined towards competitors, I don't think price will sway anyone to buy the TP over, say, an iPad 2. It is not about price. From what we know and what we can reasonably guess, the TP would be a step down from their pad of choice.

Nothing would make an iOS user want a TP over an iPad, not to mention an iPad 2. The same goes double for BB users. The only apps available for HC devices are Android phone apps. Android users lose even that level of compatibility if they buy a TP. Without a thriving software and hardware ecosystem and peer group buy-in, the TP is simply not a cross-platform play at any price.

That may have been different in a world where the TP led the pad revolution. Now, people who have already chosen a phone platform have a pad, or multiple pads to choose from. No one has to change religions to celebrate the holidays. Everyone has their own version.

Despite what many have said about the uselessness of the iPad formfactor running something other than Windows, I doubt there is much HP could do to keep the average WebOS user on this board from buying one if they have the scratch.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Nothing would make an iOS user want a TP over an iPad, not to mention an iPad 2. The same goes double for BB users. The only apps available for HC devices are Android phone apps. Android users lose even that level of compatibility if they buy a TP. Without a thriving software and hardware ecosystem and peer group buy-in, the TP is simply not a cross-platform play at any price.
    Not sure about BB users. The BB tablet is really a very different device from a BB smartphone and its not as if people were buying those for the apps. Right now an iPad is a very useful companion to a Blackberry. The BB is a great phone and email/messaging device but it sucks at everything else.

I think that in the tablet market there will only be two major platforms, iOS and Android. Basically, almost the same as the smartphone market but without RIM as a major third platform.
    Right, but the PB has a tie-in to BB phones, making it an accessory to the ecosystem. The iPad is cross-platform because it was the only tablet to choose, without hooks necessitating a Mac or an iPhone. It became a stand-alone device for about a third of the buyers, according to some surveys. Android has some cross-platform appeal if you have bought into Google services: mail, docs, etc.

I do not see the cross-platform or stand-alone play for the TP. It is a bit of an island with no broad ecosystem of apps, movies, entertainment, creative, and business options. It's most visible feature requires a WebOS phone that is yet unreleased. HP has to concentrate on making this a cross-platform play. Right now, it's not.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Isn't windows the platform it's going to be crossed with? (since they announced today that Webos on the desktop is is going to be simply a bolt-on to transfer media).

The phones to me look to be an afterthought.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Fundamentally Apps - I really like the tablet and I perfer the GUI to what's on the market currently but I'd need to some decent value added apps to make it worth my while.

Oh and I'd prefer they'd bake in proper NFC support than TTS which is of no use at all to me.
    you want NFC in your tablet, i mean its mobile and all, but will you really carry it w/ you everywhere like you would your phone, and would you find it handy to pay for thins w/ ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast