View Poll Results: Did Apple announce iPad 2 early because of touchpad?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was better than they thought it would be

41 28.47%
  • No, they were always planning on March 2 or moved it up because of Steve Jobs' health

103 71.53%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    If I were them, I'd take those next 3-4 months to:

1. lower the price ($399 for wifi, $529 for wifi+3G)
    2. Add a rear camera
    3. Make the device lighter/thinner than it is now (don't have to fully match iPad 2)
    4. Add HDMI out
    5. prepare some unique apps that will draw attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim-1 View Post
    5. prepare some unique apps that will draw attention
    Before you get some unique apps, try to get some exiting one first. Atleast show some effort to convince those developers

Sent from Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Seeing as tho it will be available on the 11th, I'd say not.
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Before you get some unique apps, try to get some exiting one first. Atleast show some effort to convince those developers

Sent from Tapatalk
    I see your point, but I wouldn't mind buying one special new app crafted for WebOs for a change, rather than getting excited for those already seen on other devices 2 month before.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    This is going to hurt HP. The iPad was a huge success and has even been one of the most popular names discussed online. During the peak of the events of Egypt, more people talked about the iPad than Egypt on Twitter. That's huge and just shows how wildly popular the iPad has been. At this point, this is going to make it much harder for WebOS to succeed. HP isn't the type of company to be able to create a hype train based on saying this summer. A company like Nintendo can do it because unlike HP, Nintendo dominates the handheld market and has established themselves in consumers mind as the company they think of when they think of a handheld gaming system.

In the modern marketing world, its important to position your brand as being first for something in the consumers mind. Top of mind awareness is why the major players of the world are where they are. WebOS isn't in this position in consumers minds and the only way HP can compete with Apple is if they niche the TouchPad. They need to market it as what it does different from competitors and not try to compete head on.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Before you get some unique apps, try to get some exiting one first. Atleast show some effort to convince those developers.
    As the saying goes: "Money talks, and BS walks." Here's some money talking:

This is not some slide showing how webOS won a random web-based popularity poll. This is real.
    I just looked at the videos on Engadget of the iPad2.

It is, indeed, extremely fast, and responsive.

Real time fast, actually.

Very impressive.

This is certainly a banchmark for all future devices to perform to, else they be seen as "slow", even if they aren't.

HP's dual core 1.2 Qualcomm processors should, on paper, work just as smooth and fast in the TouchPad if it wants to truly compete, IMO.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Looking on the bright side, this means those of us holding out for TouchPad will most likely be able to get TouchPad for significantly less than currently expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    That's a senseless and incorrect analogy.

You arent competing with your ants, but Apple IS competing with HP, Google, Motorola, HTC and LG. Not to mention that size wise, Apple is the ant copared to HP, among others (Apple, 60,000 employees, HP, 310,000 employees).
    So, after today's Apple announcement, can we assume that Apple's ants are working about 5 times more harder than HP's ants?
    People who really think "size and scale" is the be all and end all should take a look at how many employees Nokia had working on Symbian.
    Apple means business.
    HP's got Leo.

Veer+ iPad2. I'm sure would be less issues than with a TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    People who really think "size and scale" is the be all and end all should take a look at how many employees Nokia had working on Symbian.
    I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    So, after today's Apple announcement, can we assume that Apple's ants are working about 5 times more harder than HP's ants?
    That makes no sense at all.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    That makes no sense at all.
    Hey,

You were the one that said Apple was an ant compared to HP.

I'm trying to figure out how that is a negative for Apple, especially after today's announcement.
    touchpad, xoom, and playbook look slow and old in comparison.

Love the mag cover idea and the size. Oh and $399 for ipad 1, really! shiiiiiit!!!

Everyone is STILL playing catch up and now apple lapped 'em again.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Hey,

You were the one that said Apple was an ant compared to HP.

I'm trying to figure out how that is a negative for Apple, especially after today's announcement.
    It's not negative. What's puzzling is how does the ant, namely Apple, able to make more profit than HP plus Dell combined and with 60,000 people yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Apple means business.
    HP's got Leo.

Veer+ iPad2. I'm sure would be less issues than with a TouchPad.
    Now that's funny. Does the veer have hotspot capability? If it does all you need is a homebrew plus jailbreak for Touch to Share, won't even need a Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    As the saying goes: "Money talks, and BS walks." Here's some money talking:

This is not some slide showing how webOS won a random web-based popularity poll. This is real.
    This should be mailed to John R. and Leo A., then they will not have to buy a clue.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 03/02/2011 at 07:32 PM.
  19.    #99  
    Getting back to the original topic. I do think all the tablets being announced as coming spring and summer is why Apple pushed hard to get this out the door so fast (rumor is they were working on retina display but couldn't get it in time for this). Available in just 9 days? Apple knows the quicker to market with this, the fewer customers will even be left for their competitor's tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Getting back to the original topic. I do think all the tablets being announced as coming spring and summer is why Apple pushed hard to get this out the door so fast (rumor is they were working on retina display but couldn't get it in time for this). Available in just 9 days? Apple knows the quicker to market with this, the fewer customers will even be left for their competitor's tablets.
    When you say "get this out the door so fast," when do you think the iPad 2 was originally slated for release? In the summer, when Apple releases their new iPhones? In the fall, when they release new iPods?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast