17 30.36%
  • Screw HP

1 1.79%
  • Screw Motorola

6 10.71%
  1.    #1  
    Full break down, follow the link.

HP Pre 3 vs. Motorola ATRIX 4G - GSMArena.com

This looks pretty bad for HP. Mainly the fact of the other specs other than the Processor because in reality does webOS really need a dual core CPU for a phone? I don't really think so. But 4G, 1080p, and other tweaks for the Atrix and the fact that the regular Atrix will be out soon, and Pre 3 is UNKNOWN. This really questions webOS survival.
    The biggest advantage of a dual-core processor-cpu in a phone is lower battery consumption, so yes I think it really needs it!
    webOS needs as many cores and GHz as you can throw at it until HP decides to optimize the darn thing.

As for the poll, you forgot to include "None of the above" or "Screw'em both".

I won't consider a webOS product for personal use unless webOS picks up some serious steam in many areas.

I won't consider a Motorola Android-based product for personal use until they learn to stop locking down their products.

UPDATE: Looks like the Atrix has been rooted already. Perhaps Motorola didn't lock this one down as much as they usually do. Perhaps.
    Last edited by taharka; 02/19/2011 at 02:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I'm not sure what this poll is supposed to determine. I know that web polls are anyway, but this one is doubly so, given the self selection of the readers here.

Put it this way, if Pre3 doesn't absolutely trounce the Motorola in this poll, HP have problems
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    I also think it's somewhat hard to truly compare a phone that you never really used or even tested, except for the specs. I need to see more reviews of both. But with the Pre 3 being vaporware right now and only Atrix reviews being out along with the phone, this is too one-sided for the Atrix. A better comparison, iPhone 4 vs. Atrix.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    The biggest advantage of a dual-core processor-cpu in a phone is lower battery consumption, so yes I think it really needs it!
    except for the fact that the iPhone 4 can surf the web for about 1.4 hours longer than the Atrix. But it's not dual core, so battery is worse. funnier yet, the iPhone 4 can surf longer, has higher resolution, better screen (IPS), and better quality camera and still has better battery life. The Atrix has a Pentile screen which is much worse quality wise, but helps to improve battery life for the Atrix. In games, however, the Atrix will require a dual core just to handle the number of extra pixels the screen requires to display correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    better screen (IPS)
    I don't know that I'd call IPS a "better screen" on a phone. I kind of like my privacy and prefer people not be able to view my login information over my shoulder.

But hay, that might just be me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I don't know that I'd call IPS a "better screen" on a phone. I kind of like my privacy and prefer people not be able to view my login information over my shoulder.

That might be a matter of preference, but personally I find it annoying to see shadows and washed out colors if the screen is tilted a few degrees from viewing straight on. It's also the reason why ips screens are twice as expensive as regular tn panels regarding computer monitors. If you want to read more on the subject though, Anandtech reviewed the Atrix and explained it better than I could regarding Pentile vs IPS screens. Not to mention that colors are much more accurate and bright on an IPS screen as well. A lot of people pay a premium for IPS computer monitors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post

So, for the maybe 1 percent of the time when you would be publicly logging in somewhere and entering sensitive information, it's fine to have 99 percent less quality screen with a narrow viewing angle?

This is like saying you don't know if HDTV is "better" than analog SDTV because you liked it when you didn't see pores and pancake makeup on older actors.
    Did you really think this was the right forum for a poll like this lol

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    So, for the maybe 1 percent of the time when you would be publicly logging in somewhere and entering sensitive information, it's fine to have 99 percent less quality screen with a narrow viewing angle?

This is like saying you don't know if HDTV is "better" than analog SDTV because you liked it when you didn't see pores and pancake makeup on older actors.

HaHA believe it or not, i've actually heard that comment regarding a tv screen being too sharp or realistic. You begin to see make-up flaws, bad lighting, etc. Kinda like watching a live play.
    The iPhone is faster than any Android phone I have used. Yet all the Android phones were clocked higher than the iPhone.

The specs are secondary. Make it fast, make it last. That is all that matters.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Bad analogy time!

Android Phone manufacturers - kids fighting in a pool screaming that they can hold their breath longer, jump higher, splash harder.

Apple - Steve Jobs sitting in the hot tub with the ladies.

HP - Just out for a swim.

HP needs to find a way to get a better hot tub than Steve Jobs. HP doesn't need to start fighting with the kids about who can hold their breath the longest (Because they can't win). HP just can't sit there treading water.

Yay, bad analogy time over!
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
    Quote Originally Posted by TyBec View Post
    Bad analogy time!

Android Phone manufacturers - kids fighting in a pool screaming that they can hold their breath longer, jump higher, splash harder.

HP needs to find a way to get a better hot tub than Steve Jobs. HP doesn't need to start fighting with the kids about who can hold their breath the longest (Because they can't win). HP just can't sit there treading water.

Seems more like HP is still driving over to the pool. They'll dip a toe in the water in the coming weeks and then hope to dive in "in the coming months."
    unless they 'fix' the pricing on the laptop dock, the Atrix is just another android phone to me. All that power gone to waste...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    unless they 'fix' the pricing on the laptop dock, the Atrix is just another android phone to me. All that power gone to waste...
    Whats wrong, don't you want to pay 500 bucks for a laptop dock which costs more than an actual laptop? Lol.
    They both seem like great phones. My big issue here is the pricing for the Atrix. It's too expensive, and the dock and all this other stuff add up to costing more than a pretty decent laptop or tablet would cost.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TyBec View Post
    Bad analogy time!

Microsoft - gone back to the changing room to change from one pair of ill-fitting swimming trunks to another.

Nokia - forgot their trunks, have asked to borrow Microsoft's

Blackberry - Got into pool in old-fashioned diving suit, complete with air hose and lead boots.
    Last edited by tirk; 02/21/2011 at 02:20 AM.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Nokia - forgot their trunks, have asked to borrow Microsoft's
    According to Nokia, they had their trunks with them, but it was on fire. After asking Microsoft for a loaner, their swimmers started revolting because they still believe they can put out the flames and sew in a few patches in time for the big race.
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman821 View Post
    The iPhone is faster than any Android phone I have used. Yet all the Android phones were clocked higher than the iPhone.

The specs are secondary. Make it fast, make it last. That is all that matters.
    In terms of what?

I think the scrolling is faster sure...but the top end android devices run circles around the iPhone in terms of browser page rendering.

Also keep in mind the iPhone 4 is pretty much equal to the Epic 4G in terms of power...not like its a slouch.