View Poll Results: Did Apple announce iPad 2 early because of touchpad?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was better than they thought it would be

41 28.47%
  • No, they were always planning on March 2 or moved it up because of Steve Jobs' health

103 71.53%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    The new iPad 2 is thinner than your iPhone 4."

10:21AM 13.4mm to 8.8mm

10:20AM "Having built in all this stuff, one of the striking things about the iPad 2 is that's dramatically thinner. 33% thinner."

10:20AM 'We've also built in the gyroscope we have in the iPhone and iPod touch."

0:20AM "Second, we've built in some cameras for video. We've got a rear and front facing. More on that in a few minutes."

10:19AM "The first iPad was no slouch... so a lot faster."

10:19AM "We go all out on the graphics performance. Up to 9 times faster. Same low power as A4. This will be the first dual core tablet to ship in volume."

2.    #62  
    Well, the TouchPad just became a failure. The iPad 2 is thinner than the iPhone 4! And the dual-core processor uses the same power as the previous one in iPad 1. And if the rumors are right (they've been right so far), it'll be at a lower price-point than HP will offer for the TouchPad. Also, it weighs less than the TouchPad (1.3 pounds vs 1.6).
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Well, the TouchPad just became a failure. The iPad 2 is thinner than the iPhone 4! And the dual-core processor uses the same power as the previous one in iPad 1. And if the rumors are right (they've been right so far), it'll be at a lower price-point than HP will offer for the TouchPad. Also, it weighs less than the TouchPad (1.3 pounds vs 1.6).
    How does that equate to a failure..? Who cares how thin it is, we're getting to a point where it's super thin anyways, I don't want a piece of paper in my hands that'll break if I drop it once. I want some heft to it.
    Sprint Love
    Pay attention HP -- the new iPad is shipping on March 11th. Today is March 2rd.

That's how it should be done.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    wow HP is going to burn for this one

iPad 2 is coming out March 11th!!
  6. JKM
    That's how it is done: Announced on March 2nd, shipped March 11th (March 25th for ROW)
    Quote Originally Posted by e-steve View Post
    Pay attention HP -- the new iPad is shipping on March 11th. Today is March 2rd.

That's how it should be done.
    Indeed. Not in the upcoming seasons of the year. Not in the coming months. Not in the coming weeks.

Next week.
  8.    #68  
    This thing ships in one week (I DO think that's due to the other tablets coming in summer) for $499-629 for the 16GB (wife vs wifi+3G). That means, by the time the TouchPad comes out, this thing will have been selling to customers for at least 3 months! That's a lot of lost potential customers.
    The spec is impressive too for the same price of the original iPad, HP'd better releases more info on the TouchPad, price, availability, etc.
  10. JKM
    ... That's a lot of lost potential customers.
    And I will probably be one of them!
    Of course it's going to be thinner. A tablet is a lot larger than a cell phone, you have a lot more room to play with
    Apple is relying on a 1 year lead to crush the competition. What consumer who's not a Flash developer will buy a TouchPad/Playbook/Xoom when a $499 iPad is available that is thinner than an iPhone, has dual core and 100,000+ apps?

I love WebOS, but if Apple has it's security/enterprise stuff together, I don't see where HP or Xoom compete. Maybe next year.
  13.    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Of course it's going to be thinner. A tablet is a lot larger than a cell phone, you have a lot more room to play with
    Then why isn't the TouchPad thinner than an iPhone 4?
    CNN has a stream going on a 15 minute tape delay if any of you want to see it for yourself.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
    People understimated the weight and thickness. But I have used my ipad for more than 7 months now. Only thing that I desired from my iPad 1 is weight!!!! More CPU power is just a plus, and having camera means, ipad will get tons of new apps use the camera, like photo editing stuffs. Apple does what they do best, they do their own research and added something that what people really need. Everything else what touch pad demonstrated, really not a selling point.
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by rickwestland View Post
    The spec is impressive too for the same price of the original iPad, HP'd better releases more info on the TouchPad, price, availability, etc.
    HP held off on that to see what Apple announced. Now they know what they have to beat. If I were them, I'd take those next 3-4 months to:

1. lower the price ($399 for wifi, $529 for wifi+3G)
    2. Add a rear camera
    3. Make the device lighter/thinner than it is now (don't have to fully match iPad 2)
    4. Add HDMI out
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    HP held off on that to see what Apple announced. Now they know what they have to beat. If I were them, I'd take those next 3-4 months to:

1. lower the price ($399 for wifi, $529 for wifi+3G)
    2. Add a rear camera
    3. Make the device lighter/thinner than it is now (don't have to fully match iPad 2)
    4. Add HDMI out
    i doubt HP will change anything, i mean look at the pre, pre 2, and pre 3, nothing has really changed.
    THAT is how you announce new hardware...mere DAYS before its release. Not months, HP. This actually may lead me to rethink the TouchPad unless they come in at a much better price (which I doubt can or will be the case).
    Apple has just ousted the competition and is now major of the mobile tech space again.
    Sorry to break the news. But no other company can actually break this. They offer an overall good feeling user experience. Photobooth, Garageband, Facetime and HD videorecording. HDMI out and mirroring. Next time they add the cable free content sharing with capable displays...

I would love to see someone being able to compete, but it just doesn't look there is a runner up...

The cover of the new pad is lovely - what a smart little idea...those are the little things that I miss from the competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKM View Post
    And I will probably be one of them!
    I am tempted too...this just looks niiiiiice.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast