Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    So for those do not remember me, I am a huge WebOS fan. My original Pre is broken and I waited for Feb. 9th to replace it. Our laptop is also on the outs and we really only use it for web browsing. I was planning on getting HP's hot new tablet "weeks after it was announced." Instead I gave the Nook Color a shot.

I paid $250 + tax at my local B&N. I was amazing right out of the box, I never knew there were computers/tablets/PHONES that booted up in less than 2 minutes! This thing is fast. Also, that $250 price is important because i was planning on the high end webos tablet to be around $500. Instead, I see new tablets go as high as $830!!!!! The Xoom is priced very high as well. Way too much for me. I am very worried the webos tablets will be over $500

I have also rooted, installed froyo, honeycomb, and tried of other mods and hacks to it.

The hardware is awesome. The glass screen is beautiful and the touchscreen works pretty darn good. Removable micro SD card. The form factor is the bomb. The size is just amazing, I don't know if i can have a 10" tablet anymore.

Anyway, the Nook Color is way cool, except one thing! Android sucks! This has to be the sloppiest most confusing OS I have ever used. Yes, I know I tried unsupported versions.
    I have played with one at B&N. Seemed like a capable device especially when you consider the price. Have been considering a purchase.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Dang you make me want one of those real bad now! Any tablet lol
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    I was amazing right out of the box, I never knew there were computers/tablets/PHONES that booted up in less than 2 minutes!
    My home desktop fully boots in about 30 seconds to Ubuntu Linux.
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ

The hardware is awesome. The glass screen is beautiful and the touchscreen works pretty darn good. Removable micro SD card. The form factor is the bomb. The size is just amazing, I don't know if i can have a 10" tablet anymore.

Anyway, the Nook Color is way cool, except one thing! Android sucks! This has to be the sloppiest most confusing OS I have ever used. Yes, I know I tried unsupported versions.
    I have a Galaxy Tab and I agree wholeheartedly. Love the form factor but HATE android. At least froyo. Wish I could get webos on this puppy so badly. I honestly dont know if i could get a 10" tablet after using a 7" one. they just seem too big now. I figure since HP makes so many diff size computers and laptop, they will eventually make diff size tablets.

As for android I thought I would be amazed at the app selection, but i was underwhelmed, nothing particularly mindblowing. I do like widgets, but they seem all so muddled and non-cohesive. I mean it still blows webos app store out the water, but i was hoping for more. I actually found myself missing some webos apps. but mostly good multitasking and alerts.

how did the nook color run honeycomb?
    In the leaked engadget articles they stated a 7 inch one is coming next year.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post

how did the nook color run honeycomb?
    More than enough speed. A lot of bugs though. A lot of people are just using Froyo, which is what i think i'm going to end of having on it.
    I've been tempted.

How is it as a web browser? (either hacked or the official browser)

How loud is the built in speaker? Can you understand it in a car at highway speed?

Can it be hacked and still run the normal Nook books? (The interactive kids books look very appealing for long car rides.)

-Suntan
    What's the point of getting a device like that if the OS is confusing?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    @cashen it feels normal after a week using it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Is it really that confusing for you?

Nook is a great device. I got one for my brother and it's incredibly capable. I want a 7" tablet too.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    The stock OS is not confusing at all, but also lacks a lot of features.

Rooting, Froyo, Honeycomb are all confusing and have a learning curve.
    I bought a nook for my wife and she really likes it. She just reads books and some web browsing - no rooting for her.

I bought an archos 70 internet tablet at the beginning of the year (not the home tablet). It features 8gb of storage and a microSD slot for expansion and it runs about $275 when you can find it in stock. There is a version with a 250gb harddrive that runs about $350. The firmware is based on froyo and it's pretty stable and fast. Great for multi-media (includes an HDMI output) and web browsing. I use it for note-taking in meetings with quickoffice, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    This. And my Ubuntu desktop is an old Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz with 1.5GB RAM.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    My guess is it was a stab at the Pre (OG) more than anything else.
    don't see how you can compare a e reader to a un released tablet. I have personally never used a nook so I can't say, but the reviews I've read have stated it's a excellent e reader but falls short as a full fledged tablet. But like I said I've never tried one, and the price seems right on!
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    don't see how you can compare a e reader to a un released tablet.
    I donít think anyone can straight up compare one to the other. Itís more like comparing it to a device that has half the capability, but also half (or less?) the cost.

Each person has to choose for themselves, but at the same time, itís a valid discussion to have.

A 10Ē pad with full interoperability/sync-ability with my phone and enough power to do most everything is appealing. But a 7Ē pad that could do a good job websurfing (including flash), email and (very) light gaming for half the price would also be very appealing.

As for the OSes, I love WebOS. I do think it is the best thing out there in this market. Iíve used Android a few times and I donít like it nearly as much. That said, itís still just an OS. I donít spend the majority of my time working on the OS, I use the OS to get to programs and then use those most of the time. As such, I personally donít see the OS as the #1 consideration for these types of products. That becomes even less of an issue if a person chooses to get the cheaper pad with the expectation of using it for fewer things.

-Suntan
    I'm reading this and wondering what the use cases are for the Nook. Clearly reading books is one, but I'm wonder what else.

As for the form factor, is it better for browsing, movies, TV or the apps you use?

My use case is taking notes in meetings, email and apps made for the tablet. The more I look at the Apple app store, the more I realize I'll never use 98% of the stuff there. I need the top player in several categories to support WebOS. For example, Redfin/Zillow, Linked/Facebook, ABC/CNN, Mint/Etrade, Flipboard, etc. HP should be able to pull this off as well as good VPN, Remote Desktop, Facetime and meeting apps.

Since I don't do games, not sure what I'm missing other than having to wait FOREVER for a new app for the hot new it thing.
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I'm reading this and wondering what the use cases are for the Nook. Clearly reading books is one, but I'm wonder what else.
    Since the discussion is of the Nook Color, here's my $0.02. As an ereader the Nook Color (not the traditional greyscale ones) fails.

I decided to get an ereader for myself with money received this past Christmas. For my own needs, the Kindle 3G was the correct option, but I did look into Nooks. One of the strengths of the "true" ereaders (Kindle, Nook, Sony) is that they use eInk instead of an LCD. This means very good battery life (the screen is not constantly redrawn) and they are easy to see in bright sunlight. Nook Color came out around the time that eInk colour technology became available, but Nook Color uses a standard LCD. (I expect before too long Amazon will announce a Kindle Color using eInk). In fact, the Color is really just a highly customized Android Tablet (as you might gather from the OP's discussion).

The Kobo app on the Pre works, as near as I can tell from limited usage, and is probably a similar reading experience to the Nook Color (ignoring things like screen size). I suppose the Color makes a good enough inexpensive tablet, but given that it is not designed for that OOTB, I'm curious as to how much your average person really wants an inexpensive tablet that requires a lot of work before it becomes a tablet.
    Rooting, Froyo, Honeycomb are all confusing and have a learning curve.
    I was glancing around at some dirt-cheap Android tablets, but the nook looks like a contender. Could you provide any info on the rooting/flashing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    tried a nook color today for the first time. really didn't like it compared to the ipad reader. . I'd get an ipad over it any day. i'd even get an android tab over it. i just didn't like the user interface. it wasn't intuitive. i tried to pinch to zoom, and move between pages. it didn't always work. there were no page turning animations. moving around within the device took getting used to. Just didn't make that much sense. It's just not remotely the polished device that i'd want. even if all i wanted was something to read ebooks i'd save my money and get an ipad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast