View Poll Results: Did Apple announce iPad 2 early because of touchpad?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was better than they thought it would be

41 28.47%
  • No, they were always planning on March 2 or moved it up because of Steve Jobs' health

103 71.53%
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else think Apple moving up their iPad 2 announcement is due to HP's very competitive (to the iPad 1) Touchpad? I think they were expecting a tablet like all the others: thick, not very good looking, nothing new/exceptional about it, but then HP surprised them and made a good looking competitor for the iPad.

So Apple perhaps thought that HP could also undercut them on price and so they're announcing the iPad 2 early to make the Touchpad look very outdated.
    I don't think that the iPad 2 is gonna make the TouchPad look outdated... It's gonna have an A5 mystery processor because Apple doesn't want to discuss what's actually under the hood, it's gonna have a camera or two (bam! Factime on the iPad! A true revolution) and that's probably gonna be it. I'm heavily doubting that 2048x1536 rumor, although I'll admit it would be cool.

The iPad 2's killer feature is gonna be that it's an Apple, meaning that 60% of existing iPad users will get one on day one and that there will be much swooning in the media.

<edit> I think it's much more likely for HP to schedule their announcements and launches in accordance to when Apple are doing theirs than the other way around, though.
    Apple is pretty regular in their yearly product announcements and re-freshes. I think the iPad is being announced right on schedule. It first shipped a year ago April, which means this announcement is coming where you could have predicted it long before this date was announced.

I doubt HP had anything to do with Apple's timing (but I am sure HP's somewhat premature announcement had everything to do with knowing Apple would be announcing soon)

Like good competitors, I am sure they both have sussed out the features though in each other's devices are reacting strategically, where they can.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I don't think that the iPad 2 is gonna make the TouchPad look outdated... It's gonna have an A5 mystery processor because Apple doesn't want to discuss what's actually under the hood, it's gonna have a camera or two (bam! Factime on the iPad! A true revolution) and that's probably gonna be it. I'm heavily doubting that 2048x1536 rumor, although I'll admit it would be cool.

The iPad 2's killer feature is gonna be that it's an Apple, meaning that 60% of existing iPad users will get one on day one and that there will be much swooning in the media.

<edit> I think it's much more likely for HP to schedule their announcements and launches in accordance to when Apple are doing theirs than the other way around, though.
    Actually, the iPad 2 is thinner and lighter than the previous one. This has already been confirmed. And that's a BIG plus. A 1.5 lb device can get heavy in your hand pretty quick, so removing weight is big and making it thinner is almost always a plus for consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Anyone else think Apple moving up their iPad 2 announcement is due to HP's very competitive (to the iPad 1) Touchpad? I think they were expecting a tablet like all the others: thick, not very good looking, nothing new/exceptional about it, but then HP surprised them and made a good looking competitor for the iPad.

So Apple perhaps thought that HP could also undercut them on price and so they're announcing the iPad 2 early to make the Touchpad look very outdated.
    apple has nothing to worry about. They've got all the momentum right now.
    I think this is a difficult one to answer. In the past I would say that no, they aren't adjusting their announcements based on what someone like HP is doing. However, things are rapidly changing in the industry. The iPhone is no longer the singular "hot" phone to have. Android phones have been chipping away at that must have factor and maybe more importantly mindshare.

I'm sure Apple is more than aware that this same trend can and possibly will fall over into the new market they've created with the iPad. There are already plenty of people who would go with an Android tablet just because it's Android and not Apple. In the same vein, HP may not be a threat at the moment, but with the right marketing and support they could be. So why not position yourself to prepare for that potential onslaught?
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Anyone else think Apple moving up their iPad 2 announcement ...
    I don't think they moved it.

regardless i don't think Apple is reactive. I think they are more proactive.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I don't think anyone was surprised by anything at the HP announcement other than the fact that it was going to take so long for the devices to ship.
    Was anyone really surprised that it would take so long for the devices to ship?
    They did originally imply that the annoucned devices would be available within weeks rather than months after the showing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    They did originally imply that the annoucned devices would be available within weeks rather than months after the showing.
    True, but was anyone really surprised that they will be late.
    Hmm... Is Apple rushing their schedule? Has it been about a year since release? Check. Did Apple preempt the 43 tablets announced at CES with their announcement? Nope. Did Apple announce theirs even around the time HP announced theirs? Nope. Well, what did happen?

HP came out with guns blazing, announcing that they would stop announcing products that were not ready to ship soon after. Then, they immediately announce their pad which wasn't near ready to ship. Check. They showed it with software that was not finished. Check. They announced features that had no partnerships or was not installed, (video calling and Beats audio). Check.

My spidey senses tell me that one of the companies was, indeed, shaking in their dinosaur boots at the prospect of a new pad being announced. Hint, it wasn't Apple.
    I don't think it was just the Touchpad. So many companies are rushing tablets to the market it is quickly making the iPad looked dated. So Apple swoops in times like this to try and take the shine away from everyone.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I don't think it was just the Touchpad. So many companies are rushing tablets to the market it is quickly making the iPad looked dated. So Apple swoops in times like this to try and take the shine away from everyone.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    So far, nothing has made the original iPad look outdated. Based on all the Xoom reviews I've read, it is incomplete and a work in progress compared to the iPad which is polished and refined. The Xoom left three of its most important differentiators on the cutting room floor because they were in such a rush. Apple could have preempted all of this if they had wanted to. So far, there has been NO competitive reason to do so.
    Yeah, I have a very hard time believing Apple and their iPad are running scared from anybody at this point.
    iPad 2 = Apple A5 dual core proccessor @1GHz, 512 MB of RAM, same cameras as the iPod touch 4G, maybe a slimmer design plus a new version of iOS which makes it more useful. Nothing to fear.
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    iPad 2 = Apple A5 dual core proccessor @1GHz, 512 MB of RAM, same cameras as the iPod touch 4G, maybe a slimmer design plus a new version of iOS which makes it more useful. Nothing to fear.
    Who's fears are you trying to calm?
    ya...just a rear camera will be a huge blow to the TouchPad's prospects.
    FaceTime is a two camera system on mobile devices. I don't see how they could offer FaceTime without a rear camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    So far, nothing has made the original iPad look outdated. Based on all the Xoom reviews I've read, it is incomplete and a work in progress compared to the iPad which is polished and refined. The Xoom left three of its most important differentiators on the cutting room floor because they were in such a rush. Apple could have preempted all of this if they had wanted to. So far, there has been NO competitive reason to do so.
    I'm sorry I should have been more specific. From a hardware setup it is starting to look that way. That and Apple just likes to cut in line.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    FaceTime is a two camera system on mobile devices. I don't see how they could offer FaceTime without a rear camera.
    Does it need two cameras or just a front camera?
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast