View Poll Results: Did Apple announce iPad 2 early because of touchpad?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was better than they thought it would be

41 28.47%
  • No, they were always planning on March 2 or moved it up because of Steve Jobs' health

103 71.53%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I'm sorry I should have been more specific. From a hardware setup it is starting to look that way. That and Apple just likes to cut in line.
    I don't get it. If you mean the iPad loses in a spec sheet contest, fine. I agree. I don't really think the average consumer knows what any of those specs mean. What they know is that when they turn on an iPad, it comes to life, instantly. When they move their finger on the screen, there is a one to one correlation with something happening on the screen with no discernible latency.

What does dual-core mean for the experience? Anything? There are no dual-core apps for mobile devices. There are no apps for tablets outside of the App Store. So what do those specs mean to the end user. What exactly is getting stale besides the meaningless spec wars?

Apple likes to cut in, you say? Who did they cut in front of? What thunder did they try to steal? I am still trying to wrap my mind around the main theme of this thread. Apple has not moved their schedule up for any reason. If anything, their late! Apple did not step on the major competitor announcements with news of the iPad 2. Did you want Apple to not release an iPad 2? Should they be silent and give the competition a year or two to catch up? How have they jumped in? Who have they jumped in front of? Legit questions, please enlighten.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Does it need two cameras or just a front camera?
    The FT system on the iPhone and iPt use both the front and rear camera. There is a button when on a video call that allows you to seamlessly switch to the rear camera to show something of interest to the person you are talking to without having to turn the phone around and frame things correctly. It is a two camera system. One camera on the iPad would be odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The iPad announcement was in January 2009, right after CES, and it arrived at stores on April 3 or something so this is almost exactly one year later. That's what everyone is expecting. I don't think anyone was surprised by anything at the HP announcement other than the fact that it was going to take so long for the devices to ship.
    Just to be sure I understand.

January - April is OK (4 months)
    February - June is not (5 months)

Must have something to do with brand...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

I didn't know the TP was announced for June. I could have sworn they said summer.

You might recall Apple presenting an SDK and a period for developers to ready their apps for the new ecosystem. Did I miss that in HP's announcement?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I didn't know the TP was announced for June. I could have sworn they said summer.

You might recall Apple presenting an SDK and a period for developers to ready their apps for the new ecosystem. Did I miss that in HP's announcement?
    June is summer. But we'll even go with July.
    So 4 months was perfect, 6 months is a total fail.

Like I said, must be the brand.

Oh yeah, and the fan base.

Enyo is avialable right now. There are already apps being readied for their ecosystem.
    I think I missed the part where you commented on topic. Read the subject. Thoughts? Or is this just an Apple v. HP thing that got lost in the forum.
    I think I missed the part where you commented on topic. Read the subject. Thoughts? Or is this just an Apple v. HP thing that got lost in the forum.
    What I think is even more interesting is that when the original post that veered (no pun intended, off topic or not) by UntidyGuy, that was OK. My response was OK by you as well, enough so that you responded to it. Now that I've pointed out that June is summer, it's suddenly off topic.

However, I'll appease you. I don't think Apple changed their date, but it is possible. Some like to point at the 1 year difference; however, one could also say that their last iPad followed 4 months after their initial announcement, so one could argue that their original plan was the same, and they changed it when they saw a device that beat them in several areas.

But, I don't really think so.

But then what do I know, I somehow thought that June was in summer. At least on aPhan on here seems to disagree.

I'll also point out, it's a bit odd to ask a question that's off-topic, then complain that it's off topic. You asked. I answered.
    to the OP, these events are plannedmonths in advanced, and impossible to reschedulee.

and apple doesn't reasct to what others do. Ever.
    I wonder how you get away with using aPhan so freely without censure, even though you clearly mean it as a pejorative. I know, not my department.

You are so fond of calling mods to your aid when someone veers off topic. It is such an offense to you, I thought you would appreciated being gently corrected when you strayed. My bad.

Apple could not be considered late to deliver as they were releasing a new thing into a vacuum. There was no competition, thus, no competitive pressure. The same cannot be said for HP. This is a time when announcing, then delaying can take you completely out of the race. There was no race a year ago. Even so, there were still a couple of companies trying to beat Apple to the punch. Where are they now? HP simply cannot afford this delay.

As for the topic, it seems we actually agree for the limited purposes of this thread. Apple is not bumping their announcement. Why don't we stay on topic and leave it at that. What say you?
    I don't think Apple cared either way?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I wonder how you get away with using aPhan so freely without censure, even though you clearly mean it as a pejorative. I know, not my department.

You are so fond of calling mods to your aid when someone veers off topic. It is such an offense to you, I thought you would appreciated being gently corrected when you strayed. My bad.
    I consider it descriptive. It's a play on Apple, iPhone, and Fan. You can decide if it's perjorative, I certainly do not feel it's so.

I also use PreFan, and in the past used PalmFan. If the Pre/Palm devices used phone, I would likely call them PrePhans.

I also refer to HP and Palm as HPalm, that's not perjorative either.

I would suggest that rather than offerince correction, you grow thicker skin.

Apple could not be considered late to deliver as they were releasing a new thing into a vacuum.
    No sir, there were tablets out. You're tunnel vision is kicking in again.

HP simply cannot afford this delay.
    Maybe you know something more about their business than they do. Apparently they feel they can afford it. I suppose time will tell.

However, I will agree that sooner would be better.

As for the topic, it seems we actually agree for the limited purposes of this thread. Apple is not bumping their announcement. Why don't we stay on topic and leave it at that. What say you?
    Oooops, seems I already missed that opportunity. Of course, I was simply answering your questions. I suppose you would rather they have remained unanswered so your implications would be all that remained....
    Why should apple care about hp touchpad? Even if ipad2 comes out with very minimum upgrade, iPad2 is far more usable than touchpad. What r u going to use with touchpad? After spending $500+, just to browse Internet and check email? Showing your family member about true multitasking by opening 20 browsers? Lol.
    I doubt hp touchpad can out sold even a year old iPad since apple probably is going to slash the price to like $400 after they release iPad 2

Sent from Tapatalk
    No sir, there were tablets out. You're tunnel vision is kicking in again.
    That is outlandish! What pads defined the market at the time? What was Apple's competition? Wait, don't answer. That really would take this off topic. I will meet you in A v. HP.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I continue to be amazed at the resale value, which for me was a motivation for spending 680.00 on a 64Gb 3G ipad. Even today it looks like I can get at or close to 600.00 for an item I have had since November. That's nuts. I wish any cell phone, TV or computer would hold value that long. But if HP can even up or come close, I will still go with it. The flash thing is a total bummer with the ipad. Drives me nuts. I'm not comfortable jailbreaking something that is so expensive when it's heartbeat comes from an online software program.
    Crossing my fingers for the HP.
    That is outlandish! What pads defined the market at the time? What was Apple's competition? Wait, don't answer. That really would take this off topic. I will meet you in A v. HP.
    Every tablet that was out. That was the competiton. They (Apple) outsold them. Bettered them enough that they redefined the entire market.

However, they by no stretch of the imagination released "a new thing into a vacuum", which was the claim.

So no, they don't get a pass on their 4 month delay, and everyone else now expected to do better than that.
    Every tablet that was out. That was the competiton. They (Apple) outsold them. Bettered them enough that they redefined the entire market.

However, they by no stretch of the imagination released "a new thing into a vacuum", which was the claim.

So no, they don't get a pass on their 4 month delay, and everyone else now expected to do better than that.
    All I will say is that's silly, and you are in the wrong thread. Move it to A v. HP as I have already done.

iPad: 27 Jan 2010 announcement to 3 Apr 2010 release = 2 months 1 week.

TP: 9 Feb 2011 announcement to at least 22 Jun 2011 (first day of summer) release = 4.5 months.

Some might say it's the difference between a "few weeks" and a few months.
    White iPhone 4: 6 June 2010 announcement to....... um...

Some might say it's the difference between being an infallible, angelic band of brothers that has merely run into into a few minor restocking issues and being a bumbling, clueless dinosaur corporation whose only interest is lying to people.

You'll have to understand, HP should be able to engineer from scratch and produce millions and millions of units of a handful of different new devices (remember that the Pre's initial supply couldn't keep up with the demand for it, which is what Sprint regretted about the launch) with flawless build quality in a matter of months as everything else is an utter failure for a corporation as huge as HP.
    On the other hand, making stuff be white is really difficult, so where's the problem?
    (Steve Jobs LIED when he said the white iPhone would "come soon" last year. He should be fired immediately! It was either purposeful lying or ignorance of what's going on in his own company! BUT HE LIED IN ANY CASE!)

Yeah, it's the brand alright.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 02/25/2011 at 06:59 AM.
    Can someone please explain what Apple has to fear from HP right now that would force them to change release schedules? That is a huge task, and I see nothing from HP that would force Apple to do so. Sure HP has a nice looking pad and the pre3 looks good, but that's it... no pricing, no timing, no carriers, no indication that the hardware and software is ready for mass production... it's all still vaporware at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimijames View Post
    Can someone please explain what Apple has to fear from HP right now that would force them to change release schedules? That is a huge task, and I see nothing from HP that would force Apple to do so. Sure HP has a nice looking pad and the pre3 looks good, but that's it... no pricing, no timing, no carriers, no indication that the hardware and software is ready for mass production... it's all still vaporware at this point.
    You answered your own question. What does Apple have to "fear" from HP that would cause them to move up the date:

Pricing, a nice looking product being ready for mass production. Those things aren't available now which would make an earlier release for Apple preferable to a later release.

I still don't think they moved it up, but I still think it's possible they did.

BTW, the TouchPad is a WiFi device. No carrier needed.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast