View Poll Results: What would it take for you to buy the Touchpad over any other tablet?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Price of $701 - $800

0 0%
  • Price of $601 - $700

4 3.60%
  • Price of $501 - $600

16 14.41%
  • Price of $401 - $500

27 24.32%
  • Price of $301 - $400

12 10.81%
  • Price of $201 - $300

13 11.71%
  • A Combo of the Touchpad and Pre 3 on your carrier

26 23.42%
  • A Combo of the Touchpad and Veer on your carrier

1 0.90%
  • A Combo of the Touchpad and Pre 2 on your carrier

0 0%
  • Something else (please explain)

12 10.81%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by retroblu View Post
    you want NFC in your tablet, i mean its mobile and all, but will you really carry it w/ you everywhere like you would your phone, and would you find it handy to pay for thins w/ ?
    I do. I bring my iPad everywhere. If you have a 3G pad, you tend to use it as a mobile device. You have to dig into your purse, pocket, European shoulder bag, to pull out your wallet, pick out the right card, and complete your transaction. Using the pad you already have with you at the coffee shop makes more sense to me. Just saying.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by retroblu View Post
    you want NFC in your tablet, i mean its mobile and all, but will you really carry it w/ you everywhere like you would your phone, and would you find it handy to pay for thins w/ ?

I wasn't thinking of the contactless payment applications of NFC. It can be be used in conjunction with bluetooth for instant pairless data sync - because it's a common standard and all the next generation devices from blackberries to androids to iphone 5(???) have it baked in, I would be able to use an nfc enabled touchpad for swift data exchange between any phone I buy and also smartphones/tablets that friends have. TTS allows me to share limited information with myself if I have a webos phone. Since I don't like or want a slider that's not going to happen.

TTS is a technological backwater, It's HD-DVD.
    This poll needs a "none of the above" choice. I might buy a TouchPad when it is proven to have a functional reason for its existence. Right now it simply a me-too piece of hardware with no apparent software library or connection to an ecosystem regardless of its cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    This poll needs a "none of the above" choice. I might buy a TouchPad when it is proven to have a functional reason for its existence. Right now it simply a me-too piece of hardware with no apparent software library or connection to an ecosystem regardless of its cost.
    Tablets in general are toys. They are unnecessary. There is no real use case for why anyone needs one over a netbook beyond someone who REALLY needs to use a computer standing up all the time.

They will remain in the realm of "toys" until one of the two following conditions are met:

1) They compete directly with netbooks in price.
    2) They get the functionality of a portable cintique.
    Last edited by Beanis; 02/25/2011 at 06:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I do. I bring my iPad everywhere. If you have a 3G pad, you tend to use it as a mobile device. You have to dig into your purse, pocket, European shoulder bag, to pull out your wallet, pick out the right card, and complete your transaction. Using the pad you already have with you at the coffee shop makes more sense to me. Just saying.
    Carrying around a 10" 1.5lbs tablet, pulling it out and doing whatever you have to do to complete a transaction is easier than pulling a card out of your wallet? Really?? It's amazing the things that people will do to for an iPad.

I like a 7" tablet size because it's a lot more portable, but, even though it fits in a jeans or jacket pocket, I tried carrying my Tab around with me for a day or two and it's just goofy. I love the convenience of the smaller size for travel, but carry it around with me everywhere? I think not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Tablets in general are toys. They are unnecessary. There is no real use case for why anyone needs one over a netbook beyond someone who REALLY needs to use a computer standing up all the time.
    Netbooks are painful to use so people who don't like to suffer might chose a Tablet (or a Macbook Air perhaps).
    I agree I feel that netbooks are counterproductive at times and cost too much when you really look at what you're getting out of it.
    Could not disagree with you more on that. If you're looking at contactless payment methods or cardless reward card scans a phone or even a PMP is FAR better choice than a tablet.

They will remain in the realm of "toys" until one of the two following conditions are met:

I don't agree with that assessment completely. Tablets are certainly a competitive product for real use, particularly when comparing to the netbook option. That being said, "tablets" like the iPad are NOT at that level yet. The iPad is more akin to an Internet appliance that actually got decent support unlike most Internet appliances.

We'll have to wait and see if the TouchPad can really compete as a productivity product rather than just be another consumption product.

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Netbooks are painful to use so people who don't like to suffer might chose a Tablet (or a Macbook Air perhaps).
    Or HP's TouchSmart tm2t, that's my personal favorite.

It's all depend. If you have a tablet with lack of any kind of productive apps available, it will very giant waste of money. Or just very expensive internet browser and email.

However, if you have a tablet with great apps available, it is quite useful in daily life. I can't live without my ipad any more. I take my ipad everywhere. I use it for my work, my leisure time, and entertainment. Even my 3 years old daughter loves this thing alot. Save me tons of money not to buying all those baby computer toys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post

That being said, "tablets" like the iPad are NOT at that level yet. The iPad is more akin to an Internet appliance that actually got decent support unlike most Internet appliances.

I disagree. iPad is far more productive than any netbook or even some cases laptop.

For example, one saturday afternoon, I went to the coffee shop. Reading my book on my ipad while enjoying my coffee. I got invited to company meeting thru webEx, some emergency meeting. I called in thru my cell phone, and I connect to webEX using my iPad.
    While I was in the meeting, some of the documenation has to be updated, so I switch to my office apps, and edited out my excel spreadsheet, and emailed to the presenter.
    If I didn't have my iPad, as soon as I got invited to the meeting, i had to drive back to my place and attend the meeting.

Ipad achieved far more expectation that I had before I purchased the product. I thought I was getting very expensive toy, now it becomes my most useful gadget.
    I didn't say it hadn't made itself a good communication product, which is definitely a step in the right direction.
    For me, it would take a lot of cutting edge apps that aren't available on the iPad. What's the point, otherwise?
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Carrying around a 10" 1.5lbs tablet, pulling it out and doing whatever you have to do to complete a transaction is easier than pulling a card out of your wallet? Really?? It's amazing the things that people will do to for an iPad.

I like a 7" tablet size because it's a lot more portable, but, even though it fits in a jeans or jacket pocket, I tried carrying my Tab around with me for a day or two and it's just goofy. I love the convenience of the smaller size for travel, but carry it around with me everywhere? I think not.
    You sound like a wifi only kind of person. Good for you. I'm a 3G kind of guy. Tomato, tomato... well, you get the idea.

The strange thing is the intolerance of people who are different from you. If someone finds it easy and convenient to carry around their pad of choice, you think it is stupid and wrong. Same goes for video chatting or taking pictures. Have you seen the size of DSLRs lately. Seems to me that if you are holding your iPad anyway, why not be able to use it for something that you would otherwise have to fish out another device and put your iPad down to use? It doesn't bother me either way.
    You sound like a wifi only kind of person. Good for you. I'm a 3G kind of guy. Tomato, tomato... well, you get the idea.

The strange thing is the intolerance of people who are different from you. If someone finds it easy and convenient to carry around their pad of choice, you think it is stupid and wrong. Same goes for video chatting or taking pictures. Have you seen the size of DSLRs lately. Seems to me that if you are holding your iPad anyway, why not be able to use it for something that you would otherwise have to fish out another device and put your iPad down to use? It doesn't bother me either way.
    Intolerance? How is saying that I think it's silly intolerance? You're allowed to carry it around like a phone and use it to pay for coffee, and I'm allowed to think it's silly. After getting over my initial new toy rush, I personally felt like a dork carrying around my 7" Tab everywhere and found it to be inconvenient. But I promise I'm not going to try and stop you from carrying around your 10" tablet and using it as a credit card. I'll just giggle.

And since it's patently obvious that, short of dropping an H bomb on Cupertino, there's nothing that HP could do to get you to buy a Touchpad over your iPad (you're already in line for iPad2 without any official announcement, right?), how about you just post that in response to the original question and move on?
    Intolerance? How is saying that I think it's silly intolerance? You're allowed to carry it around like a phone and use it to pay for coffee, and I'm allowed to think it's silly. After getting over my initial new toy rush, I personally felt like a dork carrying around my 7" Tab everywhere and found it to be inconvenient. But I promise I'm not going to try and stop you from carrying around your 10" tablet and using it as a credit card. I'll just giggle.

And since it's patently obvious that, short of dropping an H bomb on Cupertino, there's nothing that HP could do to get you to buy a Touchpad over your iPad (you're already in line for iPad2 without any official announcement, right?), how about you just post that in response to the original question and move on?
    Well, as long as you are only calling me names and laughing at me, I guess that's not intolerant. And yes, I have been in line for two days, at least in my mind. The line in Birmingham starts behind me. Or would you rather me wait for the TP to come out before making a purchase?

I actually had high hopes for the Xoom, to be honest. From what I can gather, it is a swing and a miss. I have no hope for the PB. DOA, IMO. The TP is not going to put downward pressure on the iPad price, or upward pressure on the iPad's features. So there you have it. I, like every iPad user would be interested in legitimate competition. Still waiting...
    I actually had high hopes for the Xoom, to be honest. From what I can gather, it is a swing and a miss. I have no hope for the PB. DOA, IMO. The TP is not going to put downward pressure on the iPad price, or upward pressure on the iPad's features. So there you have it. I, like every iPad user would be interested in legitimate competition. Still waiting...
    Competition for what reason? To push Apple to build a better iPad for you to buy? Because this thread started with a simple question; What would it take for you to buy the Touchpad over any other tablet? And your response was that you didn't understand a very simple question. And then you went on to a bunch of other nonsense but, unless "Nothing would make an iOS user want a TP over an iPad, not to mention an iPad 2" was it, you never specifically answered the question. In which case, all of your other contributions on the question are moot.

That's why all of this stuff about what specs the TP has and should have and what apps and ecosystem the TP needs are just BS. It's all about mindshare, and folks like you wouldn't buy one if it spit out money.
    I won't buy it don't need or want it but if someone brought it for me I would take it.
    I will refer to post #16 and leave it at that. As I look at the subject more closely, It seems the question is, "How cheap does the TP have to be before you will consider buying it rather than a competitor?" I will try to answer that question. If that is not what the OP meant, he can correct my assumption.

In a world where there was no iPad or iPad 2, I would be inclined to buy the Xoom on contract from Verizon. Since I carry a data plan for the iPad anyway, that would not be an issue for me.

In that world, I would have found the early reviews of the Xoom to be a great disappointment. I would have reconsidered my early enthusiasm for it and decided to wait for the next set of HC devices. By the time HC is fully baked, the TP will probably be out. Even in a world where there is no iDevice, I would never consider the PlayBook.

As for the price, remember, this imaginary world does not have an iPad establishing the $499 pricepoint. So, what would seem like a reasonable price for this tech? I suspect the prices would be even higher than they are now. It is impossible to say what a reasonable price would be without an iPad to define it. Therefore, I don't think price would be the deciding factor for me, anymore than it is for anyone else around here.

I think if WebOS could have been possible in a world where there was no iOS, I would choose WebOS. But that is not the question. Without iOS and the iPad, there would be no WebOS or TouchPad. There would be no $499 pricepoint. There would be no 60,000 dedicated app ecosystem. There would be no modern touchscreen pad market.

That is why in this world: the real world, the iPad is the one to beat, and all those things have to be considered. I would love to hear from Android, BB, and WP7 users take on the question. The nature of the question is a challenge for potential switchers. How cheap would the TP have to be to make you buy it as opposed to something else you might have wanted. I don't see too many people answering the question much differently than I have.

Let me ask you this. How cheap would the iPad 2 have to be to make a WebOS user buy it instead of a TouchPad? See the problem?
    Let me ask you this. How cheap would the iPad 2 have to be to make a WebOS user buy it instead of a TouchPad? See the problem?
    See, you still can't answer the question. Who said it was just about price? If I only bought things based on price I wouldn't own anything from Apple and wouldn't be looking at tablets at all. To say it's about price is laughable when folks are out paying $300 on an iPhone when you can get a Droid for just showing ID.

Never thought I'd own one, but I'm actually getting some use from my tablet, but I certainly didn't buy the Galaxy Tab because it was the cheapest.

But here's the bigger point: I'm not a "WebOS user". I'm a guy who likes electronics and buys stuff. WebOS is my favorite mobile OS, but I'm not using it right now. Blind loyalty to an electronics company and their gadgets doesn't make any sense to me. I want WebOS and Android to do well so I have choices about products that I'll actually buy, not because of some weird allegiance to Palm or Google.

In answer to the question that was originally asked, what will make me buy a WebOS tablet over the Galaxy Tab I use now is a 7-8" form factor because 10" is too big for what I use a tablet for (travel). It's not a hard question to answer if you're actually not afraid of the answer.

Me not buying an iPhone or an iPad has nothing to do with price, it's about not getting all of my eggs into an ecosystem that's controlled with a heavy hand and extremely hard to get out of if I later want to go somewhere else. And apparently you have to check your common sense at the door to the store...
    See, you still can't answer the question. Who said it was just about price?
    Actually, the poll says it's about price. Look at the choices again.

In answer to the question that was originally asked, what will make me buy a WebOS tablet over the Galaxy Tab I use now is a 7-8" form factor because 10" is too big for what I use a tablet for (travel). It's not a hard question to answer if you're actually not afraid of the answer.
    I'm sorry, I still didn't catch your answer.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast