View Poll Results: Did Apple announce iPad 2 early because of touchpad?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was better than they thought it would be

41 28.47%
  • No, they were always planning on March 2 or moved it up because of Steve Jobs' health

103 71.53%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    White iPhone 4: 6 June 2010 announcement to....... um...

Some might say it's the difference between being an infallible, angelic band of brothers that has merely run into into a few minor restocking issues and being a bumbling, clueless dinosaur corporation whose only interest is lying to people....Yeah, it's the brand alright.
    Why that's ... that's ... that's outlandish!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    iPad: 27 Jan 2010 announcement to 3 Apr 2010 release = 2 months 1 week.

TP: 9 Feb 2011 announcement to at least 22 Jun 2011 (first day of summer) release = 4.5 months.

Some might say it's the difference between a "few weeks" and a few months.
    You've got June 22 down as "summer". I don't know that's what they had in mind. I've always thought of "winter" to be Dec, Jan, Feb, spring to be Mar, Apr, May, and ... well, you could probably figure out the rest. So, are we now to assume that if they release the TouchPad on June 1, that means they "lied"?

BTW, someone at Wikipedia seems to agree with me:
    According to meteorologists, summer extends for the whole months of June, July and August in the northern hemisphere and the whole months of December, January and February in the southern hemisphere.[2] This meteorological definition of summer also aligns with the commonly viewed notion of summer as the season with the longest (and warmest) days of the year(365 days), in which daylight predominates.
    But, whatever the announcements meant, there's no doubt that HP couldn't be doing it right, Apple couldn't be doing it wrong, and HP isn't even on Apple's radar. They're way too cool to worry about competition.
    There seems to be a great desire, almost desperation by some, to believe that HP's announcement was so wonderful, it shook the ground under Cupertino. You want to believe that Apple is scrambling, rushing to respond before their lunch gets eaten by the bully.

It is fascinating how far down the rabbit hole some will go to put flesh on the bones of that fantasy. Unfortunately, reality keeps intruding. All evidence indicates that Apple is just doing what they would have done, when they would have done it, if no one had taken the iPad challenge. From their perspective, no one has.

All evidence shows companies scrambling to make their own version of the iPad, and get it out the door, ready or not, before, Apple can drive another nail in the coffin. HP has reshaped itself in less than a year to try and become Apple-like in hopes of competing in a market for which they have no core competency.

The obvious fact is that it is HP who is afraid and rushing to try and steel Apple's thunder, not the other way around. That part is not as interesting as some of the people on this board who are so allergic to the idea of Apple leading the way and steering the industry towards a new computing paradigm, they have convinced themselves that the opposite must be true.

Hparsons, I call you out specifically, not because you are one of those people, but because you know better and have admitted as much, yet even you can't help but offer hope that Apple might be reacting to the mighty HP. You had the choice to ignore the thread, post on topic and simply state your opinion about what is really going on, or do what you did, which is attack others with pedantic, off-topic rants to try and distract people from the obvious truth that the theme of this thread is simply not true.

I think you have let your HPhan-aticism get the best of you. What I am saying is not anti-HP or anti-TP; it is anti-let's make crap up and ignore reality so we can feel better. I can't imagine why anyone would be opposed to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I don't think anyone was surprised by anything at the HP announcement other than the fact that it was going to take so long for the devices to ship.
    I think people were pretty surprised about the tap to share feature, although we knew about that before the announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    They did originally imply that the annoucned devices would be available within weeks rather than months after the showing.
    That was a pretty big mistake. No matter what they meant, they shouldn't have implied that.

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Hmm... Is Apple rushing their schedule? Has it been about a year since release? Check. Did Apple preempt the 43 tablets announced at CES with their announcement? Nope. Did Apple announce theirs even around the time HP announced theirs? Nope. Well, what did happen?

HP came out with guns blazing, announcing that they would stop announcing products that were not ready to ship soon after. Then, they immediately announce their pad which wasn't near ready to ship. Check. They showed it with software that was not finished. Check. They announced features that had no partnerships or was not installed, (video calling and Beats audio). Check.

My spidey senses tell me that one of the companies was, indeed, shaking in their dinosaur boots at the prospect of a new pad being announced. Hint, it wasn't Apple.
    I kinda agree with you on this one.

So far, nothing has made the original iPad look outdated. Based on all the Xoom reviews I've read, it is incomplete and a work in progress compared to the iPad which is polished and refined. The Xoom left three of its most important differentiators on the cutting room floor because they were in such a rush. Apple could have preempted all of this if they had wanted to. So far, there has been NO competitive reason to do so.
    I think the HP TouchPad actually makes the iPad look outdated. Although that is not that big of an accomplishment considering the iPad was released last year and the TouchPad is coming out this year. The iPad 2 is what HP needs to be targeting, and I think they did a good job. Better then anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I don't think that the iPad 2 is gonna make the TouchPad look outdated... It's gonna have an A5 mystery processor because Apple doesn't want to discuss what's actually under the hood, it's gonna have a camera or two (bam! Factime on the iPad! A true revolution) and that's probably gonna be it. I'm heavily doubting that 2048x1536 rumor, although I'll admit it would be cool.

The iPad 2's killer feature is gonna be that it's an Apple, meaning that 60% of existing iPad users will get one on day one and that there will be much swooning in the media.

<edit> I think it's much more likely for HP to schedule their announcements and launches in accordance to when Apple are doing theirs than the other way around, though.
    SD slot and higher resolution display are out according to Engadget
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    There seems to be a great desire, almost desperation by some, to believe that HP's announcement was so wonderful, it shook the ground under Cupertino. You want to believe that Apple is scrambling, rushing to respond before their lunch gets eaten by the bully.
    I challenge you to find anyone that posted anything similar to "HP's announcement was so wonderful, it shook the ground under Cupertino".

This statement, and the rest of the post, is typical hyperbole.

What HP's announcement did do is give WebOS fans some hope.

I suspect that's what shook the ground, but it wasn't at Cupertino, it was right here on P|C under feet of the WebOS haters that have just about destroyed the forum in the past.

Hparsons, I call you out specifically, not because you are one of those people, but because you know better and have admitted as much, yet even you can't help but offer hope that Apple might be reacting to the mighty HP.
    I suggest you go back and reread what I've said. I'll use smaller words to make sure it's easy for you.

I do not think Apple moved up the release date

As far as offering up hope - I don't call it hope, I call it a possibility. It is. It really doesn't matter, other than being a topic for conversation. I'll repeat, I don't think they did. I'll also repeat, I don't know, and I certainly can see reasons for them doing so.
    Apple is too arrogant to fear what others are announcing.

Apple typically releases the next version of a product one year after the last. The room Apple will use in April for the roll-out was booked months ago.

I think we have it backwards. Apple did not move the March 2 event up. That room was also booked months ago.

Apple held back the announcement of the March 2 event as long as they could to make their announcement two days before the Xoom shipped.

While the hardware is set, Apple will be frantically working on the presentation slides until the night before. Apple will be talking Bump-like features. They may even talk up their portfolio of NFC patents.

Do you think some of those who were going to get a Xoom this week might be waiting now?

Is Apple more concerned about the coming flood of Honeycomb tablets today or Palm products "planned" for this summer?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 02/25/2011 at 02:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

Apple typically releases the next version of a product one year after the last. The room Apple will use in April for the roll-out was booked months ago.

I think we have it backwards. Apple did not move the March 2 event up. That room was also booked months ago.

Apple held back the announcement of the March 2 event as long as they could to make their announcement two days before the Xoom shipped.

While the hardware is set, Apple will be frantically working on the presentation slides until the night before. Apple will be talking Bump-like features. They may even talk up their portfolio of NFC patents.

Do you think some of those who were going to get a Xoom this week might be waiting now?

Is Apple more concerned about the coming flood of Honeycomb tablets today or Palm products "planned" for this summer?
    Exactly. Thumbs up.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Does it need two cameras or just a front camera?
    Interesting thread. One minor clarification. You only need one front facing camera for Facetime.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Just because I don't notice ants on the sidewalk does this make me arrogant with regard to ants? Even though those same ants may have the potential to overrun my house, I don't take notice of them until they become a problem.

...heh - or I take preventative measures with a chemical barrier around my house, or by buying up all of next year's LCD production potential.
    Just because I don't notice ants on the sidewalk does this make me arrogant with regard to ants? Even though those same ants may have the potential to overrun my house, I don't take notice of them until they become a problem.

...heh - or I take preventative measures with a chemical barrier around my house, or by buying up all of next year's LCD production potential.
    That's a senseless and incorrect analogy.

You arent competing with your ants, but Apple IS competing with HP, Google, Motorola, HTC and LG. Not to mention that size wise, Apple is the ant copared to HP, among others (Apple, 60,000 employees, HP, 310,000 employees).

It's ridiculous and blatantly ignorant to think that Apple isn't watching thier competitors, Kupe, seriously.

Apples "arogance", versus "Apple just doing what they do well" will be clearly apparent in hindsight, after this all plays out, some time later this year, after most of the competition has hit the market, along with the iPad2.

One more thing, on the possiblity of Apple moving up the iPad2 announcement date: we do not know, nor will we ever know what Apple's inside information yeilded about the HP WebOS tablet, and, if, or not, they felt threatened enough to plan thier marketting and production plans accordingly.

If they did, it would make complete business sense to do so, but, it's quite possible that they knew all about it, and didn't fear it, or HP, at all, and just carried on with business as usual.

I personally believe they fear all of the competitors in this market, because they have all jumped in with both feet, and that could put the whole market into a very undominatable one, unless they can try to gain enough momentum in the beginning to become the leader, at least in the consuming public's eye.

But, we shall see - it will be interesting to watch.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 03/02/2011 at 07:27 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Not to mention that size wise, Apple is the ant copared to HP, among others (Apple, 60,000 employees, HP, 310,000 employees).
    But we are talking about the Tablet and mobile space - HP is currently irrelevant. Yes they have lots of guys knocking out cheap printers and grey boxes - means absolutely nothing in the mobile space.

Once HP manage to outsell ZTE or Wangtrong or any other Chinese OEM, we might think about how they impact the big players in the mobile space but at the moment it's all potential and possibilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But we are talking about the Tablet and mobile space - HP is currently irrelevant. Yes they have lots of guys knocking out cheap printers and grey boxes - means absolutely nothing in the mobile space.

Once HP manage to outsell ZTE or Wangtrong or any other Chinese OEM, we might think about how they impact the big players in the mobile space but at the moment it's all potential and possibilities.
    CGK;

All of Apple's competitors, and potential competitors ARE absolutely relevant - I can guarantee you that Apple publically won't say that, but internally, they are like every other corporation, and competing companies are extremely high priority visuals on their radar.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 03/02/2011 at 08:29 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post

You contridict yourself.

Potential and possibilities = relevancy.
    Heard rumors that the iPad2 is not that big of a deal, but the iPad3 coming in the fall of this year now that will be a head turner and will change everything again. Just a rumor i read.
    iPad 2 release date and spec outed on Amazon Germany | News | TechRadar UK

IPAD 2 has 9.7" screen, 1.2GHz processor(dual???), and thunderbolt(intel light peak/super fast data port)
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I don't think Apple moved their announce date. I just haven't seen anything that would convince me that they are that worried AT THIS POINT.

Specs of each device aside, unless/until there is a viable app store available for the Touchpad, it will have a hard time competing with the iPad (1 or 2).
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I think the HP TouchPad actually makes the iPad look outdated. Although that is not that big of an accomplishment considering the iPad was released last year and the TouchPad is coming out this year. The iPad 2 is what HP needs to be targeting, and I think they did a good job. Better then anyone else.
    It makes the iPad look outdated by using the exact same screen size, aspect ratio, resolution, and reliance on a hardware button for navigation?

Riiiight.

Anybody targeting the iPad or the iPad 2 or the iPad 17 is destined to fail.

Anybody targeting the iPad's 60,000 tablet-optimized apps, easy content ecosystem, and widespread retail availability at least stands a chance. A good one, in fact, depending on how well they understand this.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    That's a senseless and incorrect analogy.

You arent competing with your ants, but Apple IS competing with HP, Google, Motorola, HTC and LG. Not to mention that size wise, Apple is the ant copared to HP, among others (Apple, 60,000 employees, HP, 310,000 employees).

It's ridiculous and blatantly ignorant to think that Apple isn't watching thier competitors, Kupe, seriously.

Apples "arogance", versus "Apple just doing what they do well" will be clearly apparent in hindsight, after this all plays out, some time later this year, after most of the competition has hit the market, along with the iPad2.

One more thing, on the possiblity of Apple moving up the iPad2 announcement date: we do not know, nor will we ever know what Apple's inside information yeilded about the HP WebOS tablet, and, if, or not, they felt threatened enough to plan thier marketting and production plans accordingly.

If they did, it would make complete business sense to do so, but, it's quite possible that they knew all about it, and didn't fear it, or HP, at all, and just carried on with business as usual.

I personally believe they fear all of the competitors in this market, because they have all jumped in with both feet, and that could put the whole market into a very undominatable one, unless they can try to gain enough momentum in the beginning to become the leader, at least in the consuming public's eye.

But, we shall see - it will be interesting to watch.
    I'm pleased to see you feel so strongly about this non-issue.
    I'm pleased to see you feel so strongly about this non-issue.
    Strongly? Non-issue

You are the one who made the reply post with the poor analogy in what appears to be an attempt to make a case toyour point of view - THAT implies you may have stronger feelings about it than you want to admit, doesnt it?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast