Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    After collecting herself, she said it will change their lives and she compared it to the invention of the automobile. After keeping my lunch down and rolling my eyes back into my head, I just chuckled, shook my head, and left the room.
    You chuckle but a lot of people - those who travel for a living perhaps, or who are out and about their community, feel the same way. Maybe not as theatrically as Oprah, but feel its a product that REALLY changes the way they manage information in their lives.

    I feel like a smart phone greatly changed the WAY I communicate in my online life. The iPad made that kind of a jump for me, only bigger.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by noahisaac View Post
    Not having flash is definitely a deal breaker for me. Hulu, espn3.com, game trackers on all the various sports websites, a million movie sites other than youtube and vimeo. Those are just a few thing off the top of my head. I want to have access to all those things on my phone, and to get them, I need flash.
    You're not going to get Hulu on your phone, and it won't be because your phone doesn't get Hulu. It will be because Hulu WON'T ALLOW Hulu on a phone.

    (And when they do, or as they do with Hulu Plus, its not going to use Flash anyhow)

    And I follow sports pretty constantly. I have yet to NOT find a game tracker on my non-flash phone that I can't use to follow a game. What games are you trying to follow with which you can't find a mobile game tracker for?
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Any particular reason why you hate flash so much? Aside from it making pages more animated, allow you to stream video clips, and build more complex web pages?
    Because it's largely unnecessary.*

    I don't care about a site's complexity, but instead about its usability. In fact, in most cases, the more simple of a design, the better the interface for the site is. Making a site more animated or complex is generally just unnecessary crap that doesn't do anything for the site, and can sometimes detract from the actual content.

    Especially annoying are the unfortunately still common animations before you even get onto the content you want, which for some reason some web designers still think are a good idea. Or then there's Flash menus that can easily be done in Javascript, but instead use Flash for some unknown reason.

    I guess my biggest problem is with poor design, but the use of Flash just exacerbates it. And sure, Flash can sometimes be used intuitive way, but especially now, there's very little of a point to it with HTML5.

    But in addition, even on the PC it's a resource hog, and not always all that stable either.

    *Yes, for a while it was the only way to do streaming video, so again it was a necessary evil for that, but luckily that is changing.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 02/22/2011 at 12:46 PM.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Why not? There is a "hacked" hulu app that uses flash that you can use on android devices (that are rooted).
    Maybe as an artist, I take issue with this but do we REALLY believe content providers should accept that we just take their art/production/content for no compensation?

    (getting away from the issue as to whether the ad revenue model, such as Hulu employs really pays the bills or not)



    Really, you're talking about theft, whether you believe it is justified or not.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I like that i don't have to compromise my web experience if i want. There are a lot of websites that are built on flash and its good to see i can still interact with them on my Evo.

    Btw, download this...gives you full flash games that work great on phones:
    https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
    I agree that choice is better than no choice.

    Ps, why did you post a link for me to find flash games on the android market? I'm looking for stuff I can access on my Pre2, and I didn't see anything there but android games. Did I miss something?
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Any particular reason why you hate flash so much?
    I know you were not addressing me, but I'll give it a shot.

    I don't hate Flash. I'm none too pleased with Adobe, though. Adobe knows full well that much of what Flash is used for is awful. It would be great for Adobe to be vocal about some BEST practices guidelines. Perhaps they should even post a Flash web hall of shame. They allow the nonsense to go on because they care nothing about end user satisfaction. They care only about remaining relevant.

    Instead of sorting out the mess that Flash has become, they want to make it the defining feature of the web. Worse, they want to shoehorn it onto mobile, touchscreen devices. This is like a shoe company insisting on selling sneakers to ducks. "Everything that walks must wear our shoes."

    If Adobe had any creative integrity, they would have started a new project the moment it was clear that the mobile web was the future. Today, we would have Mobile Flash Touch. It would be optimized for low-power, low-bandwidth, capacitive touchscreen devices. It would be ideal for the small screen experience. This product, I would gladly embrace. This is not the product we have. Based on how Adobe does things, we are never going to have this product, at least, not from Adobe.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    You chuckle but a lot of people - those who travel for a living perhaps, or who are out and about their community, feel the same way. Maybe not as theatrically as Oprah, but feel its a product that REALLY changes the way they manage information in their lives.

    I feel like a smart phone greatly changed the WAY I communicate in my online life. The iPad made that kind of a jump for me, only bigger.
    That's changing a life the same way a Kindle does, which is to say, not in a significant way.

    You want something that changes the way people communicate? Try Facebook and its 550 million users or so.

    The iPad is just another successful consumer electronics product.
  8. #48  
    I don't hate Flash either but I despise the way it works on my notebook.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That's changing a life the same way a Kindle does, which is to say, not in a significant way.

    You want something that changes the way people communicate? Try Facebook and its 550 million users or so.

    The iPad is just another successful consumer electronics product.

    Who are you to say it doesn't change the way someone else communicates?

    I "watch" City Council meetings, that I would rarely attend in person, in real time via twitter on my iPad regardless of where I am, and engage in discourse on it that I wouldn't do with my phone screen. Trust me, that CHANGES the way I communicate. (this is just one example)

    I rarely am more than 5-10 minutes away from getting/reading/and responding to email, and reviewing documents to proof (work related) when before, it would be 1-2 days.

    Those are just two examples, but really, you are not the world and I don't think its your place to speak for others on this issue. Just for yourself.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    As Cantafforditsaid earlier, and many hate to say, Jobs was right: Flash is no good on mobile, and the fact he came forward with his admittedly arrogant opinion, has spurred the development of ALTERNATIVES, and for that I am grateful.
    Just to clarify, I think Jobs was right in saying that Flash is terrible on a mobile phone. I don't agree with him not giving users the option to play flash content, and to ban it from the developer world (backed off since then). Too much flash content out there to ignore.

    And I TOTALLY disagree with any notion that Flash isn't important to a tablet user. It's a big screen, intended to consume media. I don't watch movies on my phone, but I certainly would on a tablet.

    I'm glad Flash is falling out of favor for use in site navigation and such, but flash content and flash DRM are going to be around long enough that users should be able to access it if they want to.

    Just want to make sure that I'm not being credited with agreeing with Jobs in more than a vary narrow sense. Just sayin.

    I bought his stock, but I don't buy his bull.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Maybe as an artist, I take issue with this but do we REALLY believe content providers should accept that we just take their art/production/content for no compensation?

    (getting away from the issue as to whether the ad revenue model, such as Hulu employs really pays the bills or not)



    Really, you're talking about theft, whether you believe it is justified or not.
    I probably am missing something here. Hulu generates revenue from advertising. Content owners, and (presumably) artists get paid by Hulu when ads are viewed. How is the notion of watching it on a phone is wrong?

    I'm a big opponent of pirating software, music, etc. But I didn't see anything that sounded like that in the post you responded to. What did I miss?
  12. #52  
    Who am I to say what I say? An observer who realized that individual cases of how an iPad changes your life or someone else's life has nothing to do with my point about it changing people's lives.

    If we're going to use that as a qualifier, the iPad changes lives the same way the McRib does.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Maybe as an artist, I take issue with this but do we REALLY believe content providers should accept that we just take their art/production/content for no compensation?

    (getting away from the issue as to whether the ad revenue model, such as Hulu employs really pays the bills or not)



    Really, you're talking about theft, whether you believe it is justified or not.
    lol wut? The hacked hulu app on android only gives you things that are free on Hulu on your PC.

    I'm not stealing anything. Honestly, if Hulu is going to block web browsers to access their site, they should stop offering any of it for free. There was even a great web browser that was made for TV browsing that ended up getting hulu access blocked because hulu wants to charge money to watch things other than the computer.

    Shrug...not sure what i'm stealing. If Hulu would hurry up, make an android app i would gladly pay for Hulu plus.

    I just have no reason too yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I agree that choice is better than no choice.

    Ps, why did you post a link for me to find flash games on the android market? I'm looking for stuff I can access on my Pre2, and I didn't see anything there but android games. Did I miss something?
    Sorry thats what i get for not paying attention haha.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If we're going to use that as a qualifier, the iPad changes lives the same way the McRib does.
    There is NOTHING that changed my life as much as the McRib.

    This post made my day.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Who am I to say what I say? An observer who realized that individual cases of how an iPad changes your life or someone else's life has nothing to do with my point about it changing people's lives.

    If we're going to use that as a qualifier, the iPad changes lives the same way the McRib does.
    You mean the iPad gives you food poisoning?
  16. #56  
    I probably am missing something here. Hulu generates revenue from advertising. Content owners, and (presumably) artists get paid by Hulu when ads are viewed. How is the notion of watching it on a phone is wrong?
    I'm a big opponent of pirating software, music, etc. But I didn't see anything that sounded like that in the post you responded to. What did I miss?
    I am not saying I agree with them or even understand their contracts with the networks, but RIGHT NOW the networks which supply Hulu with content says that it cannot be viewed legally on your TV or Mobile device.

    Presumably they have a different agreement for Hulu Plus (that collects revenue) that can be watched on your mobile device or TV WITH A SUBSCRiPTION. Now, you might not agree that they "should" charge you for it, but they do, as do the content providers.

    You are circumventing their revenue model. You want the pretties without paying.


    lol wut? The hacked hulu app on android only gives you things that are free on Hulu on your PC.
    I'm not stealing anything. Honestly, if Hulu is going to block web browsers to access their site, they should stop offering any of it for free. There was even a great web browser that was made for TV browsing that ended up getting hulu access blocked because hulu wants to charge money to watch things other than the computer.

    Ditto. That you don't agree with their business model doesn't give you the right to circumvent their revenue stream. If you watch on a Mobile device or TV, you are supposed to pay. Period. That they don't have an app for their device doesn't change that....
  17. #57  
    YOu say "it can not be viewed legally on your TV or Mobile devices"

    On what laws is that said? Because Hulu is actively blocking non approved browsers doesn't make it illegal to then watch it on something they have not blocked. (hacked hulu app in this instance).

    Id say news groups, which strip the content without the commercials is illegal as thats stealing video...but i'm still going their their method just not on an approved browsers basically.

    If there is a law against that, i'd love to see it. But right now its Hulu wanting to start bringing in more ad revenue (which i have nothing against) and they are really handling it poorly.

    I don't understand the point of blocking mobile and TV agents when Hulu Plus also includes access to a larger library of video. That should be their move...restrict free Hulu across the board...not based on browsers.

    But again...i have broken no laws....Hulu just hasn't blocked the current user agent many android users have been using.

    EDIT: To add, the contract is between Hulu and the content providers....not the end users. Hulu just has to do things like block browsers...if people find ways around it though, it is what it is. It not like i'm illegally viewing Hulu if i hook my computer up to my living room TV.

    Here is a good example:
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/02/tv-networks-for/

    Boxee, the software that turns computers and Apple TVs into media centers, has been forced to drop support for Hulu, the excellent TV and movie-on-demand service. Why? Because Boxee puts the shows on the wrong kind of screen.

    If you think this is absurd, you are correct. Here’s what happened, according to a Hulu blog post: "Our content providers requested that we turn off access to our content via the Boxee product."
    So if the content providers request it be blocked on the android homebrew hulu app...I'm sure there are ways they can get it done. For now...i enjoy mobile Hulu.
    Last edited by Brain Mantis; 02/22/2011 at 04:01 PM.
  18. #58  
    They have content and delivery that they charge for. Users are circumventing that charge.

    What about this do you not understand?

    I am not some piracy purist, myself, but own it, man.

    You want for free content (ie. Hulu on a mobile device) they want to charge you for.

    That they need to physically prevent you from doing it, doesn't change the basic premise.




    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    YOu say "it can not be viewed legally on your TV or Mobile devices"

    On what laws is that said? Because Hulu is actively blocking non approved browsers doesn't make it illegal to then watch it on something they have not blocked. (hacked hulu app in this instance).

    Id say news groups, which strip the content without the commercials is illegal as thats stealing video...but i'm still going their their method just not on an approved browsers basically.

    If there is a law against that, i'd love to see it. But right now its Hulu wanting to start bringing in more ad revenue (which i have nothing against) and they are really handling it poorly.

    I don't understand the point of blocking mobile and TV agents when Hulu Plus also includes access to a larger library of video. That should be their move...restrict free Hulu across the board...not based on browsers.

    But again...i have broken no laws....Hulu just hasn't blocked the current user agent many android users have been using.
  19. #59  
    Great idea. They could really make some headway in being the elite product in the category with this promotion.

    Motorola may only be offering the Xoom in basic black to the general public, but it's cooked up something a little extra special for the Oscars this Sunday. It will be handing out these limited edition gold Xooms -- complete with a custom leather envelope case -- to the hosts and the nominees in the Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress and Best Director categories. Guess stars aren't just like us after all.[/QUOTE]
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    They have content and delivery that they charge for. Users are circumventing that charge.

    What about this do you not understand?

    I am not some piracy purist, myself, but own it, man.

    You want for free content (ie. Hulu on a mobile device) they want to charge you for.

    That they need to physically prevent you from doing it, doesn't change the basic premise.
    See this is where its hairy here.

    Again, ALL CONTENT i can watch on my phone right now, is the same free content on the web. If i pay for Hulu Plus i get MORE content.

    The fact they "allow" you to watch it on your TV or Mobile is neither here or there. That's them attempting to control...and encourage people to sign up for their paid service.

    Again, would you call it piracy if my computer was hooked up to my TV and i was watching Hulu on my browser? What about the fact that I could use a tablet PC, the same exact size as an iPad, and still get that content on the go.

    Piracy?


    EDIT: I believe we are going to agree to disagree here....but all i'm saying is if i was getting Hulu Plus content for free...i'd agree with you. Right now, I'm circumventing their blocks on certain browsers by using one that is not blocked.

    It just so happens to be on my phone
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions