Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    They've been doing it for years.
    Laptops, with lower specs, have always cost more than a desktop with higher specs.
    You are paying for the portability when buying a laptop over a desktop.

A tablet and laptop are about the same in portability. BUT, you are losing a ton of usability in picking the more expensive tablet over a laptop. Why would a consumer pay more for a tablet and less usability, when they can get a similarly portable netbook or laptop with more usuability for less money?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by "profit-share of the market".

If you simply meant "profit", I doubt HP is trying to put a dent in Apple's profi. I suspect they simply want to improve their own.

If you meant "profit and share of the market", I disagree. Android has definitly put, not only a dent, but a major dent in Apples market share.
    Android didn't gain market share from Apple deflectors but rather as being the only viable alternative to the iPhone on all U.S. carriers. Let's see how things look in six months to a year now that the iPhone is on the two largest U.S. carriers.
  3.    #23  
    Talk about phones and their technologies is great. Talk about each other will be deleted. Criticizing each other will receive an infraction. Please report those posts right away so that we can take action.

Final warning for this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Android didn't gain market share from Apple deflectors but rather as being the only viable alternative to the iPhone on all U.S. carriers. Let's see how things look in six months to a year now that the iPhone is on the two largest U.S. carriers.
    Shouldn't they look pretty much like the rest of the world where the iPhone is on every carrier, yet HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, et al are doing just fine?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    At the risk of sounding redundant, I fail to see how this Apple fetish benefits HP. Why the heck would HP be trying to beat Apple? First, if they feel the need to directly compete with someone, why Apple? Why not Google or MS? To me, the idea of HP competing with Apple is as silly as Ford declaring they are competing with BMW, or Mercedes. Why?

That is not who HP is or ever was. They are bending way outside their core competency to enter this race. They are not good at this stuff. This is not what made them HP. It could certainly unmake them, though...
    I like your car analogy.

HP makes low-end, mid, and high-end products in almost every market they are in. They are like Toyota with Lexus, and Scion product lines as well.

HP is not announcing Cricket or Virgin Mobile products for the low end. They are not announcing mid range products either. HP is targeting the high end luxury car market with the Pre 3 and the high end SUV market with the TouchPad. They have also Veered off into the Cooper Mini market.

If you are going to go up against BMW you need to innovate and offer some great new features no one else has. But first you need the 100 basic things like power locks and windows and air conditioning as good as the existing competition.

It doesn't matter what new feature you offer if the A/C and window API's are locked out by the factory.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 02/22/2011 at 01:26 PM.
    While I agree with the basic premise here, I would have to say, I expect iPhone sales in the US to be more lopsided (in favor of Apple) than in other countries. Face it, in the US we as consumers are bit more prone to picking technology based on trendy brands rather than functionality.
    Other Apple products certainly have a higher market share in the US than many foreign markets (particularly the Apple Mac computers).
    Check out Engadget...

The winners of the 2010 Engadget Awards -- Readers' Choice -- Engadget

I think it speaks loudly about the one company that makes the most desirable products that most people want.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    It's already been said that the China no names are using a version of Android that is not the official Google Android and not part of the Goole system. The took Android and modified it for their own use outside of the Google world.

Just to be clear about this, the version of android used by China OEM is only used *in* china. Anywhere else, they ship with standard Android. (I had three chinese tablets on my desk today - one retails for 120! It was perfectly functional).
    If

If Jobs is unable to continue to lead Apple, I give them about a 50/50 chance of running into some major troubles in the next 3-4 years.
    For example, they might come out with another Newton.. That's what happened when Steve left the first time..
    The toughest transition for any company is the "Founder's Trap" and that's that period of transition when the Founder either 1) moves out of the way, in favor of a manager who is more appropriate at that point in the business' life, but usually at the expense of a cultural shock, or 2) DOESN'T move out of the way, continuing to try to run the company like he or she did when it was a fast-growing enterprise with very little to lose.

The skills/interests/passions of a "Founder" who actually takes nothing, and makes something, are so very different -- if not at cross purposes -- from the skills/interests/passions of a "Manager" (CEO COO, etc) who takes something big, with a lot to lose, and manages it to the benefit of stakeholders (BOD, stock holders, consumers, etc).

Many, many companies flail in this transition, at least initially. Apple was no different. I trust they have learned from that, as did HP, IBM, McDonalds and every other company that at one time fell victim to this management school cliche.
  11.    #31  
    The general discussions about Apple vs HP Leadership, History, Marketshare, etc. have been moved to the Apple vs HP Thread.

Please keep this thread about what you think HP needs to do to be successful against Apple in smartphones and tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I think if HP wants to try to beat Apple it should start by seeing if they can produce a successful smartphone, tablet, other mobile device, App Store, music store, eBook store, retail outlet, software platform, product announcement, delivery schedule, or marketing campaign.
    You forgot a Steve Jobs to say no to stupid ideas...

You need a Johnny Ives to put out the great designs...

You need a Tim Cook to buy up all the parts you need in advance so you get good pricing so, the competition can't bring in a similar product at a lower price...

You need a Walt Mossberg to praise the product to the high heaven...

Did I leave out anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    You forgot a Steve Jobs to say no to stupid ideas...

You need a Johnny Ives to put out the great designs...

You need a Tim Cook to buy up all the parts you need in advance so you get good pricing so, the competition can't bring in a similar product at a lower price...

You need a Walt Mossberg to praise the product to the high heaven...

Did I leave out anything?
    A couple of things...

1: Fruit Logo
    2: RDF
    3: Public Mindshare: Announcing the Brandcameo Product Placement Award Winners
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Please keep this thread about what you think HP needs to do to be successful against Apple in smartphones and tablets.

LOL. Given those parameters, that might be what you call a topic killer.

Oh. KIDDING!!!!!
    Last edited by finngirl; 02/22/2011 at 06:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    A couple of things...

1: Fruit Logo
    2: RDF
    3: Public Mindshare: Announcing the Brandcameo Product Placement Award Winners
    The fruit logo is nothing without a Johnny Ives design. Don't believe me? Put the fruit logo on a Dell Inspiron 9300 and try to pass that off as an Apple product and watch people throw up.

I forgot the RDF.

You can't have public mindshare without great design to get people to lust after your product. Damn, I hope Johnny Ives gets paid well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Shouldn't they look pretty much like the rest of the world where the iPhone is on every carrier, yet HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, et al are doing just fine?
    Of course, they're doing fine (in a relative sense), but have you looked at who actually dominates the market there? Hint: it's not Apple, but they have a dominate lead in second.
    3. Folders
    iPhone Folders and Android Folders can each have 256 apps just 3 taps away: Home → Folder → app. There's a patch for that already. Just use it.
    Looked in Preware. no Folders patch. is there a WebOS folders patch to the Launcher or is this just firmly on the wishlist for WebOS users?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I think if HP wants to try to beat Apple it should start by seeing if they can produce a successful smartphone, tablet, other mobile device, App Store, music store, eBook store, retail outlet, software platform, product announcement, delivery schedule, or marketing campaign.
    Add "better timing". Stop releasing last year's tech late into the next year. And around iPhone announcements. And don't miss CES for mobile announcements and also CTIA. And last, get mobile products out before getting smacked down by others, like this year for instance.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by joachimv View Post
    Looked in Preware. no Folders patch. is there a WebOS folders patch to the Launcher or is this just firmly on the wishlist for WebOS users?
    No. No folders.

The sad part is that the one who did this first was Palm. But they stopped.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12