Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    you can't blame someone for copying something if you show it off and then don't get around to actually doing it in time.

Especially if you also don't bother patenting it. Have they patented ANYTHING since webOS was created?
    I'm sure they have patented something. But you can't patent an idea. Patent's cover inventions. Copyrights cover the tangible expression of an idea, (with some notable exceptions like bootlegging a live concert). To me tapping to use some bluetooth to share information seems merely like an idea they couldn't patent.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It's not even the same in that Touch to share is designed for you to use bluetooth to share information with yourself, the Android implementation using Bluetooth and NFC in conjunction to allow you to share information between any of your devices without pairing and also anyone else's device. It's a model with far wider implications for apps and novel information sharing activities.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    you can't patent an idea
    hah! tell that to appple! they patent abstract concepts!
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    hah! tell that to appple! they patent abstract concepts!
    The US Patent and Trademark Office is issuing patents. Apple is just filing the application but the USPTO is issuing it. And they aren't issuing patents for concepts. The do it for inventions. You may think they are patenting just an abstract concept but i'm sure if you read the patent you'll find that most of the time there is an actual invention. And even then, patent issuance isn't absolute. They can be contested and have to be defended. patent issuance can be contested through litigation. It's rare but there are times when a patent issuance can be reversed.

here's a recent apple patent application http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...le&RS=AN/Apple

even the first line is "Some embodiments of the present invention provide an improved rechargeable lithium battery."

regardless you can't patent an idea.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 02/21/2011 at 12:46 AM.
    I think this has been my favorite Apple patent: Apple's Vision of a Solar Cell iPhone Supports Prototype in the Wild - Patently Apple

How crazy would it be to have a device that charges when you're in the sun? With no need for extra accessories, just built naturally into the phone.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Interesting to see that the next range of Blackberries are all expected to have NFC baked in, I'll be amazed if the iphone 5 doesn't. Which will leave WebOS and WP7 as the odd men out and meaning that the Pre3 will be instantly relegated to "last generation" before it's launched.
    Quote Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
    yea webos didnt copy apples interface at all and make the phone look almost exactly the same. fan*boy's are so funny, every company copies eachother. surprisingly being the apple hater that i am, they are the ones that copy the least lol
    exactly the same? Nows that's speaking from xxxxxxx.

did you know what webOS looks like and feels like?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I think this has been my favorite Apple patent: Apple's Vision of a Solar Cell iPhone Supports Prototype in the Wild - Patently Apple

How crazy would it be to have a device that charges when you're in the sun? With no need for extra accessories, just built naturally into the phone.
    Considering most people don't use their cell phone in the sun and work indoors most of the day, I don't think it would fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Interesting to see that the next range of Blackberries are all expected to have NFC baked in, I'll be amazed if the iphone 5 doesn't. Which will leave WebOS and WP7 as the odd men out and meaning that the Pre3 will be instantly relegated to "last generation" before it's launched.
    I fail to see how using touchstone technology to share data between devices AS WELL as charge the unit is inferior to a technology that only shares information between devices. Seems to me that the NFC is inferior.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I fail to see how using touchstone technology to share data between devices AS WELL as charge the unit is inferior to a technology that only shares information between devices. Seems to me that the NFC is inferior.
    Best of luck paying for a coffee or the train with propriety touchstone technology.
    I blame Matias Duarte.
    Android will likely be developed more quickly than any other OS and throw more gadgets and gizmos into it than other OS's. That will appeal to the "Droid" crowd. Apple and HP are targeting a slightly different group. Apple is known for being idiotic proof. HP/Palm are known for productivity and being solid (until the Pre).

Copying has always existed and its just quicker now. NFC is probably 3-5 years from ubiquity, so it is just a cool gadget tech at the moment. Most people don't even share vCards let alone use NFC or Bump.
    Considering most people don't use their cell phone in the sun and work indoors most of the day, I don't think it would fly.
    Are you kidding me???? lol ahh it's ok, the air's a little more polluted up there I would have to say that there's a lot more out there in the world, than Dilbert cubicle workers out there. Also just fyi.....solar calculators don't need to be in direct sunlight for them to work. Sorry but that comment, most people don't use their cell phone in the sun is borderline hysterical......
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    They just added bump to share capabilities to the new updated Where app for Android and Iphone...you can bump between platforms.

Sfm Evo
    Really? A bunch of vampires up in here.
    I fail to see...snip
    The answer to your dilemma is in your first four words.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Best of luck paying for a coffee or the train with propriety touchstone technology.
    LMAO

Maybe the touchstone will have a built in solar charger.
    It's interesting how webOS boasts web standards but then goes proprietary for something like this.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    NFC is a web standard, is it? :P
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    The touchstone charging, and the touchstone "detecting" are 2 different things.

Palm could of easily put nfc chips in every touchstone, and every phone, No idea why they didn't.
    NFC is a web standard, is it? :P
    Not what I said. The operative word was "standard". In other words, they boast one set of standards but then go proprietary on something like this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12