Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi Guys

iPad2 coming end of March this is crazy, cause there is no sign of HP TouchPad, how is HP going to compete if there product is still some where. At this rate HP might as well hold off till next year.

Sources: New iPad will be available around the end of March | 9 to 5 Mac Sources: New iPad will be available around the end of March | Apple Intelligence

I swear HP is killing themselves, and still HP is sitting silently with no word to where HP products are coming and who the carrier will be. NICE GOING HP GREAT PRPRPR $MOVE$!!!!!!!!!!!
    Some firm thinks there will be a delay until June. I don't know how reliable they are.

iPad 2 delayed until June? | Apple - CNET News

But March 2 seems to be the announce date, so I don't know why they would wait until June. That'd be like HP all over again.

Then there's another rumor of iPhone 5 being delayed until Sept. Yikes!!

iPhone 5 Might Not Launch Until September

Well if these turn out to be true(and I'm not certain they are), HP has no excuse not to make a name for itself in the mobile world, for the time being.
    They've just been handed a reprieve if this turns out to be true.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Hopefully they'll learn, and are working on 2012 devices now to ship in spring
    That delay rumor is now disputed by Reuters. Possibe market manipulation, supposedly Apple's stock did go down over that rumor.

Reuters, others dispute iPad delay claims [updated iPhone too] | 9 to 5 Mac Reuters, others dispute iPad delay claims [updated iPhone too] | Apple Intelligence

I don't know what's the truth, but I guess we'll find out on March 2.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    the june thing i think is misinformation. i dont think they would have come back so fast regarding shipping date on schedule if it were not true.... HP needs to push it harder.. at this point i would go ballls to the wall to optimize webos 3.0 and put pre3 on hold.
    they cannnot give up any more market share like this!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    I think a lot of companies have a lot at stake in the pad game. It serves the interests of competitors to make people think the iPad will not be out for a while. It also temporarily hurts Apple stock, but that will be corrected soon enough.

I think Moto is rushing the Xoom out the door just to get ahead of the iPad 2, eventhough the Xoom will be missing its "killer" feature: Flash. This is why everyone announced HC tablets without even having access to HC. This is also why HP announced the HPiPad so far in advance. No one wants another 10M iPads sold before their product gets on the shelf.

At risk of sounding like an iFan, it seems like the mobile industry has been holding its breath, waiting for the other shoe to drop. The other shoe is the iPad 2.
    Apple just sent out official invites for March 2, so it is safe to say it's coming soon after. No "summer" release window here.
    The line for the iPad 2 starts behind me.

Posting ten steps away from the Apple Store, Summit entrance.
    I've been in the "No tablets from anybody, thanks" line for a while. Don't see myself getting out of it.
    I really don't there is as much urgency to release this tablet as you guys make it seem. It's a relatively new market, one that doesn't appear to be going anywhere soon, and their's plenty of room for the market to grow. Apple is going to be the leader for the forsee able future. HP's going to take there time and come out with a seed worth planting.

No need for a repeat of the Pre's release, with a half-baked, rushed to marker OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I really don't there is as much urgency to release this tablet as you guys make it seem. It's a relatively new market, one that doesn't appear to be going anywhere soon, and their's plenty of room for the market to grow. Apple is going to be the leader for the forsee able future. HP's going to take there time and come out with a seed worth planting.

No need for a repeat of the Pre's release, with a half-baked, rushed to marker OS.
    I think it's the exact opposite. Rubinstein blamed the failure the first time around partially on the inability to beat the Droid to Verizon (uhh...no, but I digress). For every tablet save for the iPad, carriers are again the gatekeepers. And again, Honeycomb tablets will beat them to market handily.

I know HP is releasing a wi-fi only model, but both the Xoom and Playbook wi-fi only versions should be on the market at least a couple of months before "summer".

If HP was truly unconcerned with keeping up with this rush, there would be no Feb. 9 event full of alpha/beta software, no carrier agreements and unanswered questions. They most certainly are aware that coming in last puts them at a significant disadvantage.
    well I think Palm's situation is a bit different than HP's situation. Leading up the the launch of the Pre, palm was already hurting. They were banking on near term success, because without it, there would be no long term.

Obviously, they didn't find the success they needed to survive. HP doesn't need their first webOS devices to be blockbusters. Of course they would like them to be, but its not crucial to the survival of the mobile strategy. Just as android didn't need the G1 to be a smash hit. HP has the money to whether the storm.

It appears that HPs approach will be to have ALL of their chips in place before the tablet launch, then slowly start eating away at marketshare, with an extremely large focus on the enterprise and pro-sumer market . They have a unique opportunity to leverage their existing products and services in order to find success in this space, but the OS has to be ziplock tight in order for this strategy to work.

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have this thing in my hands right now. But not if it was a buggy mess. If it was ready, and fully integrated with HPs existing services, launching it now would not only be a good idea, it would have been good for the near term and long term.

But since it clearly isn't ready, I think its smart to wait until they can offer a truly unique experience that ties in seamlessly with HPs other products. A few months down the road, that will be the differentiating factor between the touchpad and its competition.

I also think that the notion that if HP doesn't get into the market now, then it will be dominated by Apple and Android FOREVER (dramatic saturday cartoon voice) is a bit of a stretch. If there's anything i've learned in the last 5 years, its that the mobile market is anything but set in stone.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 02/23/2011 at 02:16 PM.

Xoom will take early adopters with cash, just like the Galaxy S Tab did. Optimus Pad and the Playbook will also take early adopters. Add to this group, those who don't like Apple. And iPad will take almost everyone else interested in a tablet. You really believe it's not a good idea to have your product ready sooner??? The 2011 market will be sewn up by the others, whichever side you choose.

HP should have gotten in with the early adopter crowd now, even if they couldn't take on Apple totally.

well I think Palm's situation is a bit different than HP's situation. Leading up the the launch of the Pre, palm was already hurting. They were banking on near term success, because without it, there would be no long term.
    The one thing Palm and HP have in common is they're both selling a product nobody wants to buy. HP probably has a better chance of turning that around but, so far, they haven't shown many signs of doing so.
    I really don't there is as much urgency to release this tablet as you guys make it seem. ...

many say the Playstation 3 is better then the xbox with its bluray player. But it came a year late and it's been behind ever since. Even the Wii which came late and had an initial surge of users has fallen back. That said i should be noted that Wii technically is aimed at a much younger, thus different market, then the more adult based 360 and PS3. But if you have to buy one at xmas they may still be competitors in some sense. Regardless i think there are some examples where being first matters.

And in the case of the PS3 being second and better doesn't matter.

My concern about the touchpad is, it seems second and NOT better. NOt saying it's bad. It's not. But i think specs only go so far. And if as according to the podcast yesterday, they've done little with big developers, little with big companies, and don't have apps like the kindle app or netflix available or at least ready. I think they have issues. Most people arent' buying these cause they want a tablet. Most are buying an ipad cause they want an ipad. And they want an ipad because of all the apps functionality that come with that. I think for HP that's what they have to address to dent the apple market share. because you can only go so far with just an expensive webrowser.

point is if they are late, they can't just be just as good, or have better specs, the entire package needs to be leaps and bounds better. And I don't mean merely hardware. And i think HP has massive work to do in that area cause what i see is still a lot of catch up playing. And that may not get it done. i wish them the best though.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    many say the Playstation 3 is better then the xbox with its bluray player. But it came a year late and it's been behind ever since. Even the Wii which came late and had an initial surge of users has fallen back. That said i should be noted that Wii technically is aimed at a much younger, thus different market, then the more adult based 360 and PS3. But if you have to buy one at xmas they may still be competitors in some sense. Regardless i think there are some examples where being first matters.

And in the case of the PS3 being second and better doesn't matter.

My concern about the touchpad is, it seems second and NOT better. NOt saying it's bad. It's not. But i think specs only go so far. And if as according to the podcast yesterday, they've done little with big developers, little with big companies, and don't have apps like the kindle app or netflix available or at least ready. I think they have issues. Most people arent' buying these cause they want a tablet. Most are buying an ipad cause they want an ipad. And they want an ipad because of all the apps functionality that come with that. I think for HP that's what they have to address to dent the apple market share. because you can only go so far with just an expensive webrowser.

point is if they are late, they can't just be just as good, or have better specs, the entire package needs to be leaps and bounds better. And I don't mean merely hardware. And i think HP has massive work to do in that area cause what i see is still a lot of catch up playing. And that may not get it done. i wish them the best though.
    I think you've been on the right track.

HP needs to think Nook. All these mobile OS tablets are good for anyways is running simple apps, reading, light web browsing, and casual games. Find that 299 price and go with it. They're basically big smartphones. But good enough for many people's simple needs that don't need laptops.

The real tablet worth buying in the future (that will deserve the name) will be a windows 8 tablet (even before the ipad, many wanted some kind of mac tablet). You can bet MS is working on Office for this. As for simple apps, browsing, watching video, that's a piece of cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Xoom will take early adopters with cash, just like the Galaxy S Tab did. Optimus Pad and the Playbook will also take early adopters. Add to this group, those who don't like Apple. And iPad will take almost everyone else interested in a tablet. You really believe it's not a good idea to have your product ready sooner??? The 2011 market will be sewn up by the others, whichever side you choose.

HP should have gotten in with the early adopter crowd now, even if they couldn't take on Apple totally.
    no, i definitely think it would have been better to get it out sooner, but not if it was unfinished. I also don't think not getting it out now spells instant doom. Its not like people will stop buying tablets after this round of products. HP has a long term plan. The tablet market is in its infancy and nothing is set in stone in this industry.
    This thread is like a pool of haterade,but more on topic I can't see the ipad being released any later than may.
    Hate? I see people concerned that HP did not get their pad out sooner, I being one of them. I would have like to see everything it had to offer before the iPad 2 is released. I like the one company does everything model.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think you've been on the right track.

HP needs to think Nook. All these mobile OS tablets are good for anyways is running simple apps, reading, light web browsing, and casual games. Find that 299 price and go with it. They're basically big smartphones. But good enough for many people's simple needs that don't need laptops.

The real tablet worth buying in the future (that will deserve the name) will be a windows 8 tablet (even before the ipad, many wanted some kind of mac tablet). You can bet MS is working on Office for this. As for simple apps, browsing, watching video, that's a piece of cake.
    well i wasn't trying to say not go after the ipad. i was saying be better.

I was trying to say:
    • don't be second to the market
    • If you are not first to market whatever you release must be drastically better then the competition. (example ipod wasn't the first mp3 just drastically better then what came before)
    • What qualifies as "drastically better" is not merely better specs and processors but the features and services your product provides.

but i definitely was not saying be like the nook which i actually used yesterday and hated. i pay a couple hundred more for an ipad any day. The ipad ibook reader is light years better too. So it even bests the nook at the nooks core function, reading books. But my point was stop being second best.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast