Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Hate? I see people concerned that HP did not get their pad out sooner, I being one of them. I would have like to see everything it had to offer before the iPad 2 is released. I like the one company does everything model.
    They just need to get it right unlink the pre-. I am happy that they are not pushing like Motorola with a 7 from Engadget. The funny part is that if you look at the browser preview its like a webOS ad.
    Second best is not always a bad thing if you can still turn a profit. Somebody's got to be second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    They just need to get it right unlink the pre-. I am happy that they are not pushing like Motorola with a 7 from Engadget. The funny part is that if you look at the browser preview its like a webOS ad.
    Unlink the Pre? How do you mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Unlink the Pre? How do you mean?
    I like my Pre- but i would have to say that it was released unfinished and rushed. Pre was a good name for it, but they might has well of called it beta. Between build quality issues and software issues the Pre- was not a refined product of a thriving company, but a compromised product of a company on its death bed. Pre- was still the best Phone on sprint when it was released, but it was not the best experience as noted by its current market share. If the Pre- would have launched with Pre+'s build quality and extra ram Palm might have had a shot. Even the Pre-'s build quality improved over time. Hopefully the reboot is what most people on these forums have been waiting for, not a repeat of past mistakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    no, i definitely think it would have been better to get it out sooner, but not if it was unfinished. I also don't think not getting it out now spells instant doom. Its not like people will stop buying tablets after this round of products. HP has a long term plan. The tablet market is in its infancy and nothing is set in stone in this industry.
    I reconsidered a bit. Coming back home, I see the Xoom release certainly bears out your thoughts. It is clearly unfinished and people aren't happy, especially at it's price point. Motorola is looking like it's quite incompetent right now(which isn't all that surprising IMO). HP really shouldn't want to end up like that.

But how much you want to bet iPad 2 will be ready within a month of announcement? Unless the "unfinished but released" tablet jinx somehow hits Apple too.

But once it's released, if the specs and price are accepted by the masses like the first one was, not many people will be looking at much else. Unless like I said, they don't want Apple. HP does have a chance to catch those people but with no hardware ready, this could get sticky since there are also 2 other tablets coming sooner if the Xoom isn't for those people(PlayBook, Optimus Pad). Provided they don't also mess up their releases. I did see the rumor of an April HP release, well that's certainly welcome news if true.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Maybe its just me, but if BB wants the Playbook to be a success they have to launch it with a killer phone, or at least a phone that looks killer. The fact that you need a BB to use some of the capabilities of the Playbook will likely hurt the mass adoption rate. Now enterprise might be a different story...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I reconsidered a bit. Coming back home, I see the Xoom release certainly bears out your thoughts. It is clearly unfinished and people aren't happy, especially at it's price point. Motorola is looking like it's quite incompetent right now(which isn't all that surprising IMO). HP really shouldn't want to end up like that.

But how much you want to bet iPad 2 will be ready within a month of announcement? Unless the "unfinished but released" tablet jinx somehow hits Apple too.

But once it's released, if the specs and price are accepted by the masses like the first one was, not many people will be looking at much else. Unless like I said, they don't want Apple. HP does have a chance to catch those people but with no hardware ready, this could get sticky since there are also 2 other tablets coming sooner if the Xoom isn't for those people(PlayBook, Optimus Pad). Provided they don't also mess up their releases. I did see the rumor of an April HP release, well that's certainly welcome news if true.
    I doubt apple will screw up their launch. They could sell a ball of feces and their fans would buy it. I'd bet that apple has enough rabid fans to keep them at number one, even if all competitors launched better products before them. And HP knows this. Since they can't get it out any sooner, they launch this summer, when its ready. Internally, they'll have set modest component orders and sales goals. They'll meet their sales expectations. They won't gain a whole lot of marketshare, but their successful marketing campaign (and word of mouth) will net them plenty of mindshare. Some owners of competing tablets will have buyers remorse, and vow to get the touchpad2.

they're taking the tortoise approach. this is a marathon not a sprint. HP will be fine in the long run, especially since HP has a reach larger than all of the competitors. By this time next year, webOS will be everywhere.
    Here is the March 2 event leak:
    Apple to Unveil IPad 2 on March 2 in San Francisco | Kara Swisher | BoomTown | AllThingsD

Here is a Xoom vs iPad 1 comparison aticle from the Wall Street Journal:
    Motorola's Xoom Is iPad's First Real Rival - WSJ.com

...that will not be relevant by next week...
    According to this, iPad 2 has a spec bump, is thinner and has a camera. Xoom certainly looks better on paper. Too bad Sanjay thinks everyone will jump on Verizon at $600-$800 for a pad that needs to be sent back to install the 4G and does not have Flash ready. Two of it's main selling points. In the meantime, the wifi version is MIA.

Sources: iPad 2 lands in thinner body with spec bump and cameras, SD slot and higher resolution display are out -- Engadget

All Apple has to do is keep current price points for iPad 2, and discount iPad 1 until inventory is sold. And kick **** with iOS 4.3 features. One thing they did right was getting the wifi no-strings version out early while everyone else seems to think "people love carrier agreements". Which apparently they do not, especially if the price gets prohibitive.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    rumor about new ipad doesn't impress me at all. Looks like a later released touchpad will be still comparable.
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    rumor about new ipad doesn't impress me at all. Looks like a later released touchpad will be still comparable.
    OK, but play that out.

If you match most of the specs of the existing market leader, isn't your only option to discount...

...a lot?

...no more than that...
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    It might be comparable but not in sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    If the rumors of the iPad 3 and iPad Nano this fall are true, this makes sense. Apple might be accelerating the development cycles like everyone else is.

As I read this article, they have a huge amount of detail on specific models and order quatities. It is either real or an elaborate hoax.

As it stands, Apple is expected to introduce the second-generation iPad in three variants and several different capacities. In addition to WiFi and GSM-based models targeted at AT&T and a broad range of European 3G providers, a CDMA version catering to Verizon and some Far Eastern providers is also reportedly in the cards. These models are reportedly code-named K93, K94, and K5, and carry initial build volumes of 1.9 million, 2.3 million and 0.8 million, respectively.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 02/26/2011 at 12:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    The TouchPad offers features the iPad does not - specs. aren't everything - there is much to be said for overall user experience - not everyone wants/needs/covets/worships/wants-a-copy-of-an-Apple-device.

FWIW - I think it, (the TouchPad), will do quite well. - I'm looking forward to a Pre3 and a TouchPad this Spring/Summer.

webOS offers some compelling features, and a great, intuitive UI. ...and it doesn't need/have to copy the iPad. HP is new at this whole "ecosystem" interconnected, webOS "thing" - the next year should be quite interesting - HP is on the right track.

I'll be glad when everyone who thinks HP is such a failure as a company, finally buy a device that makes them happy, and move on. (or, just spend their time writing hate mail directly to HP.) ;-)

It seems every few mins. there is another "how can HP survive", "epic fail", and, "webOS/HP is doomed", thread started... often by the same people, re-hashing the same old complaints, often disguising it by asking a question.

They all say the same thing.... (sigh) ...and it's funny, I've spend some time browsing the Android Forums, and have never seen these types of threads over there... (mostly BB and WIN7 trollers), and NONE from folks that have a signature line that say: "sent from my Pre" - like so many here. ...funny how some people get their "jollys" by pushing other people's buttons.

I know, I know - "don't like it - don't read it" - ...I just keep coming back to the fact that this IS a Pre/HP/Palm forum - and it seems some folks are going out of their way to annoy other members sometimes. ...

or, maybe I should just stop checking in. it's not as "nice" a place as it used to be. too much anger and bitterness.

_rant over_ sorry.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12