View Poll Results: What would it take for you to buy the Touchpad over any other tablet?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Price of $701 - $800

    0 0%
  • Price of $601 - $700

    4 3.60%
  • Price of $501 - $600

    16 14.41%
  • Price of $401 - $500

    27 24.32%
  • Price of $301 - $400

    12 10.81%
  • Price of $201 - $300

    13 11.71%
  • A Combo of the Touchpad and Pre 3 on your carrier

    26 23.42%
  • A Combo of the Touchpad and Veer on your carrier

    1 0.90%
  • A Combo of the Touchpad and Pre 2 on your carrier

    0 0%
  • Something else (please explain)

    12 10.81%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58
  1. #41  
    GM, just to be clear, are you saying you would not buy the TP at any price? If so, how is your answer any different from mine?
    Last edited by dandbj13; 02/25/2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: misdirected
  2. #42  
    I would buy it (and almost certainly will) mostly because of webOS itself. WebOS for me is a failure as smartphone operating system since Palm's and now HP's engineers took it in different way from my idea of good mobile phone OS. But, webOS looks to me as ideal tablet OS. Best in market today, beating any other available OS. It is the only OS that looks like is developed for tablet form factor and tablet philosophy. All other OSes are plain modifications created to run on other platforms. I've used Ipad, and it was great till Apple introduced multitasking to it. Now it is not same device as it used to be. It's a sluggish mess now with sorry excuse for multitasking.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    GM, just to be clear, are you saying you would not buy the TP at any price? If so, how is your answer any different from mine?
    First off, the poll isn't just price and you know it so I'm not going to play that game.

    Second, I don't plan on buying one because they're not yet making it in the size I want. Not because it's not a Galaxy Tab and I'm a Galaxy Tab user.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    First off, the poll isn't just price and you know it so I'm not going to play that game.

    Second, I don't plan on buying one because they're not yet making it in the size I want. Not because it's not a Galaxy Tab and I'm a Galaxy Tab user.
    Sorry, the poll is about price. Not playing any game. I don't know how else to interpret it.

    As for your answer, it is the same as mine. You just think you have a better reason for yours. You have tried to reduce my reasons to fanaticism. Nice. aPhans, as parsons would say, are just mindless fans, while everyone else makes thoughtful, well-reasoned decisions.

    Still doesn't change the fact that neither of us would buy one at any price. This is getting good. Any other non-WebOS users want to answer the OP's question.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Sorry, the poll is about price. Not playing any game. I don't know how else to interpret it.
    Seriously? The poll asks what it would take for you to choose a Touchpad over other tablets. That could be price (that's 6 of the possible poll answers). It could be an "ecosystem" offering where you can get a webOS phone on your carrier with the tablet (that's 3 of the possible poll answers). Or, *gasp* it could be something else completely...something that has nothing to do with price or phone combos (that's the last of the poll answers).

    If it was just about price, then the poll would only have price-related answers.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

    As for your answer, it is the same as mine.
    What would it take for you to buy the Touchpad over any other tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

    Nothing would make an iOS user want a TP over an iPad, not to mention an iPad 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    A 7-8" screen size.
  7. #47  
    Right, but I still don't see the fundamental difference. The TP doesn't come in a 7 or 8 inch size. Therefore, there is no discount or bundle that would entice you to buy it in favor of something else.

    I would not buy it because it has nothing to compare to the iPad's built-in accessibility features that enable the blind and partially sighted to be able to make use of the technology. I would have to give up the added functionality that the many apps I have bought afford me. I would have to say goodbye to the fit and finnish, quality, support, and software expertise that Apple brings to the game. I don't want to be a beta tester. I would have to give up the confidence I have in the devices and the knowledge that the company will stand behind its products.

    Frankly, that's a lot to ask a person to give up for a small discount, or a free phone. You don't want to give up your formfactor preference. I don't care if you think your reasons are better than mine. They come out to the same number of switcher sales for the TP, ZERO.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Right, but I still don't see the fundamental difference. The TP doesn't come in a 7 or 8 inch size. Therefore, there is no discount or bundle that would entice you to buy it in favor of something else.
    It ain't about price.

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I would not buy it because it has nothing to compare to the iPad's built-in accessibility features that enable the blind and partially sighted to be able to make use of the technology. I would have to give up the added functionality that the many apps I have bought afford me. I would have to say goodbye to the fit and finnish, quality, support, and software expertise that Apple brings to the game. I don't want to be a beta tester. I would have to give up the confidence I have in the devices and the knowledge that the company will stand behind its products.

    Frankly, that's a lot to ask a person to give up for a small discount, or a free phone. You don't want to give up your formfactor preference. I don't care if you think your reasons are better than mine. They come out to the same number of switcher sales for the TP, ZERO.
    I certainly think form factor is better than, "Nothing would make an iOS user want a TP over an iPad, not to mention an iPad 2", but now that you've finally actually answered the original question, instead of just using this thread as an excuse to once again predict HP's failure, I completely understand.

    Even if it is the same result (which is not guaranteed), that wasn't the question.
  9. #49  
    As of right now in order for me to buy a touchpad over the ipad it would have to cost less. Buying a touchpad right now is a risk, it is unkown what developer support it will have and how many developers will begin/continue support for it. The ipad on the other hand is an established platform which is extremely likely to have continued third party application development. Because of this risk I would only buy a touchpad if it cost less than the ipad.
  10. #50  
    I think the glaring weakness is on apps, how about subsidized webOS apps?
    HP can pay developers to make popular paid apps on other platforms free.
    Want top 25 paid apps on ipad? Get them free on touchpad!
  11. #51  
    I dont like Apple and the interface becuase of the syncing feature, besides that I was sold when HP said I can watch netflix and read with Kindle app. Thats all I need besides feed reader which is guareented after that I was sold on the Phone and Tablet feature and the fact of "Think Beyond" with future HP products. It's a perfect time for me because I have been thinking about getting a tablet. Almost got a Samsung Galaxy tab but last minute back out because I couldn't use the phone feature(Sprint). Yes I know VoIP and its too big. So what!! Bluetooth baby!! And I dont care what people think lol. besides that looking forward to the Pre3 and Tablet. Hopefully Sprint gets it first.
  12. #52  
    I think it'd have to be as cheap as a high end e-reader which is what this really is at first.

    If you only have a few needs such as reading, viewing media, light web browsing, then those needs will be met. But those needs, IMO, aren't worth hundreds of dollars.

    An ipad can command a bit more because of its apps and placement in their ecosystem. But ultimately i still think even the ipad falls more into the e-reader type market vs a laptop replacement. The Xoom though will need android devs to ramp up some apps to command that price.

    If MS gets windows 8 designed for a tablet and redesigns an Office version for a tablet, then its a new ball game. JMO.. Just as people wanted the Mac OS on a tablet.
  13. #53  
    TP with webos will fit better in tablet market than Pre3 and Veer in smartphone market. Tablet market is still young and potential customers do not have clear whish list that have to be satisfied by tablet.
    I'm certan, if HP mannage to iron WbOS 3.X and make it run smooth, paired with good marketing effort it could find good place on market. I, myself do not need lots of apps on tablet, only fast and smooth web experience, good mail client supported with document viewing/editting and some basic audio video capabilities. VPN and RDP support would be perfect, but not a must have since anyway you have to carry notebook for serious work.
    Last edited by chalx; 02/26/2011 at 11:33 AM.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I wasn't thinking of the contactless payment applications of NFC. It can be be used in conjunction with bluetooth for instant pairless data sync - because it's a common standard and all the next generation devices from blackberries to androids to iphone 5(???) have it baked in, I would be able to use an nfc enabled touchpad for swift data exchange between any phone I buy and also smartphones/tablets that friends have. TTS allows me to share limited information with myself if I have a webos phone. Since I don't like or want a slider that's not going to happen.

    TTS is a technological backwater, It's HD-DVD.
    in that regard then yes especially not being stuck to on set of phone or device, but how would the security aspect work in the sense of getting "pickpocket" or say using the metro where you are in closed quarters w/ one another and someone is being mischievous or not, or would i need to launch and app or approve data transfer, which i think would take the "ease" out of data sharing, compared to the one time setup(pairing) of devices like you have w/ the TTS.

    but i do see your point and not saying TTS is the best solution, but if the "security" is there, where not anyone else's device is gonna be snagging my info or me inadvertently snagging someone else's info, then im all for a universally accepted standard, which for the most part it is.
  15. #55  
    Edit: i answered generally the title "What would it take for you to buy the Touchpad over any other tablet?" so please read that only in that context as i failed to clearly read the original post. i did not notice the caveat in the text of the O.P. that everything had to remain the same specwise. I just thought it was general like the title.

    this is what it would take for me personally. Not saying someone shouldn't like the touchpad, buy it, like it, or is wrong to like it.

    • Apps. (not 50 or 100 or 200 (thousands of mainstream apps) Virtually anything i want an an ipad i'd have to be able to get on a touchpad. Obviously there would be things here and there but right now i've no interest in waiting in vain for apps. I may not want all of them but i want the choice to have them.
    • App momentum & support by companies not just the novelty developers. Again no more waiting for me. I have to know when somethings hot it's gonna come.
    • Music player equal to that on the ipad in every way. Every feature. podcasting, sync, equalizer, gapless playback, good tag support, ignore "a, and and the" in song titles . I fricken hate when they don't do that. remember last spot in songs. i generally like ipods so it would have to be very similar in layout too. Darn near a clone. But hey i used to use winamp so that's not set in stone. if it's good enough it's good enough.
    • HP addressing the things that are important to me. Example: i'd never have released that music player but updating it would have been the very first thing i updated. Updating the Youtube app. That they didn't make me think their vision is different then what i want as a consumer. That's fine but it effects my longterm vision of would i stay on webos.
    • deskstop media manager cause i got a a lot of music and i transfer it often.
    • Materially Less expensive. I'd would not pay the same price. What's material? At least $50 but i'm think $100.
    • offer me more then and Ipad2 in almost every way. there are surely things that i can do without but in general i wouldn't take less on something that's important to me.
    • ecosystem of media. movie tv rentals downloads etc. i don't do it now but i'd want the option and I just want it to work and be simplistic.
    • Confidence that HP will support their device. My main laptop is an HP laptop. The construction is shoddy. I've had the screen die, keys die, battery malfunction, fan issues, overheating and a very short warranty. And though it's not that old and runs very well HP doesn't support it anymore. Sadly there are many known issues on the HP sight but almost no fixes or drivers available under windows 7. it shipped with vista but and HP offered an upgrade Windows 7 but decided to not support it under windows 7 so no drivers, etc. I have bad personal experience w/HP laptops. My mother has a Compaq laptop. It died before mine did 13 months in. 12 month warranty. So i have serious reservations about HP's build quality & willingness to support their products and I won't buy another laptop from them. I have the same hesitance about buying a tablet from them.


    sidenote: there are some nice tablets coming out but i personally have no plans to buy one but if i did the above would factor into me buying a touchpad.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 03/03/2011 at 08:30 PM.
  16. #56  
    I voted "something else". As long as it's priced near the competition AND the apps that I want/need are available, I'll but it instead of another because I love WebOS and see good things for it going forward.....as long as developers embrace and produce!
  17. #57  
    I'd buy a TouchPad if it came with a free iPad 2. <-- not kidding.
  18. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by retroblu View Post
    in that regard then yes especially not being stuck to on set of phone or device, but how would the security aspect work in the sense of getting "pickpocket" or say using the metro where you are in closed quarters w/ one another and someone is being mischievous or not, or would i need to launch and app or approve data transfer,.
    Well you'd need to physically touch the phones and even then, they would only be able to *sent* you something and you'd have to accept it. it's pretty much one push - remember I'm talking about ad-hoc transfer of data, so pairing makes no sense at all and you wouldn't be pairing devices.


    which i think would take the "ease" out of data sharing, compared to the one time setup(pairing) of devices like you have w/ the TTS.
    But I don't consider TTS to be data *sharing*, I'd call it data *shuffling* because you are not able to *share* data with anyone, you can simply shuffling it amongst your own devices.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions