Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    AppleInsider | Motorola's iPad competing Xoom won't immediately support Adobe Flash

I still see no evidence that Flash is a competitive advantage. Besides the usual arguments against Flash, the biggest might be that manufactures are held hostage by Adobe. How many product releases have been delayed due to the lack of a promised update by Adobe?

Now, one of the top-line features of the Xoom will have to wait because of Flash. I wonder if the TP delay is at all related to Flash? I don't think it would be the first time in wOS land.
    Well its clear the xoom/honeycomb are being rushed to market a bit...but i wouldn't say Flash is really a huge advantage...its nice to have time to time, but if my next phone didn't have it i'd live.
    Flash isnt a bid deal for a phone, but for a tablet its kinda of a deal breaker unless said platform has Hulu/Netflix (I know its silverlight) apps.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It's probably the same reason we haven't seen Flash for webOS even though the demos have been out there for something like a year.
    I think it is meaningful that during the on-stage presentation, Flash was not demoed, just a video of Flash in action. The hands-off demos after the show gave a very limited presentation of Flash. This makes me think that despite all the Flash cheerleading from HP, Flash is one of the things holding back the release of the TP. Not saying it is the only culprit, just one of them.
    I think it's awesome that Moto promised Flash in 'the coming weeks'.
    yeah im not too sold on flash either, even with our pre's i really dont mind opening up a new card to play the video. Though on a tablet yeah you kind of need flash, my ipad though is fine without it, you cant do alot of basic things like pay some bills that use flash as a pop up inside the site. I dont think this will be a issue, I really think the price tag is. Def with the Samsung version will shoot to come out below MOTOS version.
    A 800 dollar Android tablet without Flash seems pretty silly. What (besides Android OS) makes this more interesting to the the potential Apple iPad purchaser?

Yeah, well mine sounds fast....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Sure it may be delayed and webOS may have had Flash delayed for some time but if the iPad is this "all wonderous, magical" device for "consuming" the web, they CAN'T SEE about 40% of the internet due to no flash.

Remove 40% of the pages from the latest Harry Potter book or cut out 40% of that hot new track your jamming to. Heck, even cut out a cardboard piece and cover 40% of that 50" HDTV and tell me how good is your experience?.

Adobe says Flash will be huge...when will Apple follow Android's Flash lead? | ZDNet

Jobs has told the masses "they don't need flash" but as Android phones have shown them an alternative to the "closed daycare" that is iOS (and iPhone os losing ground daily to the green bot) and people are accepting, what do you think will happen when people see that they CAN access that 40% of the internet they've been missing? Jobs will have to cave, or see iPad become #2 in that realm as well.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    A 800 dollar Android tablet without Flash seems pretty silly. What (besides Android OS) makes this more interesting to the the potential Apple iPad purchaser?
    Answer from an Android fan:

"Cause, cause, cause, you're a drone and I'm a Droid... and, and, and, you're mamma's fat! So there."

I suppose there are better responses, but in the end this is what it will devolve into.
    i never had flash crash on me when i was using an evo, and i used it quite a bit. also own an ipad, and the lack of flash on a tablet can be frustrating. its not a deal breaker, but it would definitely be nice to be able to watch a flash video on a tablet instead of having to fire up the PC.
    I really hate it when Steve Jobs is right.... But now that I have flash on my phone...it turns out to mbe almost useless. It's great for a webcast that requires flash to get the audio, but the video tends to be just a few fps and not worth using battery life to light the lcd.

has anyone found a decent flash game website so I can give it another workout for games? Supposedly that was a major reason for flash...
  12.    #12  
    I don't think it was ever about movies or games. You need an app to watch Netflix and Hulu anyway, and better games are abundant and cheap on mature platforms.

I think Flash on the phone was only ever about serving ads. The rest is just what you say to the public to obscure an unpleasant truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I don't think it was ever about movies or games. You need an app to watch Netflix and Hulu anyway, and better games are abundant and cheap on mature platforms.

I think Flash on the phone was only ever about serving ads. The rest is just what you say to the public to obscure an unpleasant truth.
    Why iPad (utterly) FAILS as an "Internet consumption device in 5...4...3..."

Top 10 Best Flash Websites of 2011

50 Beautiful Flash Websites - Smashing Magazine

60 Creative Flash Websites You Should Not Miss

DREAMWORKS ANIMATION

Toy Story 3 | Disney

http://www.newgrounds..com

Games | FREE Online Games & Download Games | Play Games on Shockwave

Action Games | Comedy Central

Free Online Games from Adult Swim Games

I could go on (and on, and on) but I think I made the point. When I ask iPad users about no flash, they say things like "This is just for apps and stuff, I used the real web when I get home." So once people realize that you can get the REAL web on a tablet....what do you think consumers will do? I use flash sites or sites with flash content EVERY single day, our intranet at work uses flash content, my kids use Noggin.com, PBSkids.com, and Clubpenguin.com daily, none of which are usable on the iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Why iPad (utterly) FAILS as an "Internet consumption device in 5...4...3...

DREAMWORKS ANIMATION

Toy Story 3 | Disney

I could go on (and on, and on) but I think I made the point. When I ask iPad users about no flash, they say things like "This is just for apps and stuff, I used the real web when I get home." So once people realize that you can get the REAL web on a tablet....what do you think consumers will do? I use flash sites or sites with flash content EVERY single day, our intranet at work uses flash content, my kids use Noggin.com, PBSkids.com, and Clubpenguin.com daily, none of which are usable on the iPad.
    I...agree with this mostly. I got a 3-year old with another on the way. These sites are invaluable on the go, which is why I'd rather have a slim netbook with me (I can tether my rooted Epic 4G to it easily).

To be fair, I haven't seen a mobile device other than a slim and light netbook that can handle any and all Flash easily.
    I don't think anyone disputes there are terrific flash sites. I just looked at your list though, and speaking for myself, I didn't see a single site that I visit. Ever, much less on any mobile device. Mostly those were very artistic creative sites - that are linked to show how beautiful Flash can be (which, as I said, is not in dispute).

If I don't need it on my main browser (I use Chrome with Flash disabled, and flick over to FF when I need Flash) I have a hard time buying its necessity on a mobile device.

But all said, doesn't sound like most people are really using it successfully anyhow. Only Apple has gone out on a limb with their direction as a result. The others have just promised and under-delivered.
    Why iPad (utterly) FAILS as an "Internet consumption device in 5...4...3..."

DREAMWORKS ANIMATION

Toy Story 3 | Disney

What's funny is most of these Flash-enabled sites either A) have an iOS app or B) content adapt to iOS devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    What's funny is most of these Flash-enabled sites either A) have an iOS app or B) content adapt to iOS devices.
    Which is fine. AOL made the same argument as they started walling off the Internet. I didn't go down that road the first time, and have no desire to do so now.

I can have my son sit down on any laptop or PC and browse pbskids.org with no limits. Or I can download 5 different apps to cover a handful of the flash games/content they offer and wait for the rest to dribble down whenever they get around to it.

I'll take no limits now.
    The number of websites not using HTML5 is monumental. Think every wordpress site in existence. Think of all the video services that aren't youtube. For the next 2-3 years, Flash will be an advantage if you use non-commercial websites and probably most commercial ones. Full re-coding of websites is no small undertaking.
    \
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I don't think anyone disputes there are terrific flash sites. I just looked at your list though, and speaking for myself, I didn't see a single site that I visit. Ever, much less on any mobile device. Mostly those were very artistic creative sites - that are linked to show how beautiful Flash can be (which, as I said, is not in dispute).

If I don't need it on my main browser (I use Chrome with Flash disabled, and flick over to FF when I need Flash) I have a hard time buying its necessity on a mobile device.

But all said, doesn't sound like most people are really using it successfully anyhow. Only Apple has gone out on a limb with their direction as a result. The others have just promised and under-delivered.
    Ok then, those were examples of "beautiful" sites that can never be viewed on the iPad. How about some more mainstream sites then?

Pepsi
    Coca-Cola
    PlayStation® - PS3™, PS2™, PSP® & PSP® go Systems, Games & PlayStation®Network
    Monster Energy Drink® | Unleash The Beast - Home
    Honda.com: Official Site of American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
    Television Shows, Series, Movies, Sports and Characters - TV Channel - USA Network -Homepage
    Syfy: Imagine Greater | Syfy
    Californication on Showtime: Watch Recaps, Episode Schedules, Downloads
    Doritos and Pepsi MAX Present: CRASH THE SUPER BOWL
    DORITOS PRESENTS SNACKSTRONG PRODUCTIONS

Again, NONE of which can be viewed on iPad. Obviously with 40% of the net using flash content, I'm not going to keep posting links (40% of several hundred million is a bit much.) but the point remains, TPad, Xoom, Playbook, can all enjoy the content offered at all the links provided.
    Ok then, those were examples of "beautiful" sites that can never be viewed on the iPad. How about some more mainstream sites then?

Pepsi
    Coca-Cola
    PlayStation® - PS3™, PS2™, PSP® & PSP® go Systems, Games & PlayStation®Network
    Monster Energy Drink® | Unleash The Beast - Home
    Honda.com: Official Site of American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
    Television Shows, Series, Movies, Sports and Characters - TV Channel - USA Network -Homepage
    Syfy: Imagine Greater | Syfy
    Californication on Showtime: Watch Recaps, Episode Schedules, Downloads
    Doritos and Pepsi MAX Present: CRASH THE SUPER BOWL
    DORITOS PRESENTS SNACKSTRONG PRODUCTIONS

Again, NONE of which can be viewed on iPad. Obviously with 40% of the net using flash content, I'm not going to keep posting links (40% of several hundred million is a bit much.) but the point remains, TPad, Xoom, Playbook, can all enjoy the content offered at all the links provided.
    Uh, have you tried any of those on an iPad? I'm watching the crashthesuperbowl.com videos on mine as we speak.

Keep up the googling though!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast