Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    I was glancing around at some dirt-cheap Android tablets, but the nook looks like a contender. Could you provide any info on the rooting/flashing?
    Go to Nook Color Development on XDA-Developers

XDA-Developers main forum

The main forum have sections to answer general questions about software updates and rooting.

Upgrading, Modifying and Unlocking
    Android Software and Hacking General
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    I was glancing around at some dirt-cheap Android tablets, but the nook looks like a contender. Could you provide any info on the rooting/flashing?
    I am mobile right now but androidcentral.com has a Nook forum with how to do an easy root.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I'm reading this and wondering what the use cases are for the Nook. Clearly reading books is one, but I'm wonder what else.
    I’ll not try and guess at every use case, but I’ll give you mine. In two words: farting around.

These tablets will never work for me for business use, so they will always be just for personal/recreational use. As such, I do not have a demand for this/that-or-the-other-thing in a “productivity” setting.

Now even at home, it is exceedingly unlikely that these things will ever completely replace a PC for everything I choose to do electronically. So it doesn’t even have to fill the shoes of a traditional PC.

As such, all it needs to be able to do is allow me to fart around on the internet, let the wife check her facebook stuff every couple of times through the day, etc.

The true test, for me, is what it can do for me on the weekends we travel to the in-laws. Can it do some interactive books for the 3 year old on the ride down there? Seems they offer that in its default state.

Does it take up less space/weight than either of our laptops? Yes.

Can I doodle on the internet in the evening after the kids are asleep, while she jabbers with her mom on the couch and her dad snores loudly in his recliner? Looks like it.

Can I plug some headphones in and watch some shows/movies while laying in the guest bed at 9pm because everyone else has turned in and it’s rude to be creaking around the old farm house for an additional 2 or so hours? Bingo.

Now the question is, will the TP allow me to “fart around” twice as well as something like the nook color?

-Suntan
    Although a specialized use to be sure, where I am seeing tablets (and one rooted nook so far) a lot is over at the State Capitol. They have free wi-fi there and its great to be able to download and view all the most recent updates to proposed legislation as well as pulling up the current statutes and regs. Phones are too small to view al of that comfortably and laptops and even netbooks too unweildly to use easily or to show somebody else the text.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12