View Poll Results: Did Apple announce iPad 2 early because of touchpad?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was better than they thought it would be

41 28.47%
  • No, they were always planning on March 2 or moved it up because of Steve Jobs' health

103 71.53%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Hey,

You were the one that said Apple was an ant compared to HP.

I'm trying to figure out how that is a negative for Apple, especially after today's announcement.
    Again, that makes NO sense at all.

Stop taking my post out of context.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Again, that makes NO sense at all.

Stop taking my post out of context.
    Out of context? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy
    You arent competing with your ants, but Apple IS competing with HP, Google, Motorola, HTC and LG. Not to mention that size wise, Apple is the ant copared to HP, among others (Apple, 60,000 employees, HP, 310,000 employees).
    It seems spot on to me. Looks like the ants overran mighty HP today.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    This should be mailed to John R. and Leo A., then they will not have to buy a clue.
    John R.: You got that kind of cash lying around?
    Leo A.: Dude, I just gave you 1.2.
    John R.: Yeah, I know... But I'd like to buy an iPad2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Out of context? Really?
    It seems spot on to me. Looks like the ants overran mighty HP today.
    Yes, REALLY!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    You don't "move up" an announcement and still manage to have full shipping of the product 9 days after that announcement.

Apple had this general time frame planned for soem time. It may've been spurred in general due to the tablet craze they were sure would happen at CES and MWC, but I highly doubt it was for any specific one or the decision came after their actual presentations.

HP has placed itself in the same position that Palm did with the Pre. Bringing out an exciting product with great specs and an amazing OS that generates a lot of hype...and then releasing it almost half a year later when the specs are no longer impressive, the hype has mostly died out, and other intriguing products have hit the scene or starting to appear.

Which puts them in a game of catch up where they're either forever off cycle (Coming out midyear to compete with the previous years model) or to attempt to bump up their cycle significantly (launching a new touchpad 6 months after the first one).

March 11th, $499...those reasons alone are why Apple has no real reason to fear any of the other tablet makers, let alone HP at the moment.
    Why isn't there a poll choice for:

No, Apple doesn't look at the competition since they are sitting comfortable in front right now.
    I am extremely surprise and kind of shock to think there's 39 people actually voted for yes. Unbelievable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    As the saying goes: "Money talks, and BS walks." Here's some money talking:

This is not some slide showing how webOS won a random web-based popularity poll. This is real.
    So who is the official recipient of that "genuine" check?

/sarcasm
    well,
    we have an answer to the op....no, Apple didn't release early to beat touchpad. They released early cuz the frickin thing is ready! It's on it's way to warehouses for wholesale distribution!!!
    Heck it'll be in peoples hand before we even find out what carrier is going to get the "spring release" Veer!

We'll probably see ipad3 speculation before touchpad comes out...LOL.

/thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Juize View Post
    Apple has just ousted the competition and is now major of the mobile tech space again.
    Sorry to break the news. But no other company can actually break this. They offer an overall good feeling user experience. Photobooth, Garageband, Facetime and HD videorecording. HDMI out and mirroring. Next time they add the cable free content sharing with capable displays...

I would love to see someone being able to compete, but it just doesn't look there is a runner up...

The cover of the new pad is lovely - what a smart little idea...those are the little things that I miss from the competition.
    Perfect example of fan hyperbole.

You're actually going to state, with no reservations "no other company can break this"? Seriously? Want to make a bet on it? You'll loose. Companies always get "one upped". Might not be HP, might not be a company that any of us know anything about right now, but it's going to happen.

Secondly, " doesn't look there is a runner up". Do you know what a "runner up" is? Do you really believe that there is absolutely no one else in this race?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Perfect example of fan hyperbole.

You're actually going to state, with no reservations "no other company can break this"? Seriously? Want to make a bet on it? You'll loose. Companies always get "one upped". Might not be HP, might not be a company that any of us know anything about right now, but it's going to happen.

Secondly, " doesn't look there is a runner up". Do you know what a "runner up" is? Do you really believe that there is absolutely no one else in this race?
    I was blown away by the presentation of the ipad2 and expressed my feelings.

They - meaning Apple - have a complete system ready to go. And they improved the hardware...

As stated elsewhere I love the usage of webOS. No doubt. But the overall package prize goes to Apple.

Seriously - who is able to compete on that level? HPTouchpad is nice. It "may" be fast and it may have the apps needed to be productive. "May" be...

Apple is the sure shot here.

Xoom looks niiice too...but do they have the ecosystem? They do have access to the Android market. But there are only very few applications ready.

I am into music - listening - producing for fun - On webOS - almost a blank territory - on Android (I haven't heard any announcements of applications).

Maybe one day Apple might be ousted by the competition, but I don't see that day coming too soon.

I hope that clarifies my initial post - which was under the influence of the presentation...

What really matters is being at the market in due time - meaning - presenting and selling the presented product in a short time span afterwards...that way the marketing blizzard is really affecting customers...

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Juize View Post
    Maybe one day Apple might be ousted by the competition, but I don't see that day coming too soon.

I hope that clarifies my initial post - which was under the influence of the presentation...

What really matters is being at the market in due time - meaning - presenting and selling the presented product in a short time span afterwards...that way the marketing blizzard is really affecting customers...

Cheers
    Hope you understand being "runner up" has nothing to do with "ousting the competition".

Of course, HP isn't even "runner up" in the tablet category. Yet. But due to the simplicity of the devices (in execution), anyone that thinks no one can be touched in this area is simply being over-enthusiastic.

This though, is much like the phone situation. No one has to blow anyone away, or oust the competition. MFGs have to sell enough to make a profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Getting back to the original question - actually the real question is why did HP decide to make an announcement months before their hardware, software or carrier agreements were ready. Especially as they were expressly trying not to pre-announce things so far ahead of time. Did they feel pressure around CES time with announcements from the other mobile platforms?
    And can't forget the pressure that this community was placing on them
  14.    #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Why isn't there a poll choice for:

No, Apple doesn't look at the competition since they are sitting comfortable in front right now.
    They definitely look at the competition (in particular after the onslaught of Android), why do you think they're suing HTC for patent infringement?
    Hope you understand being "runner up" has nothing to do with "ousting the competition".

Of course, HP isn't even "runner up" in the tablet category. Yet. But due to the simplicity of the devices (in execution), anyone that thinks no one can be touched in this area is simply being over-enthusiastic.

This though, is much like the phone situation. No one has to blow anyone away, or oust the competition. MFGs have to sell enough to make a profit.
    Modern media and charts made business look like it's a race in sports...and maybe my english isn't good enough whilst being influenced through emotions ...in the end it's about making profit...which Apple does quite well and Google on a different approach too...

HP is stating they didn't buy Palm to enter the mobile phone market...hmmm we haven't seen anything else yet.

Maybe the ongoing tech blogs trigger the impression that tech innovation materialize in months...regarding HP's strategy it might me visible in 2012...
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    And can't forget the pressure that this community was placing on them
    With the way they treated the 2.x upgrade process, I cannot believe this was a major motivator.

To Untidy's question, they probably wanted to do a tablet event before Honeycomb and iPad had a chance to hit the market. The phones were clearly an afterthought at the actual announcement.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    So if the rumours are true that Leo just did a webcast saying the Touchpad is out in June, the better question is "Did HP move up Touchpad launch because they feared Ipad 2?"
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    So if the rumours are true that Leo just did a webcast saying the Touchpad is out in June, the better question is "Did HP move up Touchpad launch because they feared Ipad 2?"
    I know some of the detractors have tried to insist that HP meant otherwise, but doesn't "June" fall into the originally planned and announced "summer" timeframe?
    Originally Posted by 6tr6tr
    Getting back to the original topic. I do think all the tablets being announced as coming spring and summer is why Apple pushed hard to get this out the door so fast (rumor is they were working on retina display but couldn't get it in time for this). Available in just 9 days? Apple knows the quicker to market with this, the fewer customers will even be left for their competitor's tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    When you say "get this out the door so fast," when do you think the iPad 2 was originally slated for release? In the summer, when Apple releases their new iPhones? In the fall, when they release new iPods?

I have also seen the rumor that iPad 3 will have the retina display and may be released later this year.

However, I don't see anything wrong with the iPad 2 as a middle ground until they can get the retina one ready. They've made sure they stayed relevant. They have a faster iPad with a better body at the same price, and it's ready for purchase sooner rather than later.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I know some of the detractors have tried to insist that HP meant otherwise, but doesn't "June" fall into the originally planned and announced "summer" timeframe?
    Yea, the TouchPad maybe released June 21th since that is the official start of summer.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast